AMA: Accessory & Gear Team

1. Zach X.
    Community Team Staff Member May 18, 2020

Zach X. , May 18, 2020 :
    banner copy.png

Hey guys, it's AMA time again! Last time, we invited 5G industry experts from Google and Qualcomm for a special AMA about 5G. I'm impressed by your passion for this AMA and also by the professional answers from our guests! This time, I'm thrilled to invite more staff members, from accessories and gear team, @Christine L., @Donna L. and @Leo Lei!

@Christine L.
    Hello, everyone! I'm Christine, the product manager of accessory team. I'm currently mainly responsible for OnePlus case & protection, and some audio products. In addition, I'm also the designer and product manager of protective cases for the OnePlus 7 Series & OnePlus 8 Series. Feel free to ask me any questions, and I'm also here to listen to all your interesting ideas.

@Donna L.
    What's up guys! I'm Donna, the designer and product manager of OnePlus Explorer Backpack. I'm mainly responsible for OnePlus gear products. The OnePlus gear, such as T-shirts, bags, water bottles and various peripherals, that you got through various official channels are all from my team. Open your mind and ask me anything you want!

@Leo Lei
    Hi guys. I'm Leo, the product manager in charge of OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z. I'm very happy to join the AMA again! Do you like the new BWZ with more color options? I use BWZ everyday, and it is very convenient to use for the daily conference calls. The long battery life provides me burdenless experience. I like the color Oat the most, how about you?
    If you have any suggestion or question about the BWZ, I'm happy to answer them!

22.png

Rules
    Starting today, we'll be collecting questions for the AMA on this thread! Our guests will start answering your questions on May 21, 8pm HKT. Because of the limited time, they will be only answering no more than 20 questions in total. We appreciate your understanding, so make sure you ask a great and interesting question!
    • Leave your questions and tag the guests you want to get an answer from
    • Each guest will select one of his or her favorite questions and give away a special gift from their team!
    • Questions will be considered on a rolling basis until the end of the AMA. We suggest getting yours in sooner rather later.
    • Standard terms and conditions applied.

Have a great time!

Winners Announced
    @Batman360,
    @ARNABSANU,
    @Overzee

2. Leo Lei
    Accessory Product Manager Staff Member May 21, 2020

Stickied Post
    Leo Lei , May 21, 2020 :
    According to feedbacks from previous Bullets Wireless 2 users, the frequency of them using the carry case is very low. Therefore, we decided to remove the carry case in the package.

3. Leo Lei

Stickied Post
    Leo Lei , May 21, 2020 :
    Maybe we can design a more creative and textured bag which fits BWZ perfectly, just like what @Batman360 suggested in the other post.

4. Leo Lei

Stickied Post
    Leo Lei , May 21, 2020 :
    We certainly have such considerations, so please keep an eye on OnePlus audio product! ;)

5. Donna L.
    Gear Product Manager Staff Member May 21, 2020

Stickied Post
    Donna L. , May 21, 2020 :
    Listening to the needs of users is an important part of our product planning. Of course, there are also trend analysis, market research, and novel and interesting designs and gadgets I like personally lol. Lifestyle products do not only represent the OnePlus brand, but also represent a lifestyle and attitude we yearn for. High quality, no burden, the user experience has always been reflected in our products. With the rise of more young users, OnePlus Gear will also allow users to have a try on more trendy and exclusive products.

6. Donna L.

Stickied Post
    CORDURA has been used in military equipment for a long time because of its wear resistance, tear resistance, and water resistance. The choice of CORDURA is also in line with the spirit and physical characteristics of OnePlus Explorer Backpack. Thank you for loving our products!

7. Donna L.

Stickied Post
    Thank you for your question, this is a very good one. Explorer's magnetic buckle is a very good selling point and highlight of it. People who like it like it very much, and people who don't like it don't like it very much. When I upgrade the Explorer Backpack again, I want to improve its using experience. The product itself should also be more burden-free.

8. Donna L.

Stickied Post
    OnePlus gear products will be more and more focused on the level of core fans. At present, we can get the latest gear products by participating in more important events such as our launch event and Pop Up. Of course, maybe one day you can also see the new gear on the official website.

