AMA about 5G: Check the answers!

1. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 27, 2020

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020

luxuskamel and Dresa91 like this.
  2. Owenhwc
    Cupcake Apr 27, 2020

Owenhwc , Apr 27, 2020 :
    How come your 5G phones don't work in Hong Kong?
    Why have a product out when it's not been tested?

Attached Files:

G_plusone likes this.
  3. MasterJafri07
    Eclair Apr 27, 2020

MasterJafri07 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Hi @Sat K and @Ignacio Contreras,

My question is,
    As 5G is implemented in the centres of select cities, will we see 5G coming to more rural areas and not-so-well-off places in the foreseeable future?

And if so...

How will Qualcomm and Google work to use 5G to create new ways of improving and innovating a city? For example, applying 5G to Economic Infrastructure and possibly using 5G to transmit emergency notices to all citizens.

4. Alex_Cerv
    Gingerbread Apr 27, 2020

Alex_Cerv , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Hello
    @Sat K and @Ignacio Contreras

mine more than question is a consideration, as you can well read whatever about 5G;
    we see actually two types of 5G, the ones that are based on actual infrastructures, and the mWave one, the first is good faster than actual 4G+ in both up and down, the second is more that 10 times faster in download, but upload remains "slow".
    Considering 4G+ is very fast(156Mbps down in Italy) does is any way this tecnology be really useful to everyday user, or is more "connecting the world"project?

I really no see how much can be useful to normal people, except, well, in huge crowded squares or malls, where the line of sight is free and actual 4G bandwidth may be fullfilled.

thank you for your time

jomama and G_plusone like this.
  5. szymko1995
    Donut Apr 27, 2020

szymko1995 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Hi @Sat K and @Ignacio Contreras
    Is it possible to introduce new 4G/5G frequencies to existing smartphones via software/firmware updates or are there any hardware boundaries? Both in case of similar frequencies like 5GHz&6GHz and different frequency spectrum (for example 60GHz or <700MHz).

B1588071871813, Achman and G_plusone like this.
  6. chubs12
    Gingerbread Apr 27, 2020

chubs12 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Great initiative, I also have some questions to @Ignacio Contreras
    1) For the Snapdragon 865 , what was the reason to make the modem separate? On 765G we see that it is integrated. What would be the drawbacks of a two-chip solution like this?

2) How come there are such a big discrepancy in which 5G (especially) and 4G bands phones support - for example the Oneplus 8 in europe supports very few bands , but there can be other phones which support more - isnt band support unified to the Snapdragon chipset solution - and the same for all phones using the same chips?

Thanks!

7. Lokesh Dutta
    Froyo Apr 27, 2020

Lady_Victoria and Niklasg85 like this.
  8. garygates_21
    Froyo Apr 27, 2020

garygates_21 , via OnePlus 8 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    @Sat K. Do you think businesses of today will be willing to switch to an all 5G infrastructure, for their business needs? and how ready do you believe 5G is to implement there workloads.

AshishSharma353 likes this.
  9. Achman
    Gingerbread Apr 27, 2020

jomama and Lady_Victoria like this.
  10. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Apr 27, 2020

luxuskamel , Apr 27, 2020 :
    For @Ignacio Contreras
    Now that we have 5G and it will become a big thing in the next years, what will Qualcomm work at next regarding connectivity? I'm wondering if there will be a modem for satellite connections like StarLink or Iridium are building. That seems to me like a good plan for the future (except I'm not sure if its possible without having huge antennas)

11. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 27, 2020

Achman, Batman360 and Dresa91 like this.
  12. prfraczek
    Honeycomb Apr 27, 2020

Niklasg85 likes this.
  13. DarshanMeniya
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 27, 2020

DarshanMeniya , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Congratulations @Zach X. for organizing AMA about 5G!

And

Congratulations to Qualcomm Senior Director @Ignacio Contreras for making 5G chips for us!

My Honest Question to you sir is that I have heard a lot of rumours about 5G that it's 40 times faster than 4G and heard about many people's concerns are over 5G's use of the higher energy milimiter-wave radiation and that may causes serious problems to human health, please tell truth to public and as a senior director of well known brand give them some relaxation about their concerns and Do we really need 5G and Does it make revolution to this "Never Settle" world?

14. JustASoftwareEngineer

JustASoftwareEngineer , Apr 27, 2020 :
    How does organizing AMAs contrast to apprising your customers of what you're doing to fix upsetting issues with screen protectors and screen defects?

15. BhavyaMehta0786

BhavyaMehta0786 , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    My question is for @Ignacio Contreras , how do you think the internet of things and has evolved over the past few, let's say 10 years and where do you think we are heading with multi gigabit wireless speeds and what does it mean for the development of IoT?

jomama likes this.
  16. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Apr 27, 2020

fragargon , Apr 27, 2020 :
    First of all I would like to thank @Zach X.
    This is a great opportunity

@Ignacio Contreras @Sat K

The shift to 5G will undoubtedly change the way we interact with technology on a day-to-day basis. Look the changes brought by 2G, 3G, 4G mobile network technology the past years. How far this technology have impacted our lifestyle.

With a bandwidth capable of delivering peak data rates up to 20 Gbps, 5G is designed to provide much more network capacity, better latency and much more. 5G will bring a new endless information technology ecosystem. The NR (New Radio) is something that will have the true 5G format. It’s going to be the driver for most of the 5G radios. We'll have IoT object everywhere, on every aspect of our lives.

Nowodays, nonless to say it's the begining, i'm thinking about google buying Fitbit in a medical personal assistant development perspective. What about Tesla, the driveless car. Or the possibilities this would bring to emergency medical care. through this health crisis, We've seen pop-up around the earth delivery robots!

How do you see the forthcoming of mobile information technologie, what additional insights could 5G bring to the table?

I'd like to read your point of view as the leadership position you've taken in your current professional role in the mobile information technologie industry.

Thank you for your time

17. Preceptor

Preceptor , via OnePlus 7T Frosted Silver , Apr 27, 2020 :
    y question is for @Sat K

Hi Sat, As we all know the 5G market is in the infancy stage in most of the developing markets like India, moreover telecom operators are struggling to scale the infrastructure coverage after spending a huge amount on the wireless spectrum.

From the service provider end what is your plan in helping them reduce the 5G network operating cost which would also indirectly benefit the end customers.

Thanks
    Ashutosh.

B1588071871813 likes this.
  18. sanki_man

sanki_man , Apr 27, 2020 :
    I have a question for @Ignacio Contreras

Do you think that, because of all this negative publicity that 5G has right now and because of many people who are concerned about their health, people won't buy 5G devices?

Thank you OnePlus for this amazing AMA :)

Leslie_Talian and Lady_Victoria like this.
  19. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Apr 27, 2020

G_plusone , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Thanks for the AMA Zach
    Hello @Sat K and @Ignacio Contreras
    Do you think 5G will have any impact on the storage of Electronic devices?
    Will everything be moved to cloud?
    Like processing power moved to cloud ?
    Phones will be just for streaming from the cloud!

20. J1588001684635
    Cupcake Apr 27, 2020

J1588001684635 , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Hi, my question to @Ignacio Contreras
    Wifi 6 is providing more speed, low latency, high capacity in indoor. How 5G networks that uses the small cells can perform better than wifi 6 in indoor?