[Submitted] Add option to disable/remove Zen Mode app

1. Radu C.
    Cupcake Aug 12, 2019

Radu C. , Aug 12, 2019 :
    Zen Mode is nothing like digital wellbeing ...that would've been something most of us would welcome ...probably

2. Martingmadsen_DK
    Cupcake Aug 13, 2019

Martingmadsen_DK , Aug 13, 2019 :
    Agreed ... Remove ZEN mode ... What on earth where developer thinking, adding crappy system apps telling people to put down phone, without giving the option to force stop or remove the app

3. Alex meister
    Cupcake Aug 13, 2019

4. Denys25
    Cupcake Aug 14, 2019

Denys25 , Aug 14, 2019 :
    this app is great idea I really appreciate how one plus take care of its users life , to spend more time with family , friends , but for me this app isn't necessary since i use my phone not so often, to not use my phone i just can turn notification off and put in poket, and i not use zen app .. how i can uninstall it from system? , it just use space and ram for nothing..if no possibility please add it in future update.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019

Cert15z likes this.
  5. Longwalk63
    Cupcake Aug 14, 2019

Longwalk63 , Aug 14, 2019 :
    please add the option to remove this trash. picked up my phone to leave the house only to be told you have been using your phone a lot and need to take a break. If you want us to change phones this is how you do it. Nanny like behaviour, NO.

6. Vinaysalai
    Cupcake Aug 14, 2019

Vinaysalai , Aug 14, 2019 :
    Waiting from so long to get the answer. Please OnePlus help us to get rid of Zen mode.

7. markrosenblit
    Cupcake Aug 14, 2019

markrosenblit , Aug 14, 2019 :
    I purchased the OnePlus and then convinced two of my children to do the same. If you do not allow users to uninstall or disable this paternalistic "feature", this will be the last OnePlus that I or my children purchase. You are going to take a huge financial hit if you do not render this "feature" optional.

8. ItsaMario!!!
    Cupcake Aug 14, 2019

ItsaMario!!! , Aug 14, 2019 :
    Ok we'll need to see what Samsung has to offer next year, I can't deal with this crap anymore.
    My 5t goes into a sleep mode and power button doesn't work from a first try or it takes seconds to wake up the phone. Fingerprint goes to sleep mode when display is off for some time. A lot of malware like this thread is about. Shitty cameras with million lenses and they are all crap. Do Not Disturb doesn't work for all apps. No wireless charging. Fast charging doesn't always kick in when I plug the cable.
    Yes, I hope Samsung has to offer us something better after the Note 10 disaster, so we can leave this hell behind.

9. Thalasi83
    Cupcake Aug 16, 2019

Thalasi83 , Aug 16, 2019 :
    +2 Add my wife and I to the list. We can no longer use our Arlo baby monitor app for more than 2 hours. This is unacceptable. Now we need to invest in a new baby monitoring solution (the Arlo was not cheap) that doesn't rely on our suddenly unreliable phones or invest in new reliable phones. These were our first OnePlus devices and if we are not able to disable or remove Zen Mode they will be our last.

10. Xetmes
    Froyo Aug 16, 2019

Xetmes , Aug 16, 2019 :
    @Manu J. can we get some answer from Devs, I don't think it is so hard to give option to disable/remove this app.

11. GB2
    Cupcake Aug 16, 2019

GB2 , Aug 16, 2019 :
    I would like the option to remove it as well. I woke up after sleeping for 8 hours for it to tell me my phone was being used for more than 5 hours. No casting, no music, nothing.

12. Nasher
    Cupcake Aug 17, 2019

Nasher , Aug 17, 2019 :
    Why we cannot remove this piece of garbage from our phones? It's using my battery, my data plan(???). What the hell, OnePlus?

13. Cert15z
    Donut Aug 17, 2019

Cert15z , Aug 17, 2019 :
    Devs,

Can we please get a response? I don't won't this to be my last one plus device, but it might be if I don't get an option to disable or remove Zen Mode!

14. MarcW1
    Froyo Aug 18, 2019

MarcW1 , Aug 18, 2019 :
    The OnePlus 6 is the first (and looking like it will be the ONLY) phone I've bought from OnePlus and it seems software development if OnePlus' week point.
    How could nobody who works for OnePlus not realize Zen mode without the option to disable or remove is a terrible idea???
    The app to get to the forum is terrible, far inferior to simply using a web browser, the forum's search function is next to useless, the phone's camera software and image processing is very mediocre. It seems OnePlus hardware is great, OnePlus software is terrible.
    Now this Zen mode disaster will be the last straw for me as to deciding if I will buy another OnePlus phone in the future if it doesn't get fixed, i.e. options to disable AND remove.

