[Accessory Review Challenge] A laptop is laptop after all, Lenovo Legion Y540.

1. Oreo.
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 30, 2020

Oreo. , Aug 30, 2020 :
    This is my review about the Lenovo Legion Y540 that I purchased a week ago, started using few days ago and started writing this review few hours ago.

Let me ask you a question,
    What do you see in a product as soon as you buy it? If you said its Appearance, then you got that right. Any product has to be visually appealing out of the box. Damn that person who said, “Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder” that isn’t totally true (unless you are saying this to your partner). Starting with:​

Unboxing:
    Lenovo Legion Y540 comes in a hefty black-blue box that feels very firm in the very first encounter. This assured me that there isn’t going to be any physical damage to the laptop inside. After opening the box, you can witness the laptop wrapped in a black cover and tightly secured in Styrofoam. Below the laptop there comes a power brick and adapter along with some guides. That’s it, did you wish to have something more within the box? I was satisfied that there aren’t any unnecessary stuffs packed inside, what more is needed other than charging cable.

1598804388354.jpg

[​IMG]
    Coming back to the appearance, you remember that question, right? That’s great. After removing Styrofoam and black cover, you get the first look at the laptop.​

Appearance:
    This is the most minimal, non-gamer looking gaming laptop I ever came across. On the top panel you can see glossy “LEGION” symbol right away (still there’s a surprise just wait) and there is circular ridge pattern all over it starting from the “O” of Legion.

Complete setup.jpg

Laptop is well built and it feels durable even though it has a plastic body. When you open the laptop (were you expecting one hand lift bla-bla? Okay FYI you can open it with one hand) it has got a smooth hinge and if you notice keenly, you will find Legion logo on the right side of hinge (Lenovo did pretty good job at the details).

Ridges.jpg

There’s a Lenovo branding on the right side of keyboard deck, minimal and goes well with the overall colour of the laptop. Wait! I forgot about the colour, Y540 comes only in black colour, you checked the pictures, didn’t you?

Specification:
    After the detailed inspection of appearance, next thing to be concerned about is the specification. What’s the use if device doesn’t have good specs. Y540 comes in few variants,

1. Intel i5 9300H/i7 9750H
    2. 8 GB RAM (Upgradable up to 32 GB)
    3. 1 TB HDD
    4. M.2 NVMe SSD
    5. Nvidia GTX 1650/1660Ti/RTX 2060
    6. 60Hz/144Hz Panel​

performance.jpg
    I bought Y540 with i5 9300H, 8 GB RAM (added 8 GB Crucial 2666Mhz SODIMM separately), 1 TB and 256 GB SSD, Nvidia GTX 1650 4 GB. Overall it costed me, INR 65,550 + INR 2,500 (Laptop + RAM).​

Performance:
    You really wanted to see this section, so let me tell you about the performance of my unit. The day I received my laptop, I started transferring all my games and I got around 35Mbps transfer speed. I was as eager as any person getting a graphically capable laptop for the first time. I installed Batman Arkham Knight and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, both games are graphic intensive AAA titles. I played both the games at max settings and I got these results (for anyone who is not able to interpret Benchmark tests, it was a super smooth experience):

1. Arkham Knight (V-Sync On)​

1598804469199.jpg
    2. Shadow of the Tomb Raider (V-Sync On)

1598804478845.jpg
    3. Cinebench R15 Score: 419cb

Cooling and Ventilation:

Alright now we know Y540 can perform very well but what about it's cooling? Okay, it looks cool but I am talking about real thermal cooling. Lenovo did a great job for keeping the temperature low. It has dual fan cooling system which draws fresh air from bottom of the laptop and throw the hot air towards the back. Make sure you don't block the airflow from bottom. There are 2 vents in the back and 2 on the sides. Y540 cools itself very well.
    Bottom.jpg

1598804410407.jpg

Keyboard and Trackpad:
    After some gaming, you must get back to work. Here are few words for Y540’s keyboard. Buttons have decent amount of travel; they are easy to type upon and have a nice feel while typing. Keyboard has got huge arrow keys on the right side and that added an unusual layout by shifting the number-pad above the arrow keys. But you can get use to the layout quite quickly.​

keyboard.jpg
    Mouse trackpad uses Windows Precision Driver which gives accurate tracking. It has got dedicated click buttons with tactile feel to them. These buttons often feel loud and I personally use gestures. And yes, mouse trackpad gets finger smudges very often. I prefer to use mouse instead of trackpad.​

I/O Ports:
    Y540 is packed with bunch of ports including 3 x USB 3.1, mini display port, HDMI, full size Ethernet, Type-C (without Thunderbolt 3) and 3.5mm headphone jack. Port selection is really good, and position of ports are behind the laptop which helps in keeping the space uncluttered around it.
    Ports.jpeg

