AMA about IDEAS

1. Zach X.
    Community Team Staff Member Mar 24, 2020

Zach X. , Mar 24, 2020 :
    AMA.png

Hi friends,

It's time for another AMA (Ask Me Anything). Recently, we introduced a community co-creation platform called IDEAS. It’s a new way of making your voice heard. We are glad to see all the innovative ideas the Community is putting forward. This time, I'm happy to invite @David Y., Head of OS Product Marketing and @Winkey W., Head of OxygenOS Operation Team as our guests to this AMA.

This is a good chance to ask them anything you want to know about IDEAS, or the stories behind the scenes. Also, feel free to share If you have any suggestions regarding how we can better interact with you.

David and Winkey will start answering on Mar 27, 10 PM HKT. All answers will be sticked afterwards. Questions will be considered on a rolling basis until the end of the AMA event. Therefore, we suggest getting yours in sooner rather later.

Moreover, I will randomly select 5 lucky users to get 399 raffle points!

Have a great time everyone! We look forward to hearing from you!

Winner Announced
    @Batman360
    @Demon_hunter
    @Alex_Cerv
    @BhavyaMehta0786
    @laiosg

Congratulations on winning 399 raffle points! I appreciate everyone of you who participated this AMA. See you next time!

2. David Y.
    Product Marketing Staff Member Mar 27, 2020

Stickied Post
    David Y. , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Nice question.

In fact, we had this idea maybe 2 or 3 years ago. The success of PMChallenge gave us confidence that we should put it on our roadmap. The best part was that late last year, our product team proactively reached out to us for wanting to have a platform for product co-creation.

Initially, our plan was to launch the IDEAS on the anniversary of December, but due to some roadblocks from platform development, internal workflow, and external pandemic. The launch was postponed to March 5. I am glad we made it and got off to a great start.

3. David Y.

Stickied Post
    Haha! Internally we named this project Eureka, but hey, IDEAS is just as creative as it sounds and the spirit of coming up with ideas is what we want to bring to our Community. Any suggestions to give it a better name?

4. David Y.

Stickied Post
    Hi @camohan , good to see you here.

We do agree with you that the most liked idea might not be the most useful feature in the software especially when it comes to the overall experience of the device. As we shared earlier here, there are many factors that determine what we can implement.

However, we also believe that an individual’s great idea can echo with the rest of our Community members, by having a lot of users liking or engaging with the idea. Plus, we are encouraging users to sell their own ideas to other Community members, as this is also what we do inside the product team. It's not enough to write an idea and wait for someone to appreciate it, right?

The primary criteria of this beta run are the number of votes, but other great ideas are also under our radar. If you spot some hidden gold ideas, do remember to help us bring them to the spotlight.

5. Winkey W.
    Head of the OOS Operation Team Staff Member Mar 27, 2020

Stickied Post
    Winkey W. , Mar 27, 2020 :
    Really excited to announce it's already on our roadmap! ;)

6. David Y.

Stickied Post
    Hi @BhavyaMehta0786 ,

Tbh we don't have an answer yet, as we are open to ideas that can benefit us all.

You can catch up with the latest ideas by switching to the "Newest Replied" tab. But you did bring up a fair point. We have been looking into other solutions to balance the old/new high-quality ideas.

Raghavkma, MosheG1, K.R.Soos and 9 others like this.
  7. Winkey W.

Stickied Post
    Hi, @Alex_Cerv ,

Good point. Now you can resort the ideas by clicking "newest replied" to see the latest uploads. We are also sorting out the way tha more users can be exposed to various ideas rather than top ones. We will bring more updates to this platform soon.

MosheG1, K.R.Soos, Alex_Cerv and 4 others like this.
  8. David Y.

Stickied Post
    Yo! That's a lot of good questions.

1) Yes. It's indeed a challenge for us to follow all the ideas, kinda bittersweet you know.

