ALWAYS ON IR Emitter/Illuminator on OnePlus 6T Front Camera?

1. taylor85345
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2019

taylor85345 , Aug 23, 2019 :
    I was playing around today with my laptop webcam and pointed the front of my 6T at the webcam, and I noticed that there is a small IR illuminator next to the front camera lens that flashes constantly. I understand that IR Illumination can help with Face Recognition and low-light performance for the front camera, but this flashing continues even when all of my camera apps are closed out and the phone is idle and asleep on my desk. I left it propped up in front of my webcam for about half an hour without touching the phone, and the IR Illuminator never turned off.

I'm curious why this is. I'm not usually a paranoid person, but at worst this suggests that the front camera may be always active for unknown reasons. Even if it is completely benign, it still seems like a waste of battery. Does anyone know what exactly this IR Illuminator is used for, and why it is always active?

Attached Files:

2. xnutzii
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2019

xnutzii , Aug 23, 2019 :
    That's called Infrared indeed, but that's because of the proximity sensor. You can actually see the sensor in a weird holding position of the phone. Also, the proximity sensor does not help with face recognition, because the light it shine's out it waaaay too weak.

This is nothing to worry about, for example, you can playback a voice message on WhatsApp and hold your hand above the left side of the camera, there you'll have a black screen, because the proximity sensor if blocked, that's normal behavior and nothing to worry about.

Here, that's what my 6T's proximity sensor looks like.

1566584001135.jpg
    First the IR light ↑

1566584015957.jpg
    and then the two sensor besides the camera, they're on the left side

drl431 and B_Wrath like this.
  3. taylor85345
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2019

taylor85345 , Aug 23, 2019 :
    Good to know. I didn't know the Proximity Sensor used infrared, but that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation!

4. xnutzii
    Lollipop Aug 23, 2019

xnutzii , Aug 23, 2019 :
    No problem! Glad I could help.

Starcommander likes this.