Actual battery capacity/battery health?

1. banditknight
    Honeycomb Nov 6, 2016

banditknight , Nov 6, 2016 :
    Hello fellow OP3 owners.

Can you check and post what is your device's actual battery capacity reported by battery monitor apps? I use AcccuBattery and it says my battery capacity is around 2800mAh instead of 3000mAh and my battery health meter is at around 92%. Is my battery faulty or is the measure wrong? Or may be that's normal?

Mys soft gold OP3 is only a week old.

UTI0, uncle_tek and kapilathi like this.
  2. SimonRam
    Lollipop Nov 6, 2016

SimonRam , Nov 6, 2016 :
    3000 on this, soft gold too.
    Try cpuz app
    Screenshot_20161106-122837.png

I did download the accu app though, it said I had a 3000 battery.
    Have you done a few cycles of charging?

3. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Nov 6, 2016

Tokolozi , Nov 6, 2016 :
    You know those appa are only a rough estimate right? I woudnf trust any of them

4. banditknight
    Honeycomb Nov 6, 2016

banditknight , Nov 6, 2016 :
    Yeah I am aware of that. As far as I know Accu tries to calculate actual capacity through a series of charge cycles. I am asking because its calculations used to be very accurate on my OP2. Anyway I reported a possible inaccuracy in calculation to the developer.

5. G_Dario_Saggese_uBKX
    Cupcake Nov 7, 2016

6. arnabJ
    Honeycomb Nov 7, 2016

arnabJ , Nov 7, 2016 :
    It shows me 93% reason being I charged to 100% which depeleted Battery's life span.

7. Hickey2007
    Honeycomb Nov 7, 2016

Hickey2007 , Nov 7, 2016 :
    lol. just the once?

8. arnabJ
    Honeycomb Nov 7, 2016

arnabJ , Nov 7, 2016 :
    Yeah, I got the device on Wednesday and installed AccuBattery on Thursday. I full charged the battery on Thursday night and it showed me 93% battery health. I highly doubt that it's even possible for my battery to get 7% depleted of it's life by just getting charged to 100% twice (Once from out of the box ~43% and once from 0%).

I just plugged it in for the 4th time since Wednesday. Hoping it doesn't shows me 85% this time. At this rate my battery would die out may be within 2 months.

G_Greg_Ybañez_vJrN likes this.
  9. Hickey2007
    Honeycomb Nov 7, 2016

Hickey2007 , Nov 7, 2016 :
    Its probably bad info from the app.

10. arnabJ
    Honeycomb Nov 7, 2016

arnabJ , Nov 7, 2016 :
    I have the same feeling. Waiting for an update to the app. Then will reset it's data to make sure fresh calculations.

11. ungeeked
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 7, 2016

ungeeked , Nov 7, 2016 :
    There is no way to absolutely find out.

The most accurate way to find it out would be to use an app like ampere with an added feature to plot the current as a graph over a time period and calculate the area under curve.

However ampere is known to be inaccurate itself.

12. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Nov 7, 2016

Tokolozi , Nov 7, 2016 :
    Most accurate would be an in line amp meter with logging features.

kylesweet and ungeeked like this.
  13. Kirakichi
    Jelly Bean Nov 8, 2016

Kirakichi , Nov 8, 2016 :
    No apps can measure the actual battery capacity.

I remember i jailbreaked my iPhone 4 (4-5 years ago, when it got announced newly) i jailbreaked it and there was a jailbreak app where i could see charging cycles that has been done to it, the total capacity that remains from X amount of battery capacity from factory. Even after resetting phone, those charging cycle logs never got wiped, so yea, it was burden into a secure path of the phone.

In android, i never saw any app that has this kind of feature, all phones like CPU-Z or other apps just have template info that got those depending on your device model, let's say you got OP2, the CPU-Z already got info about OP2 battery so it shows you that instead of what you got.

I had 7000mAh on my SGS5 and any app did show 2800mAh, this is proof that these apps have no access to see real battery stats other than measuring battery percentage by the amount of current and volt it has within it, which is that way determined how much a battery has for a charge.

Long story short, even with Xposed or Root apps, i found no any possible way to see real battery capacity, but what i know for sure is, no any phone in the world have 3000mAh battery (OnePlus 3).

Battery is always under 3000mAh, no matter what, either 1290 or 1280.

banditknight likes this.
  14. banditknight
    Honeycomb Nov 12, 2016

banditknight , Nov 12, 2016 :
    After an nteresting e-mail exchange with the AccuBattery developer and analysis of diagnostic data captured by the app the dev told me the following:

"This looks like a case of the phone reporting a 100% charge before the battery is completely full. Please try these steps for a more accurate benchmark:
    https://accubattery.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213575425"

I'll try to follow the steps. It looks quite possible that charging part of software is written to report 100% before it actually reaches 100% charge just to make dash charging look faster than it actually is.

Stroky750 and williamhaven like this.
  15. williamhaven
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 16, 2016

williamhaven , Nov 16, 2016 :
    Oneplus One user here. But same App, the OPO has a 3100mAh.

Results using AccuBatery on a 2 years 3 months old OPO:

Maximum charge @ 2464mah - 79% health

So with each charge the battery loses capacity and Accubattery claims that the app can estimate battery health by charging it to 100% and calculate how much charge the battery still handles. I would say it's quite normal for a recent phone to claim the battery is between96-100% but I find it odd that my 2 year phone is still running at almost 80%. I have a new battery (not original) and I'm thinking on switching them, might post test results with the new battery after.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

16. dsmonteiro
    Infamous Mastermind Staff Member Nov 16, 2016

dsmonteiro , Nov 16, 2016 :
    Also worth nothing, 3000mAh is the typical battery capacity. Batteries have some degree of variation between them. Some will be slightly above, some slightly below.

JP$ likes this.
  17. banditknight
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2016

banditknight , Nov 16, 2016 :
    That is true. But almost 10% variance is hardly acceptable.

JP$ likes this.
  18. kylesweet
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2016

kylesweet , Nov 16, 2016 :
    Actually....

I once took a brand new iPhone 4 battery and measured the capacity myself. I created a low resistance (high power) test load, connected voltmeter and ammeters, and logged data every minute for a few hours until it shut off (batteries have built-in undervoltage protection circuitry that cause it to cut off immediately from I forget say 3.0 volts down to 0.0). I converted the mAh marked on the battery to Watt-hours by multiplying by the theoretical "average" voltage of 3.7V and did the comparison in Watt-hours. Actually I remember taking data more often at the beginning of the discharge cycle because voltage changes really fast from 4.2 to 4.0. This was for a previous employer so I don't have the data any more but I remember calculating the capacity using this method I came up with and it was really close to the marked value on the battery, I think it was within 1 or 2 %.

You could probably do the same thing on your battery, but you'd have to take it out of your phone.

banditknight likes this.
  19. F_Dean_Otaku_Graham_dwXZ
    Froyo Nov 17, 2016

20. Mattes86
    Cupcake Nov 20, 2016

Mattes86 , Nov 20, 2016 :
    Hi, ive got the same measurement from the app. Something about 2800mAh. Just asking myself if i got a 2800mAh in my op3. Anybody else similar numbers??
    1479637056649.jpg

1479637056721.jpg