AMA: Ask Amanda and the Community team

1. Amanda W.
    Head of Community Staff Member Dec 19, 2019

Amanda W. , Dec 19, 2019 :

@Cheetosdust, thank you for your great questions and apologies for the delayed response. In terms of your first question, I would say that all of our staff are keen to participate in communicating with users in the forum. To be honest, we are quite a lack of time and energy for deep involvement in the past. I know this should not be the pretext for not allocating resources properly. We’re deeply aware of this issue now and putting the effort into changing the situation in order to improve the interactions with users. This is not limited to our community team, but also encourage our product managers, software team members or Carl and Pete to actively participating in communicating with users. I also plan to invite them to join in regular discussions about the product or software to generate more high-quality threads. However, the most important duty for our community team is to create and maintain a stimulating intellectual atmosphere for all kinds of people to partake in. I imagine that in the next step, people can easy to obtain the latest information and talk about this not only about our products also in this interest. OnePlus forum can help them find friends with the same interest or experts in a certain realm. It is also a platform where groups of people jointly create and maintain content through contribution and collaboration. Once our users have a thread on their product problems, they can get help from others. Even some product ideas or system requirements can come from the forum users. I know there’s a lot more to do to achieve this object, but we are better optimistic about this because a lot of users like you still support us.

G_plusone, Cheetosdust and YRJ like this.
  2. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Dec 19, 2019

Cheetosdust , Dec 19, 2019 :
    Hello Amanda, no worries at all. Thank you so much for replying to my questions. :)

Not only it's great that OnePlus is aware of it, encouraging those key staff members to participate a little bit more sounds like a great idea. I would personally love to see that happening more often, even being fully aware the team is not only focused on the forums.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. It makes me really happy how well you know the deepest sense of what a community is. It truly is, and should be even more, a place to talk about tech, know OnePlus a little bit better, and to make friends from all over the world.

Many thanks for your kind words, Amanda. It's my pleasure and my honor to be part of this community. Everything I - and we - can do to make it a little bit better, I'm sure you can count on all of us.

Your journey as a Head of OnePlus Community is still on its embryo phase, but I truly love what you are doing and I believe 100% you'll continue to make this place a better one. I deeply appreciate your work and care. Thank you once again. :)

G_plusone and Amanda W. like this.
  3. StopItRawr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 19, 2019

StopItRawr , Dec 19, 2019 :
    I think one of the best things you can do to keep the community engaged is to make our input valued.

At the moment, the community is turning a bit into being told what's good for us, and incessant update threads!

Look at the current series of threads like this: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/the-oneplus-7t-a-gaming-powerhouse.1152857/

A great idea, but one where you've already answered what you want us to hear, and there's no evidence that anything we say is getting back to the team.

A good community require a dialogue, not throwing questions out there and then receiving the answers in silence. Engagement, and bringing people into the process are key to keeping people here.

It's a thankless task also, but I wish you good luck, because half of community relations isn't just getting the community on board, but getting the company on the other side to value the time invested in the community as much as their other duties.

Cheetosdust, G_plusone and Amanda W. like this.
  4. Amanda W.
    Head of Community Staff Member Dec 20, 2019

Amanda W. , Dec 20, 2019 :
    Regarding "any plans for the European community? I mean, something like OnePlus is doing with the India initiatives and like @Ruby G. is doing with the NA side of things"

Actually, it's more complicated and huge workload for operating the forum in EU than I thought. I also realize how hard was David M's work. I‘ll try to address this problem but it might need more time to find a better way.
    p.s Any suggestions, pls feel free to contact me. ;)

5. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Dec 20, 2019

Cheetosdust , Dec 20, 2019 :
    Thank you once again for your message, it truly means a lot. :)

Yes, something like @Ruby G. is doing for the NA part of the community or how sometimes we see some initiatives for the Indian community. I do understand that some things only work on certain markets and that different markets need different incentives.

I applaud all those initiatives and I love seeing those fans truly excited about them, but I do feel that we should have a little bit of a hegemony and "several @Ruby G." allocated to the different regions.