Charging and Battery Life:
    Gravity alert! You have to carry the charger everywhere you take the laptop. Lenovo provides 170W power brick inside the box. Oh yes, laptop has 2.3 kg weight and the power brick weighs around 650 grams. This is the only disadvantage, yet it is portable (only if you carry the laptop and nothing else). With the beast performance I am getting around 3.5 hours of battery life. I observed Y540's battery performance in moderate conditions as well. For 4 long hours of simultaneous Zoom meetings, Y540 ended up at 44% of battery. I was really surprised by that, as gaming laptops often fail in holding up the battery life.
    Charger.jpg

Accessories and Misc.:
    Laptop has backlit keyboard with only white colour. Though I wished it could have RGB, but all the colour effect loses its vanity over time, so I settled for white. It has 2 levels of backlit brightness control and finally the surprise is that the top panel of laptop has Legion logo which lights up. That doesn’t sound like a surprise, right? I have used Asus ROG Strix G with similar specs but without light-up logo and it was way too costly than the Y540.
    Mouse solo.jpg

Lenovo also offers it's Legion gaming mouse M200 around INR 1,399. Legion M200 comes with RGB lighting (more than the laptop itself). It has got 6 buttons along with a DPI control that can adjust DPI at four different levels. Mouse feels well-built and the ergonomic design makes it very appealing to use. M200 has got the braided USB cable which adds to the durability of the mouse. I would recommend using any mouse along with the laptop. Though if you add M200 to your purchase it will complete your Legion collection.
    Conclusion:

Overall I am impressed with the laptop and its performance. Instead of going for 10th gen Ice Lake processors, Y540’s 9th gen Cannon Lake gives amazing performance at such a considerable price amount. I can confidently recommend Y540 to anyone who is willing to buy new laptop in 2020.​

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020

2. yashwant24

yashwant24 , Aug 30, 2020 :
    Straight and clean review [e]1f609[/e][e]1f609[/e]
    Finger smudges.....arghhhh, hate them.[e]1f602[/e]

G_plusone and Oreo. like this.
  3. Oreo.

Oreo. , via OnePlus 5 Midnight Black , Aug 30, 2020 :
    Had to cope up with them. But solution, use a mouse 🐀

1598806713655.jpg

4. yashwant24

yashwant24 , Aug 30, 2020 :
    Looks really good, I had a wireless one but the battery is dead.
    I'm sooo lazy to buy one😅😅

G_plusone and Oreo. like this.
  5. Oreo.

I'm living in reverse chronology, I bought the mouse first and then the laptop [e]1f602[/e]

Later I realised that I had a better deal for Razer Deathadder Mouse but I already bought the Legion one.

6. BeingIncog
    Nougat Aug 30, 2020

Starcommander, G_plusone and Oreo. like this.
  7. Oreo.

8. BeingIncog
    Nougat Aug 30, 2020

Oreo. likes this.
  9. Oreo.

I1596601787168 and Cupid22 like this.
  10. BeingIncog
    Nougat Aug 30, 2020

Oreo. likes this.
  11. Oreo.

12. Bipul Kumar Shaw
    Cupcake Aug 30, 2020

Bipul Kumar Shaw , Aug 30, 2020 :
    Pretty sure a Laptop doesn't count as an 'Accessory' review, but still props for that clean and readable review..

Oreo. likes this.
  13. BeingIncog
    Nougat Aug 30, 2020

Oreo. likes this.
  14. Oreo.

Haha true there, I might have sneaked in only one accessory that too the charging cable.

Thanks for reading the review though.

15. Oreo.

16. chineel
    Gingerbread Aug 30, 2020

chineel , Aug 30, 2020 :
    Accessory Review Challenge.
    My latest accessory a blue tooth headset noise Tune charge bass boost a headset which can connect with two devices seamlessly. I had connected it with my Lenovo ThinkPad as well as My current Mobile Xiaomi A3 while attending to Skype meeting or RnigCentral phone app or Go to meeting or Microsoft Team on the laptop. Or call on mobile or listen to music it gives me a good quality of sound experience. While listening to songs by the just touch of a button great boost to bass comes out in-ear. Overall, a quality experience of sound with my current accessory. Though if you love to have the greatest music experience nothing can beat to the Sony headsets. Noise headset can be better than most of the current headsets available in the market with a great price. Though I could not test any OnePlus accessories. With my all OnePlus devices. The reviews I had gone through says they also fell under the great accessories. The noise tunecharge headset has great battery life and quality sound output with splash-proof I will rate this accessory 7.5 out of the10.

17. manojsurya99
    Jelly Bean Aug 30, 2020

manojsurya99 , Aug 30, 2020 :
    Nice and clear.

What's the maximum angle to which screen can be bent with respect to keyboard. Is it less than 180° or more than that?

Oreo. likes this.
  18. Oreo.

You got the correct angle, it opens upto 180° seamlessly.

I1596601787168 and manojsurya99 like this.
  19. razzor228

razzor228 , Aug 30, 2020 :
    Nice Review! But I would suggest adding sources when you're using images which you do not own.

Oreo. likes this.
  20. Oreo.
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 31, 2020