Abysmal battery life on OnePlus 9 Pro, not improving with time, updates or troubleshooting

1. Soulshot96
    Froyo May 11, 2021

Soulshot96 , May 11, 2021 :
    I want to preface this by saying that other than battery life, I am enjoying the 9 Pro quite a lot. Only issues are very minor other than this and it would be a worthy upgrade to my 7 Pro...if it even got HALF of the battery life of that over 2 year old device.

And no, I am not exaggerating. It's literally not even able to last half as long as my launch 7 Pro, with nearly the same app loadout and usage.

Had the phone for about 6 days now, and for the first two days I brushed it off as just a 'honeymoon period' kinda thing. I was installing all my normal apps, spending a lot of time setting up things how I liked. Battery usually suffers during this. Whatever. But it didn't improve.

Some details:
    I didn't use OnePlus switch, just logged into my Google account and redownloaded my apps, without data, like I do with all new devices. I limited all the normal battery sucking apps background use (something I do on my 7 Pro as well), such as FB, snapchat, etc.. I cleared my cache. I installed the latest update (2.5.5, which did help idle drain but not SoT). I even left the phone plugged in overnight to hopefully kick in this magical android automatic battery optimization that people are talking about, but no dice. Though I had almost no hope in that one, as my 7 Pro, and both 8 Pros I tried (and returned due to display issues), did not need to charge overnight (not something I ever do) or days of waiting to get good battery life.

I've also installed a few apps, including the OnePlus Care app, to check battery health. All come back fine. Only things I have yet to try is running the android battery optimization manually via ADB (something I should not have to do to get acceptable damn battery life, but I digress), installing a battery monitoring app to try to see if its a rogue app killing my battery that the OS isn't showing me, or just RMAing...but that last option is likely to turn into a straight up refund if I get there.

Here's some screenshots of battery life / details;
    First full 100% to 15% day of use after setup: https://imgur.com/a/cFPNyYQ
    Where I am right now, today, after all the above steps to improve this: https://imgur.com/a/58HPVfG
    A recent half day of the same kinda usage on my 7 Pro: https://imgur.com/a/ocec3pg

Settings I generally run, on both phones;
    60% brightness in the day, 30-40% at night. Wifi on and usually connected. Mobile data and GPS on. Everything else usually off. QHD+ display res, 120hz on the 9 Pro, 90hz on the 7 Pro, also, AOD is enabled on the 9 Pro, and I do expect a bit more idle drain from that, but not to this level.

If anyone has had a similar experience, a vastly different one (with similar usage and standby), or has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. As I said, I love the phone other than this, but if I can't improve this it's going to be a dealbreaker.

TL;DR, currently getting about half the battery life with the same usage on my brand new 9 Pro vs my 2 year old 7 Pro.

Ray34 and P1619085809594 like this.
  2. Ghazala.Yasmeen
    OnePlus Bug Hunter Staff Member May 11, 2021

Ghazala.Yasmeen , May 11, 2021 :
    We understand your concern and relate to the issue you are facing and have contacted you via personal message.

Regards,
    Ghazala

3. lakshaykapoor99 , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , May 11, 2021 :
    I've been having the same kind of battery life on my 9 pro. My 4 year old OP5 gives me better SoT but again, the specs are drastically different including the display which is really battery hungry.
    It's a bit disappointing but I've faced this kind of phase with my previous phones as well, and hoping this will get better overtime with software updates.

One more unrelated issue I have faced is that when the battery is charged upto 90% or more, the battery stats do not reset which used to happen on my OP5. I generally only charge my phone upto 95-96%.

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  4. Soulshot96
    Froyo May 11, 2021

Soulshot96 , May 11, 2021 :
    I don't think I can agree with the spec arguement in my case tbh. As I said in my post, I had two 8 Pro's. They did go back because of display issues, but they both had better battery life than my 7 Pro did, with 1-2 hours more SoT (~8 hours was typical) with about the same usage and standby time. Also at QHD+ with the displays set to 120hz, meanwhile the 9 Pro is not even able to get close to the 7 Pro's level, with what is marketed as a more efficient display and what should be a more efficient SoC.

It doesn't make sense.

5. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert May 11, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , May 11, 2021 :
    I guess this can depend a lot on the apps on how they use the dynamic refresh rate for example. My particular battery usage remains about the same on 9 Pro as on 8 Pro.
    I bet there are a few situations that may drain more than on a different phone. But I don't have a clear situation where I feel 9 Pro is less efficient than 8 Pro (nor 7 Pro). So anyone that can prove that situation X is worse than on previous device it would be great it that is pointed out in a bug report.
    My SoT is wide spread depending on where I am and what I do from 6h to 11h+.

6. DaddedUp
    Eclair May 11, 2021

DaddedUp , May 11, 2021 :

Agreeing with this. Solely on wifi at home, I can get over 7 hours of SoT on a charge with 4% left. If I am out on 5G or LTE, I barely get four hours. Swejuggalo has a great post about battery optimization on the 9Pro that I followed nad has worked well for me.

