Almond in a nutshell — What kind of color is Almond?

1. Brady R. NA Videographer Staff Member Jun 14, 2019

Brady R., Jun 14, 2019 :
    Forum_nutshell (1).png

Let’s do a quick thought experiment. Look at your smartphone. No, don’t turn on the screen. If you’re browsing on your phone, turn it over for a second. Just put it face-down and have a look. What words come to mind?

Capable, useful, functional — are these the words that come to mind? Chalk it up to my video and design background, but when I pick up a smartphone, I want to feel like I’m picking up something that’s carefully designed and assembled, but also, I want something that looks visually striking... and not just at first glance either. I want a device that looks great whether I look at it once or a thousand times.

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 12.55.36 PM.png

Which begs the question - is it still possible to make a phone that gives you something new every time you look at it?

That was the challenge our team faced when looking for new designs and colors, something innovative yet more neutral that could appeal to a wide spectrum of smartphone users. If you went solely by the images online, you might not understand why we named this device Almond. In the renders, the colors look peachy or gold at times. But just like when you cut open an almond, there’s more color than you would think.

almondslices.gif

The complexity of this variant's craftsmanship is in the details. To ensure the required levels of durability and resilience, stainless steel was used to construct the casing of the pop-up camera module. The use of stainless steel presents further challenges in the coloring process. To ensure a lasting hue, our product team added a custom coating of 24K gold to the OnePlus 7 Pro Almond's camera module. The polishing time for the OnePlus 7 Pro Almond was nearly doubled to create the bright, translucent surface you see today.

almondswivel.gif

I’ve spent the past few weeks carrying around the OnePlus 7 Pro Almond, shooting videos and pictures of it in all different kinds of lighting. Indoors, outdoors, in bright light, shade... you name it.

Here’s few things I’ve noticed carrying it in different light situations:
    • The rear surface looks translucent and crystal-like
    • There’s a hint of gold, particularly on the buttons and edges
    • The color of the rear surface of the phone is hard to describe... it looks gold-ish but not quite that. There’s something else I can’t place. Maybe that’s where Almond comes in. It does remind me of the inside of an Almond. It’s almost like a cream-gold color.
    • In very bright light, the phone looks ivory white
    Now that you’ve seen more photos and gifs, what do you think of Almond?

2. Wahoux Lollipop Jun 14, 2019

3. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 14, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jun 14, 2019 :
    @Brady R. I don't know about the phone, but please tell me the "almond in a nutshell" was not an accidental pun.

I live for these :D

PS: you do know this, like the iPhone XS, is better known as the "band-aid", right? :cool:

4. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 14, 2019

Great, two replies, two times the iPhone is mentioned. Looking great :D

5. Hydra Bob Starting Point Expert Jun 14, 2019

Hydra Bob, Jun 14, 2019 :
    Shall we go for the trifecta?

Screenshot_20190614-140851__01.jpg

Attached Files:

6. G_plusone Marshmallow Jun 14, 2019

G_plusone, Jun 14, 2019 :
    Awesome gifs ;)

7. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 14, 2019

Oh look, it's the iPhone Almond.

Jezz, Tim Apple is always trying to copy BeeBoy's ideas. Sad, so sad, it's a sad sad situation :rolleyes::cool:

8. Rusty NZ Marshmallow Jun 14, 2019

Rusty NZ, Jun 14, 2019 :
    Oh come on guys stop mentioning devices made by a fruit company. Just take a careful look at the photo above and you can see OnePlus wins hands down. The other phone is a dirty mud colour.

While I'm at it look at the fruit phone's design and the design of OnePlus. The symmetrical design of OnePlus 7 looks far better and more practical when lining for macro shots.

9. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Jun 14, 2019

10. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 14, 2019

A suggestion for you, @Brady R. - a nugget, if you will.

You probably don’t know this about me, but my education is related to marketing. Well, I'm a baker, but it’s practically the same thing.

When you need to engage with the community, instead of using words so delicate and with a je ne sais quoi of snobbism, you have to go straight to the jugular, capture my attention like you are capturing a photo with a non-OnePlus device: on the first attempt.

My mentor @Carl (or le tres grand baguette, as we called him here at work) does that like the master he is. He comes here, hell freezes for the day, and he says something from the heart: “friends”. Boom, beautiful word.

And then he adds the magical “we need to talk”. Now I feel like I have a connection with him. A bucket? Sure, Carl, you and me, Thelma & Louise, talk to me about that bucket.

I once saw him dressed like a bee and I thought - he’s engaging, he’s engaging hard.

My point, like the point of a croissant, is: engage like him, talk to us about the simplicity of a bucket. We don’t have time for something in-depth, so spice it up, we believe in you as much as you believe in every single word you wrote on your post.

For example, if you want to talk about the OnePlus Almond, maybe try and open your post with:

“Friends,

we need to talk about nuts.”

You’re welcome.

11. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 14, 2019

12. DARTH 007 KitKat Jun 14, 2019

H1559976493122, Drasm19 and G_plusone like this.
  13. G_plusone Marshmallow Jun 14, 2019

Showing off gif'ing skills :p

14. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 14, 2019

Heheh, I can also access the developer options on my device. Ohhhh yeah!

[​IMG]

15. meatandy Oreo Jun 14, 2019

meatandy, Jun 14, 2019 :
    I think of the almond is more of a translucent color that changes slightly with varying degrees of light.

Next color : Translucent green with a hint of blue .:D

16. Rusty NZ Marshmallow Jun 14, 2019

Rusty NZ, Jun 14, 2019 :
    After reading all of that I've come to understand two things.

1. You are nuts. Almond nuts to be precise.
    2. Your connection to Carl is your bee suit. I am curious to know when was the last time you wore your bee suit in public.

Cheetosdust and Shivang Joshi like this.
  17. Rusty NZ Marshmallow Jun 14, 2019

Rusty NZ, Jun 14, 2019 :
    When was the last time you flashed a custom rom?

H1559976493122 and Shivang Joshi like this.
  18. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jun 14, 2019

Pretty sure it was CyanogenMod on the OnePlus 3.

19. G_plusone Marshmallow Jun 14, 2019

C
    Closed beta tester is close enough :p

20. Helder_DAlmeida Gingerbread Jun 14, 2019

Helder_DAlmeida, Jun 14, 2019 :
    I think it's a good color. Lots of people liked. I completely understand the company's marketing strategy. "never settle"

terencemaughan01 likes this.