9. Donna L.

Stickied Post
    Thank you for your love of OnePlus Explorer Backpack. I am an amateur cyclist. I found that many helmets or kettles have a safe and fast way to open and close. The use and observation in daily life make me want to apply these ideas to other products. It seems that a lot of inspiration comes from our daily life.

10. Donna L.

Stickied Post
    Thank you for your understanding, there are indeed considerations in cost. However, OnePlus' pursuit of the product itself is prioritized over consideration of profit or price. Bullets Wireless Z is a good example. We will consider this question again.

11. Christine L.
    Accessory Product Manager Staff Member May 22, 2020

Stickied Post
    Christine L. , May 22, 2020 :
    ---------------------

At present, there are two difficulties in the production of our protective glass:
    1. The curved screen has large curvature on both sides. However, the protective glass cannot perfectly fit the curvature on both sides. At present, there is no protective glass manufacturer on the market that can solve the problem of curved screen bonding.
    2. There are tolerances on mobile phone screens, which is a phenomenon that exists on all mobile phones. Tolerance within a certain range is allowed, but it will also prevent the protective glass from fitting perfectly on some mobile phones, and there will be bubbles on the surface that are difficult to eliminate.
    If we want to solve the above problem of fitting rate, we need to thicken the protective glass to weaken the problems caused by tolerances, but this will affect our fingerprint recognition. To get an excellent fingerprint recognition experience, we need to make a thin and light protective glass.
    At present, the curved protective glass selling on the market all have the problem of poor adhesion. It is because we have higher requirements for the fitting rate and lightness of the official protective glass, hoping to make products that Never Settle, the protective glass that meets our standards has been unable to be released.
    We are currently exploring other ways to give the screen extra protection.

12. Christine L.

Stickied Post
    -------------------------------------
    Thank you for loving our crossover case. At present, we do not have more product plans for other protective cases on 8 Pro. But now we have launched the "creatives +" plan, and there will be more partners from different fields to create more interesting products with us. Stay tuned.

13. Christine L.

Stickied Post
    Thank you for your advice! We are currently exploring the possibility of related ideas. Personalized customization is pretty cool. I also hope to have my own unique accessories myself! However, user customization put greater pressure on our back-end management (for example, when the order volume is large, different patterns are very difficult to separate). We are currently exploring some solutions that can provide customized services to users, while also ensuring that we do not put too much pressure on our colleagues in the supply chain department

14. Christine L.

Stickied Post
    Thanks you for your suggestion! We also noticed that there are a lot of users who like denim. On the protective case, we attach great importance to the feel and fashion. Regarding the application of fiber materials, we are currently doing some new process exploration. Please stay tuned. Welcome to share new ideas with me

SRD., Venky61, MosheG1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Christine L.

Stickied Post
    For materials and design, we have been constantly collecting new processes and new materials on the market. We will also conduct analysis and research based on popular trends and the preferences of our users. The final products that can be put on the market are those that have passed our strict selection and meet our standards. Before the mass production of products, we will go through a series of quality-related tests (such as wear resistance test, drop test, aging test, dirt resistance test, etc.) that are higher than industry standards to ensure that the listed products can provide users with the best experience .

luxuskamel, Venky61, MosheG1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Christine L.

Stickied Post
    Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, our current plan is to only provide new cases for new models. In the future, when we are making plans, we will also collect relevant needs and research to see if we need to make corresponding plans.

luxuskamel, Venky61, gaster and 3 others like this.
  17. Christine L.

Stickied Post
    Thank you for your question. Regarding the design of the protective case, we will make a lot of new color and new design proposals every time, but in the end we will only choose the design that best fits our mobile phone and brand style. We will gradually have more cool designs and richer colors in the future, so stay tuned ~ Regarding the tempered film, because there is still no process on the market that can solve the problem of the fit of the curved screen, and our quality control of the product is very strict, so we will not go on sale until the product can meet our standards. But we are also looking for some other solutions, and strive to provide users with official protective films in the future

18. Zach X.
    Community Team Staff Member May 25, 2020

Stickied Post
    Zach X. , May 25, 2020 :

Batman360

@Leo Lei my question for you is :-

You know we all love the pouch that came with BW-1 and BW-2 [e]1f60d[/e] What was the reason to skip it with BW-Z? Why not redesign the pouch to make it a better fit to store the bullets, instead of hogging the bullets into them? 🙈

P.S. I know you secretly love the pouch too, the material is just irrestible🤤​

ARNABSANU

My question rather a suggestion is for @Christine L.