2+4) We won't say that. This thread (written by me) is highly recommended.

3) As I just answered, we don't have an answer yet, we are open to great ideas that can benefit us all.

5) Thanks! This Community needs you as well. Stay strong.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020

9. Winkey W.

Stickied Post
    Hi, @Panos1988 ,Nice meeting you.:)

Here is my answer. Bringing a software feature to life needs to take a lot factors into consideration such as hardware compatibility, regional legal regulations and so on. We will try our best to bring the best possible products and services to all of our users.
    But rest assured that we'll try ou best to provide the best possible products and services to all of our users!

10. David Y.

Stickied Post
    Hi @Impersonal , Sounds like you've got a lot to share. That's nice!

Software is a perfect starting point for IDEAS. Of course, we love to explore more areas after this global beta run. The goal of this beta run is to ensure a solid user journey and smooth internal workflow. We can open up to more topics after the goal is achieved. It's a step-by-step process.

11. Winkey W.

Stickied Post
    Hey,@Dresa91

We will contact the submitter via messages in the Community to kindly ask for clarification.

12. Winkey W.

Stickied Post

MosheG1, askolte, Alex_Cerv and 6 others like this.
  13. David Y.

Stickied Post
    Hi @cdnfarmer , how you doing?

We belong to different departments, but both roles are serving as the bridge between the OS product team and our users. And we all involved in the IDEAS project, deeply. Kudos to Winkey's team as they are taking good care of most of the ideas.

MosheG1, Alex_Cerv, Zach X. and 4 others like this.
  14. David Y.

Stickied Post
    Alright folks, it's time for a shower. Thanks for having me tonight. I will be back tomorrow morning to make sure I have most of your questions covered.

Btw everyone knows AOD has been adopted, right?
    cheers.gif

Cheers!

MosheG1, cdnfarmer, Batman360 and 5 others like this.
  15. David Y.
    Product Marketing Staff Member Mar 28, 2020

Stickied Post
    David Y. , Mar 28, 2020 :
    Happy weekend friends, now back to the AMA.

Unfortunately, this is an off-topic question.

Hi RAYZAR, considering each idea is different, we have to evaluate them case-by-case.

Tough question. I would appreciate it if our overall software interface can be more friendly to left-handed people (I am one of those 10% minorities). For instance, allow swiping the recent apps from right to left.

Personally, I expect more Community members can share their ideas like what @laiosg did.

Nah Andy, you know it's just a code...

We have a great team to handle different kinds of situations. The coming project has been taken great care of.

Hi Manav, it's happening now.

Following all the ideas is a challenge for us, so if you spot any good ideas worthy of attention, do remember to tag us.

Regarding to your last question, we don't see any harm to do so, but we might miss catching up on those ideas. Again, tag us. Thanks!

Batman360, MosheG1, DavideG. and 4 others like this.
  16. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 24, 2020

17. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Mar 24, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Mar 24, 2020 :
    I'm always curious about behind scenes... My question is: how was born the main idea for IDEAS and how did that evolve internally?
    Thank you! :D

18. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Mar 24, 2020

Dresa91 , Mar 24, 2020 :
    this is a nice IDEA @David Y., @Winkey W. and @Zach X. :)

My question: How difficult is it for the team to discuss the submitted ideas during the pandemic? How difficult is it to get in contact with the idea submitters and to understand the ideas in concrete terms and then implement them?

cheers :)

19. Starcommander
    Lollipop Mar 24, 2020

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020

20. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Mar 24, 2020

camohan , Mar 24, 2020 :
    AMA is great always.

One related question - The primary criteria in selecting the ideas for evaluation is based on the Likes a particular idea receives. While I understand more likes is equal to popular request, however, a popular request may not necessarily be useful or it may not be practically possible to get them in the software.

I wanted to know if the team actually goes through the ideas posted by users irrespective of likes, to identify a potentially useful idea which may benefit the masses.

