All Your Questions Answered – Call Recording

1. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Product Lead Staff Member Aug 12, 2020

Gary C. , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Hello everyone,

Just weeks ago, we brought the OnePlus Nord to our Community. Together with the Nord, we introduced our latest partnership with Google. By embedding the Google Comms Suite into OxygenOS, we want to help our users stay close with their friends and family.

Since the launch, we have received some queries from our Nord users. So we've prepared this Q&A to cover all the top communication-related questions.

Q:Why does call recording begin only after the other party picks up? / Why can't call recording be enabled by default?
    A:This is per Google's design and policy to respect user privacy. When you start recording a call it should notify the other user who answered or received the call. When someone taps the record button, the announcement will be heard by both the caller and receiver.

Q: Where can I find the button for call recording? Why isn't the record button on the same page?
    A:You can find the button on the second page of the in-call screen. As there are more buttons than will fit on the first page, the new call-recording button is on the second page.

频.png

Q: How can I check the call recording when the call ended?
    A:Recordings are stored in the call log of the Dialer app. Go to the Recents tab, tap the call to expand it, and check if the recording is available for playback there.
    All of your recordings are stored on your device to keep your recordings private. Calls aren't saved or backed up anywhere else.
    To find your recording:
    1. Open the Phone app.
    2. Tap Recents.
    3. Tap the caller you spoke and recorded the call with.
    a. If you recorded a new call with a caller, go to the player in the "Recents" screen.
    b. To find the recording of an old call, tap History and find the recording in the calls list.
    4. Tap Play.
    5. To share a recorded call, tap Share.
    Tip: You can share recorded calls through email or messaging apps.

p2.png

Q: Why has the icon of the record button disappear on the call screen?
    A:When the call-recording button was added, it didn't fit on the first call screen. Google is planning to make the recording button easier to locate in future versions.

Q:How does Google recognize whether the current device supports Call Recording or not?
    A: Google determines the availability based on call-recording test coverage.

Rest assured, we listen to every feedback, as it assists our engineers and product teams in creating a better product, and to solve your queries seamlessly. We also have a dedicated teamkeeping an eye on your bug reports. If you have any software feedback, you can submit them via the OnePlus community app. Let's learn how to do it with @Manu J.'s post here.

Let us know what you think about this new format, do drop us a line in the comments below to let us know your feedback or suggestions on communication apps.

Thank you, and stay safe!

2. HarshKK14
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2020

HarshKK14 , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Please give us an option to install OnePlus's own messaging and dialer app. I understand your love towards Google, but believe me, OnePlus's apps are better (atleast for me). Should be given an option to install the app which we want. Don't want Google's.

Update: In IDEAS 2.0, it is made clear that OnePlus won't bring OnePlus dialer and messaging app to OnePlus Nord. So sorry to say, don't keep any hope.
    https://www.oneplus.com/hk_en/communityideas#/detail?threadId=2769

P.S. @David Y. did say that OnePlus is finding ways to fix "call recording" feature on the OnePlus phones and not of bringing OnePlus dialer. So, extremely low expectations.

#NeverSettle
    #Feedback Heard

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020

3. SRD.
    KitKat Aug 12, 2020

4. HeyItsDev , via OnePlus Nord Gray Onyx , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Absolutely agree with you. OnePlus we want your dialer and messaging app. We don't want to have google's dialer or messaging app. Pls bring back.

5. King from North
    Froyo Aug 12, 2020

6. G_Huynh_Tinh
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2020

7. HarshKK14
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2020

HarshKK14 , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Oh no man, if you want it, simply go to play store and download it. These apps shouldn't become the only option on other OnePlus phones. That will be a nightmare

8. Murtaza1229
    Donut Aug 12, 2020

Murtaza1229 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Please bring back the original one plus phone and messaging app or else give us an option to download that. We are using OnePlus since years and now this change is really not helping us alot or i will say not at all.
    Please take this feedback seriously and give users the option to choose between one plus and Google apps.

