1. Alex_Cerv
    Gingerbread Apr 27, 2020

Alex_Cerv , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Are you really basing your question from comics? hope is a joke:eek:

2. DMos
    Cupcake Apr 27, 2020

DMos , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Hello @Sat K and @Ignacio Contreras
    Studies from various sources have discovered 5G as a potential health hazard due to the high frequencies. Is there any information you both could share on this matter?
    Do you claim that 5G is safe, or do you acknowledge there are health risks to the public when exposed to 5G towers?

The gigahertz frequencies have been studied, and are known to adversely effect and compromise the immune system. (Carcinogenic, and high susceptibility to illness)

Please respond to my concern.
    Thank you,

3. rarog
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Apr 27, 2020

rarog , Apr 27, 2020 :
    There are still no serious studies proving any of this. All frequencies used for telecommunication are 1) non-ionising (everything up to near uv-light frequencies) and 2) have relatively small intensity. Anything they can cause is warmth, when hitting matter.

You get far more ionising and actually cancerogenic radiation by being outside in the sun (and all live existed for millions of years with and even because of the sun) because far uv-light is actually radiating and can ionise molecules in the body, though only in the skin. There is natural radioactivity outside (and has always been since the earth was carrying life) - all your life every living being is accumulating C14 and loses this actually radioactive radiation with time (this is how radio-carbonic method works to determine age of dead objects).

5G and whatever 6G and 7G will be in the future, all this is more harmless than what makes nature and life work.

Cervantes, cdnfarmer and mojoyoyo77 like this.
  4. DMos
    Cupcake Apr 27, 2020

DMos , via OnePlus 5T , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Yes, there are cases of cancer that appear in people who live in areas that are very close proximity to cell towers.
    Radioactivity is not to be avoided, because its true that it exist in many forms in our atmosphere. But when human created technology comes into play, we always seem to increase exposure and concentrations of EMFs than what we are naturally used to, causing seemingly mysterious health problems, but no so mysterious.

Breast cancer is common for those who keep phones in their bras.
    Colon cancer common for those who keep phones in the back pockets.
    There are enough studies in both of these.
    And here is a petition for you...
    change.org/p/5g-network-can-cause-serious-health-issues-must-be-stopped-asap

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2020

Jeph C. and MosheG1 like this.
  5. rarog

rarog , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Sorry, there are no peer-reviewed studies that link any kinds of cancer to phones in bras or back pockets. Alarmistic and uneducated people just tend to be a loud but an absolute minority. I already know most of the links in this petition and they do not stand any checks. On the contrary they contradict knowledge that is taught in secondary education classes in school. You will rather get colon cancer due to specific diets than through phones. Also cancer is a natural decease and with better health systems and people living longer and not dying from other causes it's more probable to get any kind of cancer with age. Also there is strong link between cancer and immune system and ability of the cells to repair themselves and thus some people have higher probability to get some kind of cancer and other less. Bone cancer was even proved in bones of stone age people, so this is nothing new or special.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020

kaihp and MosheG1 like this.
  6. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 27, 2020

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Apr 27, 2020 :
    finally someone normal!

rarog likes this.
  7. 3FFA
    Eclair Apr 27, 2020

3FFA , Apr 27, 2020 :
    Will 5G be effective enough in rural areas where there's more objects blocking the line of sight? How long before we see 5G reach these rural areas?
    @Ignacio Contreras

8. DMos
    Cupcake Apr 27, 2020

DMos , Apr 27, 2020 :
    I smell Gaslighting.
    Don't wast time on that. You wouldn't want to appear to be paid for your words.
    Money has been used to keep many peer reviewed studies from surfacing as well, just to be able to allow anyone in opposition to make comments like yours.
    Those of the herd aren't expected to be a part of or respect the minority. We can lead you, but we can't make you drink.
    Breast Cancer & more
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3789302/
    http://www.mreengenharia.com.br/pdf/Netanya_Israel.pdf
    rfsafe.com/reported-health-effects-non-ionizing-rf-radiation/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2020

ZenDuende likes this.
  9. rarog

rarog , Apr 27, 2020 :
    I could reply the same to you with exactly same amount of evidence - none, so do not try this won't help your arguments. And you are using the term "gaslighting" incorrectly at least in this case, it is somewhat of a trend word in the last months.