Hah, about the second paragraph on your post, I can only imagine how big the workload can be and how hard the work is. Personally, I feel like it's going to be a step-by-step process, (that's fine and completely normal, no need to rush anything) but you are already doing the first steps and they are really solid so far.

I like every staff member, but getting back to @Ruby G. (and I mentioned this already), she is the perfect example as one can walk the line between being an unequivocally respected staff member while also positioning herself on "the members side" of the community. This makes every single one of "us" stop and read every single thing she has to say (unless it's about Pokémon, because I left kindergarten a few years ago [funny, "judging by some of your posts I would never guess that, Cheetosdust", very funny Ruby, nice joke] :rolleyes::p)

@Amanda W. just know this before it's weekend time: this line of dialogue you are opening, to me it shows the epitome of what "created with our fans" is or should be. Not everyone is willing to help (that's perfectly fine) and not every single idea is something useful (speaking only for myself, obviously), but it truly is the feeling of you being there, on that side, willing to make the community a better place for everyone - including for OnePlus itself.

Thank you once again, have a great weekend, this place will always be here for you in the long run. :cool:

6. L1577039330171
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2019

7. W1572851326558
    Cupcake Dec 28, 2019

lalitmehra likes this.
  8. Y1541095207012
    Cupcake Dec 28, 2019

Y1541095207012 , via OnePlus 6 , Dec 28, 2019 :
    Straight to the point : have you had any discussions about bringing the headphone jack back? How about polycarbonate back instead of fragile glass?

Thanks in advance,
    Adrian

9. W1572851326558
    Cupcake Dec 29, 2019

10. prashantplus
    Cupcake Dec 29, 2019

W1572851326558 likes this.
  11. VincentAbee
    Gingerbread Dec 30, 2019

VincentAbee , via OnePlus 6T , Dec 30, 2019 :
    samples.......

12. pudgedaddy76
    Cupcake Dec 30, 2019

pudgedaddy76 , Dec 30, 2019 :
    Congrats Amanda on being added to the community team! As OnePlus newbie, I love my 7T. I do have some minor gripes (as we all do). One suggestion which I really miss from my Samsung Galaxy days is the ability to organize the app drawer. I'm really OCD and would love to be able to make folders in the app drawer and put apps in them to "de-clutter" the size of the app drawer. I know I can use 3rd party launchers to accomplish this, but I really love the stock launcher you guys have developed.

13. bramgoodwin
    Froyo Dec 31, 2019

bramgoodwin , via OnePlus 6 , Dec 31, 2019 :
    @Amanda W. As Head of Community, assume you have read forums which details extensive bugs in 10.3. Where is your response. NEVER SETTLE??? PLEASE ADDRESS THESE ISSUES. Seems obvious you don't have the software engineering resources to tailor all these variations. Your taking a bad hit on your reputation. Where is your response Amanda?

suraj1595 likes this.
  14. L1573135670426
    Donut Dec 31, 2019

L1573135670426 , Dec 31, 2019 :
    Hello Everyone,

I don't know why there has been an total hold of around more than 2 min while using chrome.below is the screen shot diuring which chromes stopped suddendly while working .
    1577771562426.jpg
    do we have any solution for this one.

Regards
    Ashutosh

15. bramgoodwin
    Froyo Dec 31, 2019

Amanda W. likes this.
  16. V1530339519195
    Cupcake Dec 31, 2019

V1530339519195 , Dec 31, 2019 :
    facing a problem after new version..once the call is disconnected..it takes atleast 5 second to get the screen and also the battery is draining this time

Hemangb2 and L1573135670426 like this.
  17. L1573135670426
    Donut Jan 4, 2020

L1573135670426 , Jan 4, 2020 :
    Hi Amanda,

just for query why don't we have option in gallery for invert selection.

e.g i will click on option sucht that all the photos getting selected at onces and then deselecting few such that rest photos or videos can be deleted .

could we have that feature

Regards
    Ashutosh

18. Hemangb2
    Gingerbread Jan 4, 2020

Hemangb2 , via OnePlus 6T , Jan 4, 2020 :
    true

19. cessil
    Cupcake Jan 5, 2020

cessil , Jan 5, 2020 :
    hello, I have been trying to join the redcable club.. but IAM not able to join.. kindly help me..