AMA: Ask Amanda and the Community team

1. David Y.
    OS Product Marketing Staff Member Dec 3, 2019

David Y. , Dec 3, 2019 :
    AMA.png

Hi friends,

I just officially introduced Amanda as the new head of Community to everyone here. We know you may have some questions regarding everything Community, so we created this thread to open the dialogue. Feel free to let us know 1) What your ideal community looks like and 2) Drop your welcome message or your question in the comment section. The Community team is here to do its best to answer. If you want to ask something to anyone in particularly, be sure to tag that person.

@Amanda W. - Head of Community
    @Robin A. - Community Product Manager
    @Crystal Z. - Community Team
    @dsmonteiro - CommunityTeam
    @Trista W. - Community Team

Have fun!

2. Dresa91
    Android Q Dec 3, 2019

3. YRJ
    Marshmallow Dec 3, 2019

YRJ , Dec 3, 2019 :
    Hello @Amanda W. Welcome to the community!
    All the best as you get started with the new role. We are nice people, trust me :D

4. YRJ
    Marshmallow Dec 3, 2019

YRJ , Dec 3, 2019 :
    I think that the community is pretty good and veery close to ideal!
    Users interact freely and the staff members are very friendly. I really don't have anything to complain about. You all are doing great :)

Even at 3 community members and a manager, I believe the team is understaffed. Are you planning to get more team members onboard? Given that the community is expanding rapidly and slowly the forums are taking shape to be an important element of the brand. What are your thoughts?

All the best :)

5. Amanda W.
    Head of Community Staff Member Dec 3, 2019

Amanda W. , Dec 3, 2019 :
    It's also my second family.;)

6. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Dec 3, 2019

Cheetosdust , Dec 3, 2019 :
    Thank you for this thread, @David Y. and the warmest hello to you, @Amanda W. :)

@Amanda W., do you think a more visible/strong presence of the Staff Members on the forums is going to be something you'll try to achieve or do you feel like the strategy to make this place more dynamic is not related to that?

@Amanda W., any plans for the European community? I mean, something like OnePlus is doing with the India initiatives and like @Ruby G. is doing with the NA side of things?

@Amanda W., how is it possible that you are reading this post for about 30 seconds and you already realized that some Portuguese are nice and not all of us are like @dsmonteiro? :p :rolleyes:

Just have fun, many congratulations on your new title, I'm sure you'll do a great job. And I was kidding, @dsmonteiro is a great mentor (I was told :D), so feel free to ask him every single thing you need. Yes, even if you are thirsty and you just need a bottle of water, he will help you. Always. :cool:

7. Dresa91
    Android Q Dec 3, 2019

Dresa91 , Dec 3, 2019 :
    yeah, good to hear:) ;)

8. Amanda W.

Yep, I know that people in the forum are sooooooo nice~and I look forward to building better forum with all of you.

9. YRJ
    Marshmallow Dec 3, 2019

YRJ , Dec 3, 2019 :
    With the little that I know of,
    @Crystal Z. @dsmonteiro and @Trista W. I can say they are amazing people. You have a great time working with them and chatting with us :)

10. Amanda W.

For your second answer,I reallyyyyyy hope Carl and Pete realize it:p

11. Starcommander
    Lollipop Dec 3, 2019

Starcommander , Dec 3, 2019 :
    I am sure you will enjoy your time here!
    You can talk to us anytime, anywhere!!!

12. YRJ
    Marshmallow Dec 3, 2019

YRJ , Dec 3, 2019 :
    For that you will have to push them to visit the forums more often. ;) :D

13. Starcommander
    Lollipop Dec 3, 2019

Starcommander , Dec 3, 2019 :
    You reminded me of someone from this forums
    •́ ‿ ,•̀

14. MosheG1
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2019

15. suraj1595
    Honeycomb Dec 3, 2019

suraj1595 , Dec 3, 2019 :
    @Amanda W. Good luck to you!

Ideal community, I feel is where there's mutual respect and people help eachother and answer queries of fellow users only for the sole purpose of helping them. And not just for the sake of climbing up the user ladder, getting more likes and jumping up the Android versions besides their user names in which case, it fails to serve its purpose. An ideal community is where this dark game of user ladder, doesn't make the people climbing up, to give sarcastic answers to every user's query, like it's been seen in almost all the threads- to show either that they know a lot/or the user asking the question is too dumb.