15. V1543877484217
    Donut Aug 18, 2019

V1543877484217 , Aug 18, 2019 :
    Please remove Zen mode it eating Data without using it. I don't need this application everything was fine.
    1566166864592.jpg

16. edgardogho
    Cupcake Aug 19, 2019

edgardogho , Aug 19, 2019 :
    there should be an option to fully stop zen mode from running. I stopped using Apple devices because I did not want a company making decisions for me... I think it's a good idea to have Zen Mode as an option for someone that wants it, but it has to be disable by default or at least have an option to disable it completely .
    1566197814126.jpg

17. eijdennick
    Cupcake Aug 19, 2019

18. rmckenzi
    Cupcake Aug 19, 2019

rmckenzi , Aug 19, 2019 :
    Throwing in my +1 to have a way to REMOVE this "feature". I bought oneplus because it has zero bloatware. This has now ruined that. Kept coming up during prolonged satnav use, which is stupid.

19. X1554480247167
    Cupcake Aug 19, 2019

X1554480247167 , Aug 19, 2019 :
    Before today I'd never even heard of Zen Mode. Never enabled it. Never wanted anything like it.

This day alone, I've seen this notification twice: "You've been using your phone continuously for more than 2 hours"
    The first time was shortly after waking up in the morning.
    The second time was after my phone had been in my pocket for 10 minutes.

If I'm unconscious (and I live alone) I cannot be using my phone. If my phone is on the dang end table without any hands touching it no one is using the phone. My phone has accelerometers. It has capacitive touch sensors built into the screen. It has sensors built in which can even determine it's current rotation in space. And yet apparently I was somehow using the phone that my unconscious body wasn't even touching. And not only using it, but using it CONTINUOUSLY.

Hell, the light sensor that puts the screen in "pocket mode" whenever I put my thumb over it does a better job at detecting when I'm not using my phone than this crap app does. If the screen isn't lit up then most of the time that means I'm not using the phone.

OnePlus, you're misguided app doesn't even work. Remove it. It's stupid. Phenomenally stupid.

If I wanted to make my phone an unusable brick temporarily every day at seemingly random intervals I'd run down the battery and only ever charge it to 10% capacity. No app required for that.

Or you know I could even just turn the phone off. There's a literal button on the side of the phone that functionally lets me "render unusable until you press this button again." No app required for that.

But then that would be unusability on my schedule on my terms something that this app seems unwilling to offer. Apparently OnePlus has decided that I'm not capable of being trusted with my own damn health.

Hell, I don't even use social media on my phone. I'm a desktop kinda guy. Because touchscreens have always had lower precision than a mouse and keyboard. So this phone wouldn't even remotely succeed at its purported mission if I wanted to use it cause I could just use a different damn device.

Here's a use case that would be awful for consumers using Zen Mode. Using their phone and GPS to navigate while driving. Some road trips take more than 2 hours. You've literally taken that person's magic "get me home when I'm lost" map and then forced them to wait in an unfamiliar location for 20 minutes before they can once again try to get home.

Sorry Sandra, Uncle Jimmy can't make it to your birthday party because technology is evil and can't be trusted so the lords of OnePlus decided to disable his phone. Now he is cursed to restlessly roam unfamiliar roads without direction and an ever mounting anxiety. All in the name of OnePlus's divinely mandated conception of health.

I'm aware Uncle Jimmy can use a paper map, but before he didn't need one. Because there was a map on his phone. Because phones are tools. They are useful. They are good things.

I'm also aware this is mostly hyperbole and overreaction. But seriously this app is so ill conceived. It deserves scorn.

20. G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj
    Eclair Aug 20, 2019

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj , Aug 20, 2019 :
    First you only offer a new phone in the USA this year with those idiotic curved edge screens, and now you force this crazy warning onto us with no way to disable it! If this is your idea of good customer service and what you call listening to your customers and providing them with what they want... You seriously need a new translator because the one you have is completely broken! This oneplus 6t is me first oneplus device and I bought it because of the large screen size and the smallwater drop notch but if this is how you treat your customers I will never buy another oneplus device nor will I recommend your products to anyone ever! Offer us phones with totally flat screens and do NOT force any notifications on us that we don't have the option to turn OFF!