9. U1584694443089
    Donut Aug 12, 2020

U1584694443089 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Please gives user an option to go for OnePlus own messaging and phone app instead Google. It really sucks the experience, Nord users are really feeling like cheated. You guys shall provide an either option such as google app replacement with OnePlus own app or device replacement with OnePlus other series such as 7 or 8 series!
    I believe you guys must have audit machanism on complaints and quarries raised by community users and TAT to resolve! But surprisingly till now non of my quarries has been taken seriously, it really ruin the experience. said:
    If other users are agreed on this, do comment or like so that it reaches to OnePlus Management.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020

10. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Aug 12, 2020

11. alextoledo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 12, 2020

alextoledo , Aug 12, 2020 :
    They are unhappy with a PPP that doesn't even develop OnePlus, they could squeeze the big G to improve their applications.

I give you the reason that OnePlus could take out its Dialer and the users that you want to install it. But I must also recognize that this was already known before its launch, it was put in place by several media including XDA. And you are making a world of something insignificant, when there are third party apps that do such functions and can be installed freely.

On the other hand, great editorial work by @Gary C. , is all quite clear and should be settled.

12. King from North
    Froyo Aug 13, 2020

King from North , Aug 13, 2020 :
    Yell out! Just remove any call recording related functions of native apps, protect yourself and protect others

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020

13. David Y.
    OxygenOS Staff Member Aug 13, 2020

David Y. , Aug 13, 2020 :
    Instead, it will be helpful to let us know what specific features you guys like the most from our own comms app, we will see where we can integrate into the Google comms app.

14. HarshKK14
    Honeycomb Aug 13, 2020

HarshKK14 , Aug 13, 2020 :

David Y.

Instead, it will be helpful to let us know what specific features you guys like the most from our own comms app, we will see where we can integrate into the Google comms app.​

I love the amoled black screen of both dialer and messaging app unlike the greyish one on Google apps. I absolutely love the block by keywords feature. In India atleast, blocking by keyword will be a huge huge feature. Too many spam messages.

one more feature, identification of company messages, like identifying message from Paytm, airtel, Ajio, jio, etc etc. Google doesn't do so, if it does, it didn't detect any message on my phone atleast

15. HarshKK14
    Honeycomb Aug 13, 2020

I must say, OnePlus's implementation in case of dialer and messaging app is awesome.

16. David Y.
    OxygenOS Staff Member Aug 13, 2020

David Y. , Aug 13, 2020 :
    Excellent feedback, well received.

Thanks. I will pass this compliment to the internal team. Good day.

17. D1596633656833
    Donut Aug 13, 2020

D1596633656833 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 13, 2020 :
    Please can we get OnePlus Dialer And Messaging App , Google's one is okay but in there is no auto call recording option , and when we record a call the other party gets to know it . So please can we get OnePlus Dialer And Messaging App .

18. Allwin_Striker
    Eclair Aug 13, 2020

19. alextoledo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 13, 2020

alextoledo , Aug 13, 2020 :
    I must give you the reason and that is that Google has not adopted a dark mode as such in times of AMOLED screens, and it still has a dark grey interface instead of opting for pure black.

Maybe with the arrival of their Pixel 4a, Pixel 5 and because they are prone to put small batteries... They choose to take advantage of their OLED screens and remove the interface with pure black. But don't expect anything from Google as they do and undo as they please without thinking about anyone.

As for the SMS, in Europe at least in Spain if I identify if the SMS received is from a company showing the name of the company in question either Vodafone, Movistar, Amazon, Hawkers, 1002, etc.

I don't know how the legislation will be in India or China but in the United States and Europe they are required by law to warn that calls are being recorded by the data protection law. That is why Google on its Dialer skips the warning so that the other person is aware that it is being recorded and can accept or reject the call.

Call me crazy but I like to know if someone I'm talking to is recording me or not.

If you launch the Dialer OnePlus in Europe I imagine that you should implement some such function, otherwise you could get into trouble for not complying with data protection regulations. And I think this is why they have preferred to implement the Google app.

20. HarshKK14
    Honeycomb Aug 13, 2020

See the point is, there is a recording feature on OnePlus dialer app for the Indian version. So OnePlus had to do nothing just replicate the same thing for Nord. In India, there is no such rule of informing the other person if the call is recorded or not, which I personally feel to be wrong. I am more interested in the clear UI and amoled black of the app.

For the messages app, I am more concerned about the blocking feature by keyword. I have almost 50 blocked key words. I receive approx 5 messages daily, all spam. Hence, that feature is real handy