I have no questions for you, but best wishes. :)

A suggestion, though, I do have is any of the 5 members, standing as community representatives, to actually represent the company. Like to be more transparent in what's going on behind the scenes, maybe tell us why a build/ software update failed, maybe live telecast the the Raffles winners drawing, and maybe share the results of surveys that's conducted so often.

What do you think about these? @Amanda W.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019

16. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Dec 3, 2019

17. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2019

Impersonal , Dec 3, 2019 :
    Hello there @Amanda W.

To barely touch on the matter
    , the Community really needs a stronger staff presence in the every day endeavors, not only when a new product (or line or products) is/are launching , I mean @dsmonteiro and @Crystal Z. even though they are hard working (and obviously overworked) really need help, in managing this great yet HUGE Community... Some things need a resolve ASAP, the first thing any staff member new or old should do is to actually read their dm's, people are really trying to be helpful... the worst thing that happens here, is frankly neglected, a fail to push through a (great) idea to completion, the lack of official involvement, in the fallow-up, some examples that come to mind, as I said even though originally great, due to lack of management and communication are really becoming a black stain on the reputation of OP and the Community:

- https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/join-the-be-the-change-challenge-and-win-a-oneplus-7t.1103231/

Still waiting on the winner ideas since 18 Oct

- https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...-with-oneplusgoexplore.1071312/#post-20528145

https://www.oneplus.com/ro/goexplore

This thread and this web page associated with it are in a state of limbo and neglected, and didn't actually provided what it promised... I know you forgot about them, just close and delete already if you can't actually provide what you took responsibility for...

- the fact that winners of the competitions and Contests are still waiting for their fairly won prizes even after 2-3-4-5 months, even though they were told it would be 10 days :laughing:... That seems unfair and unprofessional..

Let's see what else, ah yes, the actual CUBE platform, that was a great initiative, really is neglected and it's sad, it could really be a tool in promoting great users content great content etc, yet ignored completely, just look at it for yourselves :

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...e-cube-a-space-where-knowledge-flows.1079835/

What else, even though OP is highly orientated towords users and Community (atleast at declarative level), and still fail to give recognition/credit or a simple shout-out, when they use user generated content (pictures, artwork etc) for marketing (in FB, Insta, even official Announcement) is not only saddening is actually a huge discouragement, and highly unprofessional and unusual..

Let's se what else... hmm.. the fact that great user generated high quality content lacks the proper acknowledgement and promotion, often even failed to be mentioned in the weekly update, not to mention highlighted or something, those threds are rarely even visited by any staff members, it would kill you to actually, leave a like or a comment, you know, show some love back, for all the hard work people are investing here... and the saddest part from this attitude is that the rest of the Community is actually missing-out on some awesome threads...

The fact that we are bombarded with blatent promotional, comercial, marketing is also very off-putting and it makes OP seem concentrated on only one thing, selling products at any cost, that's the official mentality of any souless company, I just thought OP was different, not to mention it might backfire, I mean the fact that we had pushed on our eyes, atleast 4 (2deepdives, a new colorway anauncemet even a contest quiz) highly promoted threads about BW2, is really fatiguing, and if I didn't already owned a pair, I would never buy one, because after all this over promotion, they become very... boring and tiresome, I mean this is the OnePlus Community, we already know about them, bought them, even if they are technically outdated, as @meatandy poited today, at that price point, they should have been TRUE wireless...

And for the end of my comment, I wanna add that I concur with @Cheetosdust , the Europe branch of the Community experience is way subpar, just look at what amazing things @Ruby G. is doing on the N-American region, and then look at the strange piano....

All the best, I don't expect a overnight resolve, but acknowledgement is the first step..

You're welcome, I wish you all the best !

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019

18. B.I.T.S.
    KitKat Dec 3, 2019

B.I.T.S. , Dec 3, 2019 :
    My ideal community looks like a place where there's no need to close useless threads, where you don't need to scroll through similar, random, spam messages to find what you're looking for. A place where those that have a strong inner light can shine through not being covered by the amount of similar random comments/threads. A fair place where there's no space for disappointments because the problems are not only listened but solutions are given.

And I could continue... But since all this is gonna be forgotten in the wind, I'll say that even tho things aren't ideal, and probably they will never be, this place has wonderful things that are worth staying.

Welcome @Amanda W. (again)!!

I support @Cheetosdust question about the future of the EU community. I think we all feel a bit left behind comparing with others...

And I have another question for you. What would you change or include in this community if you had all the power/permissions/help to do it?

19. pintukundu97
    Donut Dec 3, 2019

Amanda W. and G_plusone like this.