Other Always On Display (AOD)

1. Kar7hik
    Eclair Mar 5, 2020

Kar7hik , Mar 5, 2020 :
    It's all about AOD the most most requested feature in OnePlus since OnePlus 6T launch. The lack of led in 6T and above in most of the scenario AOD helps a lot I just need to see my notification without touching phone.

Give a option to turn it off who cares about battery life.

Hopes to see AOD in future updates.

2. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Product Lead Staff Member Mar 19, 2020

Stickied Post
    Gary C. , Mar 19, 2020 :
    [Adopted]

3/27 Update: Hi everyone, an update on this IDEA. Initial power consumption tests have been passed and it is now on our roadmap! We are working on fine-tuning AOD to make sure it is perfectly optimized. Do keep an eye on our Community as we will keep everyone in the loop with further updates, including the release timeline. Thanks!

- Original Reply -​

Hello and thank you for bringing this request up, @Kar7hik.

We anticipated this could be an idea mentioned even before we started this platform, so we do appreciate your participation. We are more than happy to share with you, and the community, our thoughts and the developments we’ve made so far.

Basically, we see this request being about “never letting me miss any important notifications”. Besides the solutions based on sound and vibration, the Always on Display (AOD) should serve as one of the visual solutions (the solutions we have for now are Ambient Display and Horizon Light).

Internally, we have started the evaluation and implementation of AOD quite some time ago. We prioritize the execution of this feature based on the research made about user habits.

Taking the OnePlus 7 Pro as an example: according to the analytics of our product usage, on average, our users spend at least five hours on their smartphones per day and check their messages every fifteen minutes. In other words, it's unlikely that our users will miss essential notifications without noticing them almost instantly.

After that, we ran some tests on the viability of this feature and found out that AOD could roughly consume about 350-500 mAh of the battery, which means you might get one or two hours deducted from your daily usage. Such a battery drainage issue will have a notorious impact on digital natives. This could lead to substandard performances, which makes us more careful about this decision.

That said, we do understand that our users deserve a voice over the options they have on their own devices. So another round of more thorough evaluation has been conducted.

It is not as simple as a toggle that can give you that choice, unfortunately, since many complicated factors are involved due to a direct implication with hardware (i.e., display, in-display fingerprint performance). We can only run the test device by device, which translates into a heavy workload.

To reach a faster conclusion, we’re currently working on a test applied to the power consumption of the AOD in a device with a higher refresh rate display. If the test results meet our quality standards (≤ 150 mAh), we’ll consider placing it under OnePlus Laboratory.

Please stay tuned as we will share the results of the tests with our Community next week and bring you more updates!

Learn more about how your Idea flows within OnePlus

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2020

3. wanplusone
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2020

4. Alex_Cerv
    Gingerbread Mar 5, 2020

Alex_Cerv , Mar 5, 2020 :
    Absolutely best ideas, movable costant AOD will be so perfect, maybe with choice with off, keeping as it is now and always on(without horixon light)

this will be gorgeous!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020

5. abdulla77
    Donut Mar 5, 2020

6. Attano_26
    Froyo Mar 5, 2020

Attano_26 , Mar 5, 2020 :
    It will consume battery, that is the reason that got removed in the first place, hope OnePlus finds a solution for it!!😜

7. MLamb
    Eclair Mar 5, 2020

MLamb , Mar 5, 2020 :
    I returned my McLaren Edition cause I missed it so much, bought a Note 10+ then. How else should I know when a new notification arrives when sound is off or I am not near my phone (as there is no notification LED) - this AOD should be #1 priority!

8. I1573479541038
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2020

I1573479541038 , Mar 5, 2020 :
    AOD is the feature I miss the most from my previous phones. Please OnePlus, this feature would be amazing.

9. Sahil_Amin
    Eclair Mar 5, 2020

Sahil_Amin , Mar 5, 2020 :
    C'mon Oneplus, I know it drains the battery but atleast give us the option to enable AOD if we want to.

10. Mike_Jiang
    Honeycomb Mar 6, 2020

F_Issam_TNXm, Chrisjk, Xtermy and 3 others like this.
  11. Batman360
    Lollipop Mar 6, 2020

Batman360 , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Use this app till the time being "Always on edge" a perfect app for notifications lighting. Using it since 6-7 months now.

12. Abhishek654
    Honeycomb Mar 6, 2020

Abhishek654 , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Always On Display (AOD) might consume so much of battery that's why OnePlus roll out Google Assistant-powered “Ambient Mode”..

13. S1581662169132
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

S1581662169132 , Mar 6, 2020 :
    It's longest requested feature which Oneplus has been ignoring despite giving assurance of it's implementation long back. I prefer to take a glance at screen without the hassle to lift it up or touch to wake and also so that I am not tempted to use the phone once I wake it up even without notifications. As I do not prefer using watches, the always on time display on my phone is a huge advantage for me. As the author of this idea suggested, Oneplus can provide an option for those concerned with battery life to turn it off. Rest of us are willing to sacrifice the drain in favour of the convenience.

14. YauhenK
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

YauhenK , Mar 6, 2020 :
    As for me, I need not just AOD, but convenient way for getting notifications. I don't want to see time and other stuff. So, AOD or analog is needed when there is unread notification (from a list of approved apps, for example). And it could be not AOD, but colorful app icon with number, or slowly moving color shape, or whatever, something that tells about missed notification but not very distractive.

15. just_in_1P
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

just_in_1P , Mar 6, 2020 :
    It's baffling that this does not exist yet. They already have the ugly screensaver that's kind of like AOD, but true AOD would be much better. If other OEMs can do it with no issue, so can OnePlus. At least give the CHOICE.

16. raj.vardhan21
    Gingerbread Mar 6, 2020

17. S1558269980867
    Froyo Mar 6, 2020

S1558269980867 , Mar 6, 2020 :
    I also need this feature. I guarantee that if OnePlus don't make one my next phone won't be from that company

18. David Y.
    OxygenOS Staff Member Mar 6, 2020

David Y. , Mar 6, 2020 :
    This AOD request wins more likes than my announcement thread... Well done. Keep it up.

19. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 6, 2020

YRJ , Mar 6, 2020 :
    I'm sure AOD has long been in the works!
    All the best for the release ;)

SOURAV@KUMAR and Mike_Jiang like this.
  20. tanelaavistu
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

SOURAV@KUMAR likes this.
  21. SandeshChinchapur
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 6, 2020

SandeshChinchapur , Mar 6, 2020 :
    If not the complete clock set-up, at least allow the notification icons to be always on.. so that we can check them without touching the phone.

Sheppards and SOURAV@KUMAR like this.