Add Shield Off Power Button Features While Phone is Lock

?

Do want Shield Off Power Button Features?

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  1. amanjuman Donut Jul 11, 2019

amanjuman, Jul 11, 2019 :
    I'm using OnePlus for a couple of years. So far, I used four OnePlus devices. I love OnePlue because of it's lite and smooth. Unlike other phone, lots of stuff comes which drain RAM a lot. But one thing disappointed me which is there is no built-in security option from OnePlus end like Samsung and Apple do.

The reason I bring this request: I live in a country where phone getting lost or stolen is a daily matter. I lost my First OnePlus 5; someone entered my room while I was sleeping and took my phone. Yeah, it's obvious he turned off the phone when he got it. I tried to track it from Google, but it was never online. Later I went police station to file a complaint. As there is too much phone lost or stolen cases, they never used to help to get back the phone. Instead, they will ensure if someone does something illegal using your lost phone. It just all about a paper. So basically there is no way to get back your phone even after complaining law enforcement agency.

What is my thinking? We know all of the OnePlus phones got the non-removable battery. If there is an option to in security section that, If a user wants to enable lockdown Power Button while the phone is locked. So this will prevent an unauthorised user from turning off the phone while the phone is locked. Let explain it a natural way,

I locked my phone just like regular lock we use as Finger, Pin or Pattern. Right now we can power off our phone while in Lock Screen, even we can turn off/turn on wifi, mobile data from the sidebar. What I like to say, If my phone is in the locked state and someone stanched my phone he will turn off it as soon as possible so that I can not track it from Google or any third parties. So If I enable that features it will not allow anyone to turn off or reboot phone while in lock screen even accessing sidebar, instead it will ask for pattern or pin. By this way, I can track my phone (I considered my phone always connected with Data) from Google. I know there are a couple off third parties app available in Play Store, but some of them are working on Android 8.0 or less or not work properly. If OnePlus bring that feature, It would be an excellent way to secure your phone.

I know someone can easily pop out the sim card by that situation, in that condition OnePlus could bring SMS alert like when someone put new sim inside the phone it will trigger SMS to the number which was configured in settings. Also, OnePlus can let the user choose how much time to force turn off the phone in that situation. So this will create random time for each user aspect as Android has a 10-sec option.

I'm not good at English, I might not be able to express what I like to talk, but I hope people like me love this request.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019

Sai KrishnaD likes this.
  2. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 11, 2019

KeepTransisting, Jul 11, 2019 :
    The thing is, this will always be easily bypassed. For example, all they have to do is hold the power button for 10 seconds to force a reboot. That's a safety that's built into Android. They could also go a step further and just take a paperclip and pop out your SIM card, negating any tracking features over mobile networks.

The simple fact is that if your phone gets stolen, 99% of the time you're never going to see it again. That's the unfortunate truth.

3. amanjuman Donut Jul 11, 2019

amanjuman, Jul 11, 2019 :
    That's true, but that shouldn't be the reason to have these features. Like if I enable connect Open wifi from the settings, at least there will be hope and not all thief is smart. If you think like that way, there is no point to use a phone just because of the phone might get snatched or stolen.

4. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 11, 2019

KeepTransisting, Jul 11, 2019 :
    I'm just saying that, considering this feature would do absolutely nothing to prevent a phone from getting stolen, I would rather the development team focus their efforts on more meaningful features and bug-fixes.

5. Muhsin_Sultan Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2019

Muhsin_Sultan, Jul 12, 2019 :
    Correct. My old Samsung galaxy s6 always asked for the pin before turning off when locked. at least some kinda lock would help, even though it can be force rebooted

6. Muhsin_Sultan Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2019

7. amanjuman Donut Jul 14, 2019 at 8:55 PM

amanjuman, Jul 14, 2019 at 8:55 PM :
    I was sleeping my room and checked my phone at 9.55AM. Then I went sleeping, mean time my room mate went washroom and someone entered the flat and took my phone. I was checking my phone while I was sleeping and I didn't get my phone tyere. Then I woke up and checked whole room. Immediately we all try to go outside and we figure out thief locked out the room from outside. Phone was stolen just 3 minutes ago before I woke up.

Another one was snatched while I was in Rickshaw. Tow bike riders snatched the beg and immediately turned off the phone!

Muhsin_Sultan and Sai KrishnaD like this.
  8. Muhsin_Sultan Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 15, 2019 at 11:43 AM

Muhsin_Sultan, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:43 AM :
    still don't understand how the thief managed to enter your room. you didn't lock it?

9. amanjuman Donut Jul 18, 2019 at 10:42 AM

amanjuman, Jul 18, 2019 at 10:42 AM :
    Somehow someone opened the door and let it take away , I suspect it was maid who waa cooking that time.