7. Ray34
    Gingerbread May 12, 2021

Ray34 , via OnePlus Community App , May 12, 2021 :
    Bro it's some of the worst battery life I have ever had. My 7t pro was so much better. I don't understand why it drains so much. It's supposed to have this fancy LTPO display as well smh. I barely get 4:30 hrs of sot smh.

8. Rcoupe_XBM
    Gingerbread May 12, 2021

Rcoupe_XBM , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 12, 2021 :
    I do agree, battery life on 9 pro sucks. My normal SOT is about 4 h. My phone does not hold much apps, and in comparison to my old 3t and Samsung's d20 ultra this is now worst battery life.

9. Bhaskar243
    Froyo May 12, 2021

10. Ghazala.Yasmeen
    OnePlus Bug Hunter Staff Member May 12, 2021

Ghazala.Yasmeen , May 12, 2021 :
    We are sorry to hear that you are facing the issue with the device and have contacted you through direct message.

Regards,
    Ghazala

11. Ghazala.Yasmeen
    OnePlus Bug Hunter Staff Member May 12, 2021

Ghazala.Yasmeen , May 12, 2021 :
    We have got in touch with you through personal message, request you to check for the same

Regards,
    Ghazala

12. Soulshot96
    Froyo May 12, 2021

Soulshot96 , May 12, 2021 :
    I honestly think those with overheating issues need to get their devices replaced. My battery life sucks, but it has absolutely NO overheating issues. Not when warp charging. Not when recording 4K 120fps video, not when gaming. Nothing. Worst it gets is a bit warm on the back when charging, which is completely normal for 65w charging imho. Never got the overheating message once.

That said, the battery life is so pathetic I would probably just say return the phone for a refund instead of a replacement.

13. arabinow
    Gingerbread May 13, 2021

arabinow , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 13, 2021 :
    The battery life doesn't make sense. More effecient screen the snapdragon 888 is supposed to be more efficient. The battery is 500 mAh larger than my 2 year old 7 pro but it gets the same battery life.

Soulshot96 and Ray34 like this.
  14. Soulshot96
    Froyo May 13, 2021

Soulshot96 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 13, 2021 :
    I fully agree. I think the hardware is there, but I'm unsure if I want to wait and see if they will fix the battery life, or just refund.

Ray34 likes this.
  15. Ray34
    Gingerbread May 13, 2021

Ray34 , via OnePlus Community App , May 13, 2021 :
    That's the exact thing I have been saying for the get go. This is ridiculous, and oneplus had to nerve to hype this ltpo display and say it was 50% more efficient. Please please fix the battery. For a $1000 phone this is crazy

Soulshot96 likes this.
  16. dinamoski
    Honeycomb May 13, 2021

dinamoski , May 13, 2021 :
    Battery definitely improved after 11.2.5.5.
    Standby battery much improved. Before it used to drain even when not used.
    Haven't tested it it whilst in use.

Ray34 likes this.
  17. Ray34
    Gingerbread May 13, 2021

Ray34 , via OnePlus Community App , May 13, 2021 :
    I'm on Tmobile so who knows when we'll get the update smh

18. Soulshot96
    Froyo May 14, 2021

Soulshot96 , May 14, 2021 :
    Yea...that kinda thing is why I prefer the unlocked units.

Also, small update. Saw a small improvement after forcing the phone to optimize its apps, something it is supposed to do while plugged in overnight, but hadn't. First day after that only yielded a small improvement. Today got me about another hour of SoT though. About 4.5h SoT with about a day since full charge.

Still not great, but more manageable till OnePlus optimize OOS11's battery usage more...because after monitoring system battery usage, it seems something in there is definitely using more than it should. Android OS/System are using about 15% of my battery daily right now. Sent a bunch of logs off to OnePlus though. Hopefully they can nail this down.

dinamoski likes this.
  19. sjholland.sh
    Cupcake May 17, 2021

sjholland.sh , via OnePlus 9 Pro , May 17, 2021 :
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear about anyone having issues with the 9 pro. I thought I'd add my experience. I'm coming from the 8 pro and now have the 9 pro. My battery life has been similar but thankfully has been ok. I got this device when I seen the kernel dev for 8 pro moved to 9 pro. This was what pushed me to upgrade. The kernel I'm using is posted on XDA & GitHub and is called Omega. Also there is a thread the dev wrote from his perspective separate from the kernel thread on XDA. For me personally I've been happy with both devices. About the only thing that really kind of hurt was the lack of dual sim for unlocked US model. Thanks, and I hope things improve for the ones having trouble.

20. P1630788642649
    Cupcake Sep 15, 2021

P1630788642649 , Sep 15, 2021 :
    Hi, I have my OnePlus 9 pro for 3 weeks and AccuBattery app shows me the battery health only 47% to my surprise for a new phone at 960$ . Is that normal?

Attached Files: