[All the Highlights] Google I/O 2022

1. razzor228
    Accessory Tester, OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Writers' Club May 11, 2022

razzor228 , May 11, 2022 :
    IO confetti .png
    (banner by @rohitanand)

Google I/O, which is Google’s Annual Developer Conference, is just around the corner and scheduled to take place today, May 11th, at 1 PM ET/10 PM PT/10:30 PM IST. Google I/O has always been synonymous with the latest and greatest in terms of software like Android, WearOS, Photos, Google Workspace apps like Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Meet, and sometimes updates to their AI platform.

But this time around, Google might be switching up their plans and announcing some new hardware too. During Alphabet’s (Google’s Parent Company) Earning Call for Q1 2022, the CEO, Sundar Pichai, dropped some hints about a possible hardware announcement, saying that “I'm excited about the products we have coming and look forward to sharing more at Google I/O”.

According to the rumor mill, Google might announce the Pixel 6a at this year's Google I/O. As per the initial speculation, the Pixel 6a was expected to release sometime around the month of May, so this rumor might actually be true, considering Pichai’s statements too. Google announcing hardware at the I/O isn’t something new. Back in 2019, they announced the Pixel 3a, which was the first Pixel A Series phone.

And that isn’t the only hardware announcement Google is expected to make at the I/O. If you check Sundar Pichai’s comments from the earnings call, it points to multiple products. As per some rumors, Google might also unveil the much-awaited Pixel Watch.

What to expect from Google I/O 2022?
    Based on the rumors floating around, these are the hardware products that Google might announce alongside the routine software announcements.
    • Pixel 6a
    • Pixel Watch
    • Pixel Buds Pro
    Pixel 6a
    The A version of the Pixel device has always been a more affordable version of its flagship. Starting with the Pixel 3a back in 2019, the A versions came with some compromises in the specs department, like less powerful processors. This was the time when Google used Snapdragon processors, but ever since, Google made the switch to Tensor, which is their custom-built SOC.

The recent Pixel devices like the Pixel 4a and 5a had similar camera hardware and carried over the main sensor from the flagship counterparts. But, according to some recent rumors, Google might ditch the 48-megapixel sensor found on the Pixel 6 in favor of a 12-megapixel main sensor.

Pixel Watch
    A Pixel watch has been rumored to launch for a long time, but this time the rumors feel stronger than ever with the alleged Pixel Watch prototype that was left at a restaurant earlier this year.

[​IMG]
    Source: Android Central

Leaker Evan Blass gave us a glimpse of what the Pixel Watch could look like with this render, which now aligns with the prototype that was found.

[​IMG]

Source: Evan Blass x 91 mobiles

Google acquired the wearable company Fitbit back in 2019 with the intention of introducing a Google-made smartwatch. Whether the investment was worthwhile depends a lot on how the Pixel watch turns out.

Pixel Buds Pro
    Google launched the Pixel Buds 2 in 2020 as the successor to the original Pixel Buds, which launched back in 2017. Quite similar to what Google is doing in their phone segment, Google introduced the Pixel Buds A-series, which is a more affordable version of the Pixel Buds 2.

While the leaks haven’t given out much information about the specs and the features, the ‘Pro’ moniker does indicate that it could have premium features like Active Noise Cancellation and will compete with the likes of OnePlus Buds Pro, Galaxy Buds, and Apple Airpods Pro. According to Jon Prosser, the Pixel Buds Pro could come in 4 colorways - Real Red, Carbon, Limoncello, and Fog.

[​IMG]
    Source: Jon Prosser Twitter

So, now that you know what to expect from this year’s Google I/O, what is one thing that you are most excited about? Do you think Google will be able to kick some life into WearOS, their operating system for wearables, with the new updates that it teased at last year's Google I/O?

All set? You can watch the Google Keynote @ Google I/O ‘22 in the video below.

2. razzor228
    Accessory Tester, OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Writers' Club May 13, 2022

Stickied Post
    razzor228 , May 13, 2022 :
    Now that Google I/O 2022 has concluded, it’s time to look at what they announced. To be honest, it had a lot of surprises with soo many hardware announcements. But unfortunately, some of them are not even going to launch this year, and some might never see the light of the day.

So let’s cut to the chase with the stuff that actually matters.

Android 13

[​IMG]

We’ve already had a glimpse of Android 13 ever since Google released the first developer preview back in Feb of this year. Last month they also released it to the public with the Beta 1. Although the beta is public, only a couple of devices are eligible. And, at the I/O, they launched the Beta 2 for Android 13. The OnePlus 10 Pro is one such device, with the Beta 1 available to download from here. During the keynote, Google highlighted the refinements it made to Material You and Android 13 also marks the return of the nomenclature - Google Wallet after dropping it just a few years ago in favor of Google Pay.

Pixel 6a

[​IMG]

The Pixel 6a turned out to be pretty close to what was leaked before the event. It retains the Tensor chip from the Pixel 6 Pro and drops the 50-megapixel sensor found on the Pixel 6 in favor of a 12-megapixel main sensor and a 12MP ultra-wide lens. The Pixel 6a will retail at $449, with pre-orders starting July 21.

Pixel Buds Pro

[​IMG]

The Pixel Buds Pro would be the first in the Pixel Buds lineup to sport Active Noise Cancellation and support for Spatial Audio. They look quite similar to their predecessors but come packed with many new features. The Pixel Buds Pro will retail at $199, with pre-orders starting July 21.

Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro

[​IMG]

While everyone expected there to be hardware announcements, no one expected Google to give us a sneak preview of the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro. The upcoming Pixel lineup will sport a similar design to its predecessor - the Pixel 6 Series, but with some changes to the camera layout on the back. The Pixel 7 will come in the following colorways - ⚫ Obsidian, ⚪ Snow 🟡 Lemongrass, and the Pixel 7 Pro will come in ⚫ Obsidian, ⚪ Snow, 🟢 Hazel.

Pixel Watch

[​IMG]

The Pixel Watch will be Google’s first smartwatch. People have great expectations from it, and the Fitbit purchase might just help Google deliver. The Wear OS 3 powered Pixel Watch is expected to be equipped with Fitbit features like sleep tracking, heart rate monitoring and other exercise tracking capabilities. The Pixel Watch is confirmed to be launched alongside the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro later this year.

Pixel Tablet

[​IMG]

The Pixel Tablet would be another one of Google’s attempts to enter the tablet space since it released the Pixel Slate back in 2019. It looks quite similar to the Google Nest Hub minus the base missing. It is also confirmed to house the Tensor chip when it launches sometime in 2023.

Google Glass

[​IMG]

Last but not least, Google teased what looks like your normal pair of glasses but can live-translate what someone is saying to you right in front of your eyes. These glasses make use of AR and AI to display the translation live on the screen that is built into the frame of the glasses. Unfortunately, Google has not revealed anything about the glasses regarding their specs, price, or availability apart from the short demo we got at the later end of the keynote.

To catch up on more stuff from Google I/O 2022, you can head over to Google’s I/O 2022 Collection of Blogs.

InfnteLights, YRJ and Cheetosdust like this.
  3. Cheetosdust
    Moderator, Content Coordinator Moderator Writers' Club May 11, 2022

Cheetosdust , May 11, 2022 :
    The Google Watch, for sure. I am also curious about Android 13 (if they are going to announce something new), but I cannot wait to check the watch. :cool:

The Pixel 6a can be an interesting phone, perhaps even available in India, but since I already have the vanilla 6, this is not for me. ;)

4. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Writers' Club May 11, 2022

Navdeep_Malik , May 11, 2022 :
    Truly exciting- There is a Fitbit tracking icon on the leaked Pixel watch screen! The Wear OS version of the Pixel watch is going to be exciting.
    Also, there are rumors floating that Pixel 6a will launch in India.

5. Cheetosdust

I have a Fitbit Sense and it's not bad.

I just hope that Google doesn't tease the Watch today for a launch in Autumn with the Pixel 7 Series. And I also hope it's not available in just three-five markets.

6. Liehjan
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Buds Pro Community Expert May 11, 2022

7. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Writers' Club May 11, 2022

Navdeep_Malik , May 11, 2022 :
    Even I enjoyed my Versa 2.

Though you just might be right! It should however launch earlier. I remember last year when it got delayed or was so much hyped by the media. Maybe it's just me being excited, hoping for an earlier launch.

Being launched in a handful of markets seems real! The track record of Google's launch in India hasn't been promising.:(

Dresa91, Gor. and Cheetosdust like this.
  8. ion2910
    Jelly Bean May 11, 2022

Dresa91 likes this.
  9. Moka24
    Honeycomb May 11, 2022

Moka24 , May 11, 2022 :
    @Mods Report this thread for misleading readers by adding "Watch" as the first word. I thought it's announced already

10. Cheetosdust

"Watch" in this case is the verb, but the title is now edited to be clearer. Thanks.

11. Moka24
    Honeycomb May 11, 2022

Moka24 , May 11, 2022 :
    I was just kidding Cheetosdust. Previous title is better.

Cheetosdust likes this.
  12. Cheetosdust

Hehe, I honestly thought you were complaining. :D

Back to version one of the title we go. :p

McJader likes this.
  13. eddyros
    Ice Cream Sandwich Writers' Club May 11, 2022

eddyros , May 11, 2022 :
    The Pixel watch is probably the most exciting product of the last 20 years! Google during the years raised the bar...people, like me, are toooo curious to watch the result.

In addition, I'd like to know the price of 6a...if Google chooses the right price it may be the next best medium-high device.

Navdeep_Malik and Cheetosdust like this.
  14. TwoFalcons
    Gingerbread May 11, 2022

15. Cheetosdust

Navdeep_Malik and dsmonteiro like this.
  16. Pravin2999
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 11, 2022

17. Eric Joshi
    Honeycomb May 11, 2022

18. dsmonteiro
    OnePlus Community Team Staff Member May 11, 2022

dsmonteiro , May 11, 2022 :
    I really need a digest of the event. Currently in my Chinese class so I can't watch it live. 😞

Liehjan likes this.
  19. Kushal_Gowda_A
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 11, 2022

20. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean May 11, 2022

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus Community App , May 11, 2022 :
    Google can't deliver like apple on live saving gadgets! It will take time but by that time the game will be changed! Google needs more hungry people to deliver crazy ideas and product, only crazy and hungry can deliver the best!

21. Mr. BG
    Welcoming Expert, Community Hero 2020 Community Expert May 11, 2022

Mr. BG , May 11, 2022 :
    I'm liking the Pixel 6a, and they managed to keep the price down, 449,-

Oh, my, that jacket..

Watch available this fall..

Nice Pixel Tablet, maybe I'll break my iPad streak!

Last edited: May 11, 2022