Added Wireless Qi Charging - NOT for the faint of heart

1. Stadsport
    Froyo Jan 21, 2015

Stadsport , Jan 21, 2015 :
    The only thing the One really lacks that was almost a dealbreaker for me was the lack of wireless charging support. My Nexus 4, 5, and 7 have spoiled me in this regard and I keep wireless chargers at work and home because of it.

So I picked up a wireless charging receiver from Amazon, these are the thin sticker type that you just put under your case or under the back cover of your phone, and set about doing some tinkering.

Through experimenting, I also found that the NFC antenna interfered with it. If you put the receiver under the back cover, NFC worked but wireless charging didn't. I almost NEVER use NFC, so I picked up a replacement back cover from Alibaba for like $13 shipped. It's identical to the stock one, just lacking an NFC antenna, and you have to transfer your buttons over.

The phone comes apart pretty easily (use iFixIt), the trickiest part being the speaker housing.

Once I got the back cover off, I just used a multimeter and a functioning wireless charging base to confirm the polarity. When looking at the back, the right-most pin is positive and the left-most pin is negative. The wires on the charger were clearly labeled anyway, and you can use your multi-meter to double check the pins on the thin PCB controller it uses just to be safe. I removed the paper cover around the receiver, but you have to insert the shield in between the coil and the battery or it won't work.

[​IMG]

I first desoldered the ribbon cable from the USB charging receiver, since it was too cumbersome to try to re-use it's leads. I used some thin wire and soldered to the USB connector. I also took a dremel to the speaker housing and removed some of the extra plastic molding, so the wires had a clear path. Remember they need to clear the cut-out for the vibrator motor and you need to make some clearance for the soldered wires on the USB connector. I actually had to do a bit more after this picture.

[​IMG]

I ended up having to shorten the negative wire a hair to get them equal length, then routed them how I liked and just used some electrical tape to adhere them all to the battery. It's getting sandwiched in between the case and battery so I'm not concerned about them going anywhere.

[​IMG]

And that's about it; warranty voided! The back cover snaps right back on with absolutely no bulge, and it works perfectly, even allowing the USB port to still work like normal. No more NFC but who cares!

The only downside is the phone slips off my Nexus 4 angled charger a little easily. I blame the curved back.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

2. Zeus369
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 21, 2015

3. blueq
    Honeycomb Jan 21, 2015

4. TakeMyMoney
    KitKat Jan 21, 2015

joens likes this.
  5. grumfrommarch
    Honeycomb Jan 21, 2015

6. vdd65
    Jelly Bean Jan 21, 2015

vdd65 , Jan 21, 2015 :
    Is the wireless charging as FAST as the USB plug?
    If not, it is nice but I want fast charging/

7. Zachsaxe
    Lollipop Jan 21, 2015

8. joens
    Lollipop Jan 21, 2015

joens , Jan 21, 2015 :

Should chargé about 500-800mA.
    So count ;)

9. riazudin
    Gingerbread Jan 21, 2015

10. Daniel Castanheira
    Gingerbread Jan 21, 2015

11. Hatha807
    Honeycomb Jan 21, 2015

Hatha807 , Jan 21, 2015 :
    I may try that when my phone gets a year older. Right now, it's still got the new car smell, and I don't want to mess with it as long as everything is performing top notch.

Great topic

12. Stadsport
    Froyo Jan 21, 2015

Stadsport , Jan 21, 2015 :
    I just finished it before lunchtime this morning, so I'll have to give it a stress test when the battery actually gets low ;)

In my experience it's never as fast as a direct connection, but I tend to use my phone all day and just let it charge at night. It's just nice being able to just set it on the night stand rather than have to fiddle with the (unusually picky) USB connector.

Well, that's basically what I started with. But I don't run a case and I didn't want stuff stuck to the outside of my phone ;)

This received says it's rated for 1000mAh. I originally had a 500mAH one I was going to butcher but decided to at least get the higher-rate version.

I initially intended on doing it as soon as I got the phone, but between having to order the receiver and the back case, it's now at the point where it doesn't feel like a brand new phone (despite still being in perfect condition, knock on wood), so I was ready to bust out the soldering iron.

Thanks for the kind words!

ProWeb likes this.
  13. wilmarsaly
    Jelly Bean Jan 21, 2015

14. risky1301
    Lollipop Jan 21, 2015

veratoloz2005 likes this.
  15. siocnarf13
    Jelly Bean Jan 21, 2015

siocnarf13 , Jan 21, 2015 :
    It look like it doesn't cost a lot to do. I wonder why Oneplus didn't had that feature to their OPO.

tEf0o and pete3g like this.
  16. pete3g
    Froyo Jan 21, 2015

pete3g , Jan 21, 2015 :
    Top work and brave with it. Think I would have bottled it when the dremmel came out :)

17. TakeMyMoney
    KitKat Jan 21, 2015

TakeMyMoney , Jan 21, 2015 :
    That is quite a margin of error. lol

joens likes this.
  18. Stadsport
    Froyo Jan 22, 2015

Stadsport , Jan 22, 2015 :
    It absolutely is. But I like doing stuff like this.

FrederikOlsen and risky1301 like this.
  19. roneycarias
    Gingerbread Jan 22, 2015

roneycarias , Jan 22, 2015 :
    great job sir.

20. BigP
    Jelly Bean Jan 22, 2015