Advice please

1. maidmarcia
    Froyo Mar 23, 2017

maidmarcia , Mar 23, 2017 :
    Hi all,

I have had my OnePlus 2 since July 2015.

On Tuesday the home button stopped working. This has happened to me a few times before. The past few times it happened, I simply did the trick of draining the battery and it started working again once fully charged.

However, that is not working this time around. I've also tried entering safe mode and deleting the cache for the fingerprint scanner etc. Literally nothing is working.

Needless, I am very frustrated. I KNOW this is a 2015 phone and is considered "OLD", but I baby my phone and there is no reason why a piece of the phone should just stop working.

Long story short: I contacted OnePlus (support ticket) and they have told me it would cost MINIMUM $294 to have the phone sent in to be LOOKED AT, not including shipping or cost of parts and labour.

I think this is fully unacceptable as this is obviously an issue with the OP2, but they are unwilling to take responsibility for it.

What would you do? Would you move on to a new phone that is not a a OP? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

2. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 23, 2017

Dunnow , Mar 23, 2017 :
    where are you from? in europe phones have 2 years warranty.

if outside europe (as I see you use the $ sign...), i would say, never buy oneplus again.

Actually, even if in europe i'd say that.

you could try contacting a third party repair shop, and see what's their price offering

3. maidmarcia
    Froyo Mar 23, 2017

Exactly. I am in Canada. What a crap shoot eh?

I can't believe that they are expecting me to pay $300++ for something that is more than likely a defect on the phone.

Dunnow likes this.
  4. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Mar 23, 2017

toastytoast1234 , Mar 23, 2017 :
    Sorry, couldn't resist pointing this out - I like to think you threw that in just for us.

We have our issues on this side of the pond, but as @Dunnow says EU consumer protection laws kick all kinds of arse.

The1Lion likes this.
  5. maidmarcia
    Froyo Mar 23, 2017

We tack it on to everything, can't help it :p

So I guess I'm SOL....eh? :D

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  6. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 23, 2017

Dunnow , Mar 23, 2017 :
    for the price they ask, the trouble you would go through, and all, if going the official route, I'd just get a new device.

As I said, the only other alternative would be to detect the issue yourself (maybe it's a mobo thing, maybe it's the sensor or maybe would just be pluging the cable back in in case of being lose) and fix it with spare parts purchased online, or a third party store.

TBH, my brother tends to break screens all the time and he goes to a pakistani repair shop and for about 80€ he has the phone as new.

My father got his charging USB port (Moto G 1st gen) repaired for about 20€.

I mean, depending what device and what issue, you could get great deals in shops like that, but you never know what will be the end result anyway...

If you do like OnePlus, maybe would be the time to upgrade (I insist tho, ask in a third party shop, u never know), the 3t seems to get more love than the rest of devices ever got before it, so, if unlike me, you think OOS is decent enough, well... it's not that much money, but I do not know your economic situation so...

I gotta say, I would still not go for OP anymore, after the 2, OnePlus should be giving me the phone for free for me to even think about using them anymore.

sir_adh likes this.
  7. maidmarcia
    Froyo Mar 24, 2017

maidmarcia , Mar 24, 2017 :
    Thanks for the thoughts and I tend to agree. I'm going to take it to a local repair shop and see what they say. The problem is that it's not a well known brand, so I'm not sure if they'll be able to help, but it's worth a try.

I won't go for Oneplus again after this behaviour. I'm thinking of maybe the ZTE but I don't want to be stuck in the same situation down the road if something goes wrong with that too...

8. Meghana Shalgar
    Cupcake Mar 24, 2017

Meghana Shalgar , Mar 24, 2017 :
    Go to local shops. If it doesn't get repaired or it is too costly then Sell it to Someone and purchase New phone.

9. yogeshgamerz
    Gingerbread Mar 24, 2017

yogeshgamerz , Mar 24, 2017 :
    Did you try to clean flash entire rom again ?
    Maybe it'll help. In my case it was working.

10. maidmarcia
    Froyo Mar 24, 2017

maidmarcia , Mar 24, 2017 :
    This is the one thing I didn't do because I wanted to exhaust every other option before losing everything on my phone...

Is there a step by step guide posted anywhere?

Thank you kindly :)

11. Scherpenseel
    KitKat Mar 24, 2017

Scherpenseel , Mar 24, 2017 :
    I would try a factory reset with the last update included first. It's mostly a software issue.

12. maidmarcia
    Froyo Mar 25, 2017

13. pinkcode
    Gingerbread Mar 25, 2017

pinkcode , Mar 25, 2017 :
    I also face this issue some times, but I know it's sue to static/extra charge from my laptop charger on my table, which creates static charge over mother board of phone. Due to this most of the sensers stop working. Just char cache and check if you are facing earthing issue in your home. It will kill all electronics device very soon in your home.

14. sumitkaul
    Cupcake Mar 27, 2017

15. AaronStark171
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 27, 2017

AaronStark171 , Mar 27, 2017 :
    Happened with me as well, I did a factory reset and still it didn't work, so i thought the issue was with the hardware. So i decided to take to my nearest oneplus service center, but fortunately for me it started working on its own after a random reboot. Hopefully it'll happen with your device as well.
    But for now your best course of action would be consulting a 3rd party repair center cos 300 bucks just for them looking at phone makes no sense, also dude every phone has issues even if u switch to some other brand it doesn't mean you run into problems and the service would be top notch of you. But, the rest is upto you, buddy.