[Accessory Review Challenge] An Ode to my Wireless Folding Keyboard

1. Black Forest Ham
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Sep 16, 2020

Black Forest Ham , Sep 16, 2020 :

Have I sold you on a folding keyboard yet? If not, rewatch the video. Repeat as necessary.

There are quite a lot of accessories on the market for improving one's mobile experience, be it speakers and headphones for improvements to audio quality, chargers and tags enabling a clean and wireless lifestyle, or even just cases and films for protection and a touch of flair.

This accessory however, is purely a functional improvement, giving the ergonomics of a laptop to the form factor of a phone. It may not be pretty, but it works. Presenting the wireless folding keyboard.

I've always been a fan of getting the most out of my devices, so it seemed a shame that my do-everything device at the time, my OnePlus 5, couldn't efficiently replace the duties of my laptop for lighter tasks like writing, spreadsheets, and notes, especially on the go. I decided to make an impulse purchase online and well, the rest is history. I've been using this keyboard for almost 3 years now, and it's still going strong.​

DSC05908.jpg
    The design of the keyboard is simple, yet ingenious in how the staggered and protected hinge allows for a seamless deployment, with the keys in the fold not compromised in shape or size. The anodized aluminum casing and matte black plastic inside make for a sturdy yet light package. Unfortunately, the keyboard is not backlit, with only two lights adorning the top for indicating caps lock/connection status, and power on/battery level.

DSC05915.jpg
    The layout of the keys is fairly standard, following a US key legend, with a few additions for ease of use. The function row (OS dependent) is integrated into the numbers, toggled with the Fn key, and the arrow keys are full sized, very pleasant for spreadsheet entry. The single quirk I still haven't been able to get over in my years with it though, is the lack of a delete key. Looks like it got deleted.

It's overall also considerably smaller than a normal sized keyboard, but this becomes less of a problem with practice. I have decently large hands, and getting up to speed was no problem.

DSC05913.jpg
    I was able to hit around 90% of my normal typing speed consistently, and though that seems like a hit to efficiency, compared to my Gboard swipe typing speed it's worlds apart, especially once factoring the time spent correcting inaccuracies from autocorrect. I also feel my hands would strain much quicker swiping on a touchscreen than tapping at a physical keyboard. Of course, the extra screen real estate from no on-screen keyboard is also a bonus.

keyboard comparison speed.png
    The performance of the hardware itself is definitely better than expected, with no noticeable latency, a satisfying typing experience with relatively deep-actuating scissor switch keys, and a battery life that needs charging only once in a blue moon. I've actually lost it for about 2 months once, having unwittingly dropped it in a crack between a cabinet and a wall. Upon its retrieval, it still powered on without issue, which bodes very well for its standby time.

I have to say though, it isn't a perfect product out of the box; I modeled and 3d printed a small usability modification to give a slight angle to the keyboard, and in this space I was able to fit a slide-out phone holder, making for an all-in-one solution instead of having to pocket another item, or use a phone case with a kickstand.

DSC05921.jpg
    If you find yourself often writing on the go, or find typing for long periods on a touchscreen uncomfortable, or even if you're just someone who wants to squeeze the most productivity out of your phone, it's likely a worthwhile investment to try a portable folding keyboard.

DSC05904.jpg

Thanks for reading.
    You'll notice that in this review I've neglected to include a brand or a product name for the keyboard, and that's because I can't find it anymore. It's no longer available on the site through which I bought it, and the brand's website doesn't seem to feature it anymore either. However, I've deduced through a few online marketplace searches that a single manufacturer makes these, and a bunch of brands rebrand it to their own name. If you're really after this model, any one that looks identical to it should be the same.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020

2. yashonagori

3. AbhilashSaikia

4. Bhargavesque
    Honeycomb Sep 16, 2020

5. Black Forest Ham

Black Forest Ham , Sep 16, 2020 :
    Here's hoping! :rolleyes:
    Thank you for the kind words!

I'm very glad you like it!

Get it. It's worth it. Trust me.

6. Starcommander
    Lollipop Sep 16, 2020

Starcommander , Sep 16, 2020 :
    Legendary review 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍 I have no words to say how beautifully written this review is. I am sure you will win;)

Black Forest Ham likes this.
  7. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Sep 16, 2020

YRJ , Sep 16, 2020 :
    I am at a loss of words. I know it's an understatement but every video of yours is simply fantastic!

8. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Sep 18, 2020

9. C1600160972401
    Donut Sep 18, 2020

C1600160972401 , Sep 18, 2020 :
    Thank you for this review! I have never heard of such a product before. I will definitely check it out. It will help me so much in my daily life