One unrelated question - Why does the lucky winner get 399 raffles why not 400? :p

21. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Mar 24, 2020

YRJ , Mar 24, 2020 :
    Because 4 is unlucky in china. Remember there was no OnePlus 4 :p

22. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Mar 24, 2020

23. IhaveaOnePlus
    Gingerbread Mar 24, 2020

Laree, Sach716, B.I.T.S. and 3 others like this.
  24. Q1584198870929
    Eclair Mar 24, 2020

Q1584198870929 , Mar 24, 2020 :
    a proud user of oneplus 7t here...i love this phone...it's blazingly fast...it's premium...got a great screen and stereospeakers...i simply love the oxygen os...i like the feeling that ur using a rare phone in your place( i'm from the philippines)...i just have two minor issues...first,abt the camera...its portrait is not as strong or aggresive compare to others.its shots are a little bit softer...and the nightscape is not atleast in par in comparison to competitors.when in complete darkness,nightscape is dark and got that reddish or pinkish hue/color and is not the most natural...hopefully oneplus team can address this...and lastly, there's no notification light and AOD...not all the times u have the luxury to tap ur cp for any notifications...nevertheless, it's almost perfect phone...pls maintain ur great interactive and supportive approach to ur customers...KUDOS ONEPLUS...😀

Zach X., Laree and G_plusone like this.
  25. S1583388550909
    Cupcake Mar 24, 2020

G_plusone likes this.
  26. BhavyaMehta0786
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 24, 2020

BhavyaMehta0786 , Mar 24, 2020 :
    How may "IDEAS" do you think you will be able to implement out of the top 20? And also not resetting the likes of all the idea suggestions submitted seem to be unfair for newer ideas as they do not get an equivalent chance to gather likes while the older, more liked ideas are always shown first making it even easier for them to gain likes, they are great ideas yes, but I have seen better ideas with 0 or a very low no. of likes just because they were posted late and very few, if any, venture beyond the top few most liked suggestions

Zach X., Laree, Starcommander and 5 others like this.
  27. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Mar 24, 2020

28. Batman360 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Mar 24, 2020 :
    Ahaa there's a thread I have been waiting for.

Questions :-

1.) Will you guys be reading ideas with zero likes too?

2.) The ideas that won't be considered to go in the future deployments; do you think that those ideas are unnecessary, or would require a lot of time, or would be beneficial for small group of individuals or any negative criticism?

3.) How many ideas would you be implementing out of 3000+ ideas that i know of?

4.) The deployment roadmap you talked about how do you place your builds in this map? What makes an idea deserving to be on that roadmap?

5.) This one is not a question but an appreciation for the people reading out all the ideas and taking out time discussing it and to all the software developers like me who gives their best to provide a seemless user experience[e]2764[/e]️ Stay safe you guys, community needs you[e]1f64c[/e]

cdnfarmer, YRJ, Zach X. and 7 others like this.
  29. Batman360 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Mar 24, 2020 :
    This could be implemented after the second round[e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]

30. BhavyaMehta0786
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 24, 2020

BhavyaMehta0786 , Mar 24, 2020 :
    *cough cough* guy who has 2 suggestions in the top 5 *cough cough* [e]1f602[/e] no hard feelings tho, your ideas are pretty awesome too

31. Deactivated User
    Mar 24, 2020

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2020

32. Batman360 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Mar 24, 2020 :
    That cough better not be the virus🙄 Thanks for the compliment though [e]1f601[/e] Also I have 6-7 more ideas in that, that needs limelight so your thing might help[e]1f602[/e]

33. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Mar 24, 2020

34. DavideG.
    Gingerbread Mar 24, 2020

DavideG. , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 24, 2020 :
    do you have any idea to create a OnePlus ecosystem? in addition to TV, which is not yet available in Europe, do you have future plans to expand the OnePlus ecosystem? Thank you.
    NEVER SETTLE.

Laree and Dresa91 like this.