AMA about 5G: Check the answers!

1. un lo
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

un lo , Apr 28, 2020 :
    How long before we see the 5g modem put back on the SOC? I'm worried about the increased power and heat due to the 5g modem being its own chip.

@Ignacio Contreras

2. akashtaker001
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

akashtaker001 , Apr 28, 2020 :
    My question was will Indian units support Millimetre wave?
    Also since our Govt., Our Military & ISRO want to use the same frequency as 5G what are the chances of India getting any 5G in near future. Since OnePlus 8 series support 5G and we are paying higher prices for 5G modems, what benefits will we get in these devices, as I am not sure if there will be any 5G in the lifespan of these devices(I am assuming life of a typical OnePlus device as 2-3 years).

3. Y1564990574221
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

Y1564990574221 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 28, 2020 :
    @Sat K and @Ignacio Contreras My question would be :-

Hi guys,

As always when a new "xG" comes out, the connectivity of items that we have gets lost in history.

Will 5G allow for previously connected items to lower Gs to be able to work with it too?

I guess I am not the only person in the world that has bought an item that cannot be used any more due to the change of the connection. I would be extremely happy if there was some kind of option like that.

Thank you for your time.

kind regards

M Lopez

4. Rohit Katariya
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

5. nima0003
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

nima0003 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Why is 5g not limited to a minimum speed? I get full bars 5g at my home but only 20mbps. At that point I don't see the advantage of being on a 5g frequency over a 4g frequency. after all the initial hype of 5g and it's speed promises, I was let down after trying it out for the first time.

6. Vasukihegde
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

Vasukihegde , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Hi, Good that we can ask about this.
    I completely understand that 5G is the future. Yes. Absolutely. Its the FUTURE.
    But just because it is futuristic, how are you justifying the increase in the prices of the devices which is being released now. If we are getting the future technology which is not at all available now, then whats the use of it? I'm just trying to understand the logic here!! Hoping for a positive reply on this.

7. Kamal Hans
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 28, 2020

Kamal Hans , via OnePlus 5 , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Hi @Sat K, do you think highly expensive 5G infrastructure/handsets are relevant for a poor, developing country like India? Driverless cars, IOT.. these are relatively low priority needs for us here, aren't they?

8. T1580559997316
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

9. Coussehh___
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

Coussehh___ , Apr 28, 2020 :
    @Ignacio Contreras and @Sat K
    My question is where do you see mobile communications going after 5G, like will 6G just be an even smaller wavelength or is there going to be a different design. Also, if 5G is set up worldwide so that the whole world has mm wave, how long do you think it would last before it becomes outdated and needs to be replaced?

10. Ankit2414
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

11. midweek
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

midweek , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Hi @Sat K & @Ignacio Contreras

I hope all is well with you and your families.

My question to any of you:

When 4G was being rolled out across the world, it was a confusing mess of a battle between governments, telecommunications companies. Quoted speeds were not delivered initially, information on its benifits was hyped up and often exaggerated and on top of the the roll out was no smooth across the globe with some nations still not having proper access.

How are you planning to do things differently this time round (the roll out has honestly started out bad) so that the information on what 5G can and should deliver (real world) and how users can expect the roll out to be handled is widely available for us (the general public) to be able to educate ourselves.

I feel like updates in technology in general are pushed on to us without enough explanation and alot of hyped-up talk which leads to resistance.

Average Joe and Mary are not going to Google search the 'whys' of things.

Thank you for your time
    -
    midw

12. sulaarun
    Donut Apr 28, 2020

13. G_Rakesh_Meena_CURJ
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

G_Rakesh_Meena_CURJ , Apr 28, 2020 :
    First of all Thanks @Zack for hosting this Q&A,

My question for @Sat K - 5G indeed is the future but for the developing countries like India don’t you think to setup all the infra cost more compare to the benefit taking people, what’s your take on that and can you enlight us on mm laser beam technique you are using to boost the signal.

14. Y1588071275260
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

Y1588071275260 , Apr 28, 2020 :
    @sat and @ Ignacio

I am so excited very eager to check out 5G. I am sure that you both are happy to take this technical progress to next level.

@sat
    I have a question in mind to sat. already Google is as fast and does it's best where no other concern currently are so innovative to give it's best for users. now that 5 g has launched. can you enlighten is in what way Google can improve apart from speed or in other words what changes can we expect from Google from 5G which 4g cannot provide apart from speed

15. Rajeshrajput
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

Rajeshrajput , Apr 28, 2020 :
    (my English not good)
    I have OnePlus 6t.
    And My all neighbours and family are talking about this phone.
    Tha phone is very good.
    My every friend noticed that I have oneplus and they just say 'wow'.
    I bought this phone with very effort
    Because i am form middle class family and small town.
    And I satisfied from this phone.
    the phone is value for money.
    Oneplus company make me fan.
    Thanks
    Rajesh Rajput​

16. F_Bjørn_Stolt_xLni , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 28, 2020 :
    My question to you:
    When do you think we will get 5G in Denmark? I just bought the OnePlus 8 Pro after 2 years with the 6, I can't for the next generation to arrive. I am super satisfied with your cooperation and was actually planning to visit a 5G until the pandemic delayed it.
    I would hope to be able to experience the 5G network soon.

17. V1532186081866 , via OnePlus 6 Amber Red , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Thank you for one more AMA.

My question is: I have seen 4G in India signals fluctuate even when you just move from one galli to other which is like just a few metres difference. Do you think 5G is still a good idea to go about a country where 4G is not completely setup properly. Also, which trend of people will this be helpful for ?

18. Abhinav9214
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

19. Sam peteti
    Eclair Apr 28, 2020

Sam peteti , Apr 28, 2020 :
    What impact will 5G have on telecommunications networks?

Normally if you take countries like India by the name sake they are telling 4G but we are getting 3G speed. what about 5G..?

what changes we are going to see on these network.? And there is nop to humans for the radiation.?

20. Zutart
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

Zutart , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Thank you for this!

@Sat K (sorry phone isn't tagging for some reason), one of the biggest issues I remember from when we had the 3g to 4g cutover was how phones, specifically my iPhone at the time, handled the changeover from one to the other while on an active call. numerous times I found myself having the call drop while the phone transitioned from one to the other.

5g coverage, at least in the states, has been slow to roll out and spotty at best even in areas with coverage. what, if any, differences are there in how modern phones will be able to handle seamlessly transitioning between 4g and 5g? do you foresee some of those same issues persisting until 5g coverage is more widespread and reliable?