I wish there was an online tool for creating individual customised phone cases where there would be options such as material type, colour, etc, and then it could be delivered to us. This thing was available for my Moto G3 way back in 2015 where people could add their loved colours to the phone cases and place an order.
    I think many people would love this.​

Overzee

@Donna L., since the release of the OnePlus Explorer backpack I can imagine that you've received quite some feedback over time. If you could name one aspect of the current OnePlus Explorer backpack that you would improve in the 2.0 version, what would it be?​

Congratulations guys! Your questions are selected as our guests' favorites. Be prepared for the little surprise

Last edited: May 28, 2020

Chinda, luxuskamel, Artemus. and 5 others like this.
  19. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 May 18, 2020

Dresa91 , May 18, 2020 :
    Hey @Zach X. :)
    Thank you for organizing the next AMA round:)

@Christine L., welcome:) My question to you:
    Why does it always take so long until official protective glass is offered in the OnePlus store? There are many third-party providers on the Internet who sell protective glass almost immediately after the launch of a new OnePlus device. Why does it take so long with OnePlus?
    (P.S. for the OnePlus 8 series there is no protective glass as of now (18 May 2020, 3:08 pm in Germany, CEST))

20. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert May 18, 2020

Cheetosdust , May 18, 2020 :
    Hello @Zach X.,

thank you for organizing these threads. Your work is appreciated.

@Christine L. With the OnePlus 7 and the OnePlus 8 Series, more than ever, you can actually see the company making strides in the premium segment.

My question is: why can’t we have that more reflected in the cases? We had an official leather case for the OnePlus 3 Series. I can imagine the sales were not that amazing, however, I do think that having leather cases for the OnePlus 7 and the OnePlus 8 Series would make perfect sense from a "premium hegemony" point of view.

Thank you.

21. G_plusone
    Marshmallow May 18, 2020

G_plusone , May 18, 2020 :
    Nice one Again @Zach X.
    Hello to @Christine L. @Donna L. @Leo Lei
    Now we need Michaelangelo and Raphael

My question is to @Donna L.
    Have you considered making China only Accessories which was available before Global like Leather Wallet ?
    I really loved the Explorer Backpack and hope I will get one one day
    Any new backpacks coming soon?

Last edited: May 18, 2020

22. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert May 18, 2020

23. IamIRONSman
    OnePlus Accessory Tester May 18, 2020

IamIRONSman , May 18, 2020 :
    @Donna L. and other members of the One Plus team, I hope you are keeping well.

My question, Are there any plans for more variety One Plus merchandise to be within the store such as T-shirts, hoodies, water bottles, etc as well as backpacks?

I know the focus is primarily on technology and making future One Plus phones as premium as possible but I think it would be great to be able to show your support for the brand in other ways.

Thank you.

24. G_plusone
    Marshmallow May 18, 2020

G_plusone , May 18, 2020 :
    I'm thankful the Accessories aren't as Pricey as the Phones have become and other Apple accessories like The Wheels or the Stands :D

25. umang___
    Eclair May 18, 2020

umang___ , via OnePlus 7T , May 18, 2020 :
    @Christine L.

1) why don't you add videos of some hidden features/totor videos of using OnePlus device
    2) give some leaks officially to users about the features coming in their device

actually these made us excited and make hype of OnePlus more

26. Abhishek654
    Honeycomb May 18, 2020

Abhishek654 , May 18, 2020 :
    @Leo Lei
    My question, ,Is there any major difference between Oneplus Bullets 2 and Oneplus wireless Z ?
    Do i need to upgrade .?

27. MKT_IRFAN3735
    Jelly Bean May 18, 2020

28. SJBoss
    Lollipop May 18, 2020

SJBoss , May 18, 2020 :
    @Donna L. Just wanted to tell you that your team makes really great products. I really like the bottles and new T shirts.

29. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer May 18, 2020

MosheG1 , May 18, 2020 :
    @Donna L.

first of all I just want to say that I have been eyeing those backpacks of yours for almost a year now. they look awesome!

my question to you is, over the years there have been so many OnePlus accessories from wallets to water bottles to t-shirts to backpacks and even power banks. what I want to know is how do you decide on what products to make (it's not just standard hoodies and t-shirts), and how do you make each of those products something that has imbued the OnePlus ethos?

