[Submitted] Add option to disable/remove Zen Mode app

1. M1572012422383
    Cupcake Oct 25, 2019

M1572012422383 , Oct 25, 2019 :
    I've been buying OP for many years. If you don't allow to us to remove or completely disable this incredibly intrusive and insulting app very soon, my time as a OP customer will be over and I will never look back.

2. Mr.Round
    Cupcake Oct 25, 2019

Mr.Round , Oct 25, 2019 :
    It seemed to have worked. I have not received a notification from Zen Mode since. Last night, I was gaming for 2 hrs and did not get a notification.

3. Metathiax
    Cupcake Oct 25, 2019

Metathiax , Oct 25, 2019 :
    Looks like root is the only way to got rid of this, which I really would rather avoid.

Chasebank likes this.
  4. Chasebank
    Donut Oct 26, 2019

Attached Files:

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj likes this.
  5. adytoader
    Cupcake Oct 27, 2019

6. phucyu
    Cupcake Oct 28, 2019

phucyu , Oct 28, 2019 :
    You CAN disable this application. I did it on my wife's non-rooted phone (mine is rooted). Follow these steps:

1) Go here https://androidmtk.com/download-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-tool - download the latest version of Minimal ADB and Fastboot then install it on your PC (assuming you're using Windows).

2) Go to your phone and activate Developers Options. To do this, go Settings -> About Phone and tap Build Number 7 times (it'll say "You're a Developer").

3) Now hit Settings and scroll down until you see Developers Options. Tap that and turn it on (at the top of the screen), then scroll down to USB Debugging and turn it on. Ignore silly warning messages, if any.

4) Plug your phone into a USB port on the PC. Now locate the folder where you installed Minimal ADB and Fastboot and open a command prompt window.

5) To make sure you're properly connected, type adb devices. If the screen shows the phone's serial number (7 or 8 numbers/letters), you're connected and ready to go.

6) Now type adb shell pm disable-user com.oneplus.brickmode. If it shows some text and (most importantly) the word "disabled", you did it! This Zen Mode garbage will never bother you again. To be sure, go to Settings -> Apps and Notifications -> See all XXX apps. Hit the 3 dots at the upper right hand corner and tap Show System. Now scroll all the way to the bottom to Zen Mode. It will now read "disabled" to the right of the name.

This is tested and working. Many thanks to the great people at XDA Developers.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019

nolandc, Jeff1973, kssmybass and 4 others like this.
  7. adytoader
    Cupcake Oct 28, 2019

adytoader , Oct 28, 2019 :
    Many thanks, is disabled.

8. Xetmes
    Gingerbread Oct 28, 2019

Xetmes , Oct 28, 2019 :
    Important info, use command without "." on end, working like charm ;)
    Code:
    adb shell pm disable-user com.oneplus.brickmode

9. phucyu
    Cupcake Oct 29, 2019

phucyu , Oct 29, 2019 :
    I'm glad I was able to help. We are NOT going to put up with this intrusive malware and OnePlus need to know it. I encourage all fellow ZenMode haters to apply this hack, the sooner the better.

You can use this very same hack to save some battery power and improve privacy as follows:

adb shell pm disable-user com.android.traceur -- This is System Tracing which is automatically enabled when developer options is on.

adb shell pm disable-user com.oneplus.opbugreportlite -- OnePlus bug reporting.

adb shell pm disable-user net.oneplus.odm -- OnePlus logging

adb shell pm disable-user net.oneplus.odm.provider -- more OnePlus logging.

There's a ton of things you can do with ADB and Fastboot. For a full list, go here https://www.androidjungles.com/adb-fastboot-commands

All this, including the ZenMode hack, can easily be reversed. Same command, just replace "disable" with "enable". All these hacks are tested and working. Of course if you're rooted, don't even bother with the ZenMode hack. Download Titanium Backup and remove the malware completely.

Before I forget. For those of you who are planning to ditch OnePlus because of Zen, be advised -- I've had several different Android phones, and in my experience OnePlus phones are probably the most hackable. As you've seen, even their beloved ZenMode is not impervious to disabling.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019

Jaxis96, Jeff1973, kssmybass and 2 others like this.
  10. pless84
    Cupcake Oct 29, 2019

pless84 , Oct 29, 2019 :
    OPO really needs to remove this crap, and I'm not going to do command line crap just to remove it but I might return my device and buy something else.