I know this study. If you would have actually read it and read what other sources it quotes - the problem is less in the fact that phones were used, but that they played a role as a heat source. It's independent of any generation of phones per se. Wearing heating pads for the same amount of time would have led to the same effect with high probability. The study also mentions effect on warmth to male fertility - and this was also studied extensively and this happens without phones and was linked to using bikes and too high temperature near testicles. Correlation doesn't mean causality.

This study had a small amount of cases checked with a very small population sample (~ 1000) and didn't conclude that it's a fact, it was only an indication and the authors said, that it has to be studied further. There were bigger and also different studies that didn't find any coincidence (no cancer clusters and no higher cancer rates) through usage of mobile phones. Other studies on the contrary did indicate higher rates. Those had usually methodical errors, which reduced the valid sample size and how the conclusions were made.
    You can read this meta-study, which evaluates many different studies and also uses the study you linked (Wolf R, Wolf D. Increased incidence of cancer near a cell-phone transmitter station.)
    https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/88/12/09-071852/en/

This site is actually an online shop selling stuff and listing some studies (none newer than 1998) without any explanation. This site is as trustworthy as a shop selling leeches against headaches. (Btw, leeches still are used in medicine but not for reasons believed in medieval times).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020

10. B1558562699146
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

11. Chinda
    Jelly Bean Apr 28, 2020

Chinda , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Hi @Ignacio Contreras my question that I've not seen anyone else ask is do you think the Trump USA administration ban on Huawei providing 5G networking equipment to the American carriers At&t, Verizon, T-Mobile will slow the growth of 5G in the USA?

I know other companies also provide 5G networking equipment but Huawei are said to be 18 months ahead of them from a technology standpoint. Plus there rates are also much cheaper so the carriers might not be inclined to press ahead as quickly in their 5G rollout schedules.

12. avivbueno
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

avivbueno , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Hi,

I'm curious to know the following things about the new 5G technology.

Q1. Is the power delivery to the antenna constant? What is the power wattage range ? Is there an international entity that will regulate the max allowed wattage to the antenna?

Q2. What are the best new features that the new 5G technology brings besides bandwidth improvement?

Q3. Is there a well documented research about the effects of bands in the millimeters wave range on public health?

Q4. In the country that I live in fiber optics are still not around in most of the country. Currently most of the 4G antennas in the country are using repeaters and we get somewhere from 1-30mbs. Is it really a good idea to launch the new 5G technology in the country before we set up a good enough infrastructure?

13. plusgee
    Gingerbread Apr 28, 2020

14. isty
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 28, 2020

15. Abhishek654
    Honeycomb Apr 28, 2020

16. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert Apr 28, 2020

cdnfarmer , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Thanks @Zach X. for another great AMA.
    A two part question for both @Sat K and @Ignacio Contreras
    • What are some of the most difficult challenges encountered while developing 5G technologies and compatible items (e.g. mobile phones, online platforms such as Google, Wifi routers, vehicles, etc), and networks?
    • how did you overcome them?
    A third part specifically for @@Ignacio Contreras
    • how would you compare this expansion to 5G vs what happened about 10 or so years ago with the expansion of 3G and 4G and especially in the automobile and agriculture worlds?

Starcommander likes this.
  17. Plenkske
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Apr 28, 2020

Plenkske , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Nice AMA @Zach X. !
    I think a lot of people still dont know how 5G is gonna be different then 4G, and especially how they will notice it on their smartphone.

So I have 2 questions for @Sat K
    • What is the first thing, or things, that a smartphone user will notice with 5G ?
    • What are the new possibilities in Android with 5G ?

Starcommander and rarog like this.
  18. T1518119091666
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2020

19. kaihp
    Jelly Bean Apr 28, 2020

kaihp , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Correlation, Sir: Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Here's a perfectly correlated issue, of which most people can immediately see that there cannot be any causation:
    Children with large feet read better (ie: score better on reading tests) than children with small feet.

When the UK voted on whether to leave or stay in the EU, the areas where that were hit by BSE in 1993 were also the areas that had a majority of "leave" votes.

COVID-19 infection density and 5G cell tower density are also highly correlated - because 5G are put up in densely populated areas, and a high population density makes it easier for the virus to transmit to other people.

Prof.ashutosh and rarog like this.
  20. rarog
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Apr 28, 2020

rarog , Apr 28, 2020 :
    Thx, I corrected it in my text. I was tired yesterday and overlooked it. And you gave excellent examples.

kaihp likes this.