Network/Connectivity Aggressive wifi switching

1. psyonik_bionik
    Cupcake Jun 12, 2020

psyonik_bionik , Jun 12, 2020 :
    I've been noticing this issue since I got the Android 10 update for my OnePlus 5 - the phone switches between WiFi networks in my home quite aggressively and between these switches the phone does not have internet connectivity, resulting in web pages failing to load, games lagging etc. Is anyone else facing this issue and if yes, figured out a solution for making the phone stick to one SSID for longer?

2. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jun 12, 2020

the_o2 , Jun 12, 2020 :
    Disable the "intelligently select the best Wi-Fi " option from the Wi-Fi preferences settings.

psyonik_bionik likes this.
  3. psyonik_bionik
    Cupcake Jun 18, 2020

psyonik_bionik , Jun 18, 2020 :
    Strangely enough, disabling the "Turn on Wi-FI automatically" option solved the problem. Disabling "Intelligently select the best Wi-Fi" caused the phone to remain connected to poor Wi-Fi networks for far too long (mostly until the connection dropped.

4. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 18, 2020

pgrey , Jun 18, 2020 :
    Weird.
    I have three Access-Points (APs), all tuned to cut over at about 75-80 dBm, and my OP7 Pro roams very freely, between them, always switching to the best (typically 5GHz inside, 2.4 out) AP, without issue.

I've occasionally seen a couple of problems switching, on public APs, but it's very rare, IME.
    What kind of signal-strength are you seeing (dBm), when it finally switches (on both the outgoing and incoming AP)?

Argh, my bad, I was in the general OP forum, and didn't realize this was a 5. We have a 5T in the household too though, and I've never seen it have a problem between AP, so I guess the question applies, about signal-strength (on both APs, still).

psyonik_bionik likes this.
  5. psyonik_bionik
    Cupcake Jul 1, 2020

psyonik_bionik , Jul 1, 2020 :
    I don't see a quantitative signal strength reading in the Wi-Fi preferences on my OP5 - I could see that it holds on to APs with a "Poor" signal before showing that the AP has no connectivity and switching to cellular. Even then, the phone wouldn't switch APs until I did manually. After turning off "Turn on Wi-FI automatically", this issue isn't so bad - as soon as the signal on one AP becomes Poor, the internet connectivity drops for a brief period and the phone switches to the AP with a "Good" or "Excellent" signal.

6. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 3, 2020

pgrey , Jul 3, 2020 :
    What are the dBm signal strength(s), on the phone, AND the APs, when it won't switch?

For example, the phone might have a -87 dBm, the "stuck" AP showing similar, and the (presumed) incoming AP showing say -92, or -75.
    Also what are the thresholds, that gate the switch (between APs), in terms of your tuning?

FYI, things like good, poor, fair, are pretty unreliable, in terms of debugging something like this, in general.
    A good example, is that one AP or device might read -92 as say "excellent", whereas another might read it as "fair".
    Unfortunately, there's not much of an industry-standard around what those define, scientifically...