Last edited: May 18, 2020

30. Starcommander

Starcommander , May 18, 2020 :
    Hiiiiii!!! I am so happy to see you at forums. I met you once in product interview.
    Can't wait to see more of your works! 😁

31. Mechnizmo
    Cupcake May 18, 2020

Mechnizmo , via OnePlus 7T , May 18, 2020 :
    Hey @Leo Lei,
    I wanted to understand the reason behind leaving out super low latency modes on the BWZ. The Gaming Mode dies offer some reprise, but with games becoming increasingly heavy on reflexes, a split second makes the difference between winning and losing.

durwoodghib likes this.
  32. BhavinKor
    Cupcake May 18, 2020

BhavinKor , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 18, 2020 :
    @Christine L and @Leo Li

what about one plus launching audio pods and approximate cost?
    Why do you stop giving accessories along with the phone after a certain period of time and then begin giving again. I had bought an one plus 7 pro sometime back and no accessories was provided, though some others have received some accessories like earphones, phone case/ cover and USB-C adapter

Aditya7549 likes this.
  33. MosheG1

MosheG1 , May 18, 2020 :
    @Christine L.

my suggestion to you would be, would you be open to making a case with a built in battery for even longer battery life for the OnePlus phones? obviously they would be WarpCharge compatible. (I'm thinking of something similar to Apple's charging case)

and my question to you is: making cases is really hard to do, from the texture to the actual protectiveness of the case to not having it too bulky every case I'm sure gets a ton of thought (whether to cover the buttons or not to cover the buttons because then they won't have the same feel etc.)

so what I want to know is in your 2 main lines of cases (the standard and bumper case) why did you choose to form the cases the way you did (why does the standard case not have the buttons covered etc. while the bumper does. and why does the bumper not protrude as much to protect the screen and back as much as a OtterBox case for example.) so basically please walk me through the though process behind the making of the cases and what features are carefully considered that consumers might not even notice?

34. sharibhasan694 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Almond , May 18, 2020 :
    Love these AMA sessions

@Christine L.

Hi Christine,

My question is for you. What according to you are the challenges and criteria of designing the protective cases/covers for OnePlus devices in terms of material to be used, its strength and durability to withstand damage etc. Also what about 3D tempered glass protection for curved displays?

I am currently a 7 Pro user (Almond - Love the color) and the pre applied screen protector that comes out of the box had to be removed because it was coming off. I tried searching the online store but I noticed that OnePlus has 3D tempered glass protection for flat screens but not for curved displays and I wanted one pretty badly for such an expensive phone.

I have the Nylon Bumper case and it is absolutely amazing. OnePlus' first party cases are the best.

Hope you consider my question.

Thank you.

35. Starcommander

Starcommander , May 18, 2020 :
    Hi @Christine L.
    I love the fact that there is more color options for the sandstone cases of 8 Series. In my opinion the smokey purple and cyan is the most unique official cases I have ever seen.
    My question is :
    What was your inspiration behind the choice of those amazing colors(smokey purple and cyan) ?
    I am sure just like bw2 olive green there must have been a lot of research behind choosing those colors. I would be more than happy if you could share the story behind it.
    :)

36. Lokesh Dutta
    Gingerbread May 18, 2020

Lokesh Dutta , May 18, 2020 :
    @Christine L.

Hi, Christine

What is the most passionate thing you want to put into the OnePlus8 series case so that OnePlus lover never ever stop him or herself to buy that case to make their OnePlus8 series smartphone Extraordinary. 🙂🙂

37. MosheG1

MosheG1 , May 18, 2020 :
    @Leo Lei

I am a big fan of the bullets wireless 2 and have been using them for almost a year (I actually need to get a new pair as this one has developed a buzzing in the right ear)

my question for you is what were some of the critiques that you heard about the bullets wireless 2 that you listened to and fixed for the bullets wireless Z? for example I've always wanted the magnets on my bullets wireless 2 to be stronger (and from what I understand they are harder to disconnect on their own on the bullets Z) and I'm sure there were lots of little things that had been changed to make an even better pair of earbuds so can you tell us what were some of the critiques of the bullets wireless 2 that you took advice from when creating the Bullets wireless Z?