11. infinityplus1
    Honeycomb Oct 31, 2019

infinityplus1 , Oct 31, 2019 :
    Thanks! It looks like it's worked.
    I think OP will lose customers (including me) over this. Just look at all of the 1* reviews pouring in on the Play Store.

Jeff1973 likes this.
  12. phucyu
    Cupcake Nov 2, 2019

phucyu , Nov 2, 2019 :
    If you saw the word "disabled" in ZenMode on apps list as explained in my previous post, then rest assured it's fully disabled and will never bother you again. And I agree that, given enough complaints, 1+ will back down and at least make this malware easy to disable, if not remove it completely.

And speaking of removal, I was doing some Google-ing and maybe found a way to possibly remove Zen mode and other packages completely, not just disable them. I'm rooted and I already removed Zen Plus with Titanium Backup (requires root) but for those of you who aren't rooted and want to test this, go back to the command prompt and issue this command:

adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.oneplus.brickmode

Let me know if it worked. I tested this successfully with the fingerprint app, which I have no use for. You can type adb shell pm list packages to see all installed packages.

One thing I've noticed is that when you remove an unwanted system app and subsequently upgrade the OS, the app usually comes back and you have to reinstall it again. This doesn't happen if you simply disable it. Given this, I suppose the only advantage of removing versus uninstalling is that you'll save some space on the phone.

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and kssmybass like this.
  13. mikhnal
    Donut Nov 6, 2019

mikhnal , Nov 6, 2019 :
    Ten thousand kudos to @phucyu, TYVM for your "how to" to remove this unnecessary app! It works on non-root OP6.

14. phucyu
    Cupcake Nov 9, 2019

phucyu , Nov 9, 2019 :
    Many of you have understandably said you'd like to replace your 1+ phone for another brand due to the introduction of ZenMode. Let me ask: if you went this route, what phone would you buy? From what I've been reading, other manufacturers aren't just adding more bloatware but making them impossible to disable, let alone remove. As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) it seems 1+ is the least bad as of this writing. So far all they have is ZenMode which, as is shown, can be disabled and/or removed without root despite their restrictions. I wouldn't be surprised if it, given so many customer complaints, they end up getting rid of it completely.

So... any other brand phone recommendations?

kssmybass likes this.
  15. Chasebank
    Donut Nov 11, 2019

Chasebank , Nov 11, 2019 :
    Straight to the source... A Google Pixel. Maybe a generation behind to address any pricing concerns. I don't really see any other alternative that would inspire confidence in both hardware AND software. Otherwise, it'd be back to Apple, which I really don't want to do.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj and kssmybass like this.
  16. X1567068387186
    Cupcake Nov 18, 2019

X1567068387186 , Nov 18, 2019 :
    I use OnePlus for two months and I regret sooooo much to have bought one! Everytime I get a notification of Zen Mode (when I'm working on Quizlet or seraching vocabulary or anything else useful for my studies), I get so angry I lost 2-3 hours on the internet to find a solution to remove it (I was studying and I'm losing my time with this s***) and we still can't do it. It's a shame and I'm so angry, I'm thinking about buying a new phone just two months after this one when I'm used using my phones for years!

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj likes this.
  17. flipper100000@gm
    Cupcake Dec 24, 2019

flipper100000@gm , Dec 24, 2019 :

18. G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj
    Froyo Dec 29, 2019

G_Mark_Dunn_JMmj , Dec 29, 2019 :
    The others may come with some bloat in them but they've never HIDDEN an app that sends rude notifications to it's user telling them to put their phone down and go enjoy life after using their phone for two hours. Especially when it's your navigation app or your alarm clock that was the app in use. Then TOTALLY ignored thousands of complains from their users asking for this app to be removed or at the very least a way to disable it because it's using or data and battery. Then they've filled apps ratings in the play store with fake positive 5 star reviews praising this spyware they've forced onto us. Never will I Settle for a company that treats it's customers like this. Never Again is now my motto towards OnePlus all because of this ridiculous Zen Mode and the way they've treated us with it.

19. MirceaForce
    Gingerbread Jan 22, 2020

MirceaForce , Jan 22, 2020 :
    so what I have read around this threat is that you cannot disable zen via disable button I'm waiting to receive my oneplus 7t pro, what if I don't activate zen mode at all it will still be active ?

20. beneth
    Cupcake Feb 7, 2020

beneth , Feb 7, 2020 :
    Please oneplus listen to your customers and allow us to desinstall this useless application.

Thx

Q1555176722523 likes this.