AMA – Ask your questions to our HR Department and join us!

1. Lilian L
    Human Resources Staff Member Jan 25, 2021

Lilian L , Jan 25, 2021 :
    微信图片_20210125170436.png

Hi friends,

This is Lilian here, and I will be your host for this AMA with the HR team, alongside my colleague, Belle. We'll be answering your HR-related questions, so now it's your chance to know more about things like our recruitment process or how it's like to work for OnePlus.

As a quick intro, I'm a member of the HR recruiting team in OnePlus HQ. Glad to meet you all here. I’m a big fan of music, movies, and outdoor sports. As for my colleague @Belle L, she is also a member of the HQ Human Resources team of OnePlus. It is great to connect with so many OnePlus fans here.

Come and leave a comment if you want to know more about the company and life at OnePlus. We also welcome the talented members of our Community to explore your career development here.

In the last 7 years, we have been developing and there are more and more people who have joined us to better improve the company. To do that, we have been looking for like-minded talents with design and marketing backgrounds. Take a look at some of the current openings and the respective job descriptions:
    All positions are based in China. Please feel free to leave any questions if you are interested in the job or want to know more about the company. We will answer 20 users!

2. Lilian L
    Human Resources Staff Member Feb 2, 2021

Stickied Post
    Lilian L , Feb 2, 2021 :
    Nope. We definitely value both qualifications and the passion of the candidate. Cultural fit matters a lot during the hiring process. For someone who has zero experience but the potential for growth, we suggest applying for an internship to start their career path.

3. Lilian L

Stickied Post
    Lilian L , Feb 2, 2021 :
    Yeah, we do have! All marketing positions (e.g.designer, PR, product marketing, brand campaign, social media manager, copywriter, user operation), human resources (e.g.hiring manager, strategy analyst); ID and UI designer

4. Lilian L

Stickied Post
    Lilian L , Feb 2, 2021 :
    Up to now, the averae age of OnePlus employees is 30.5! We welcome all candidates with a young heart :)

5. Lilian L

Stickied Post
    Lilian L , Feb 2, 2021 :
    1. long-term incentive; buy OnePlus products at 50% discount after probation; 24-7 free gym; sea-view cafeteria; holiday allowance; commercial insurance; annual leave 11 days for your case; team buildings and fun activities; Sport day every Thursday; sea-view canteen with a cheaper price; holiday leave

2. we provide courses (online & offline), opportunities (e.g. rotation and transfer) to help employees develop a long-term career path.

6. Lilian L

Stickied Post
    Lilian L , Feb 2, 2021 :
    At the very beginning of the pandemic, the company set up a special squad to deal with the situation, including providing tech support so that employees could work from home. The squad also provided free masks, sterilizing items for employees; vaccinees for employees to choose. The company developed an app function so that employees can update their daily health status conveniently through their smartphone.

7. Lilian L

Stickied Post
    Lilian L , Feb 2, 2021 :
    The culture of "never settle" and values of being open, inclusive, equal; how people treat each other (loving and friendly way) and the work spirit (encourage and always help each other for resources and tackle problems)

8. Lilian L

Stickied Post
    Lilian L , Feb 2, 2021 :
    Yes! We provide internship programs for students, including marketing and sales positions (PR, Community operation,user operation, social media,), human resources positions (financing, organization development, organization culture, HR), product positions.

9. Lilian L

Stickied Post
    Lilian L , Feb 2, 2021 :
    Culture is a big part when we hire people. Aside from competencies and skills, we are big on the values. Whether you are open-minded or not? Whether you are user-oriented or not? Whether you prefer to jump out of the box and look for something different or not? Those are the factors that we consider when recruiting.

10. Belle L
    Human Resources Staff Member Feb 3, 2021

Stickied Post
    Belle L , Feb 3, 2021 :
    The attitude and values of a candidate. Culture is a huge factor during the hiring process. OnePlus has its cultural DNA and we hope that all employees share the same value with the company, including a user-driven, open, and never settle mentality.

11. Belle L

Stickied Post
    Belle L , Feb 3, 2021 :
    1. Start your day at the gym;
    2. Have an amazing breakfast at the sea view canteen;
    3. Get work started, sometimes discuss with colleagues at the brainstorm room;
    4. Lunch break at the canteen or nearby cafe;
    5. Nap and rest;
    6. Tea break or meetings;
    7. Thursday Sports Night(basketball, ping-pong, badminton, football, board games) :D:D
    8. (After-work party):p

12. Belle L

Stickied Post
    Belle L , Feb 3, 2021 :
    We usually have three to four rounds for candidates depending on specific openings. Professional interview (to evaluate the competencies and professional skills), Comprehensive interview, HR interview (cultural fit).

13. McJader
    KitKat Jan 25, 2021

McJader , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Thanks for the AMA!!

My question: Do you only look at qualifications and experience while hiring or is passion and eager to learn attitude taken into consideration? For example, would you hire a newbie who has 0 experience but you see potential for growth in the future in that person?

14. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Jan 25, 2021

Cheetosdust , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Love to see OnePlus using the forums to poach new talent. It would be really interesting and cool to see a regular member starting a career with the company. :cool:

My question - and it's valid from @Lilian L and @Belle L - is this: did you ever, during the recruiting/interview phase, had a candidate that gave a terrible first impression and was a really nice surprise after you got to know him/her better?

Good luck to everyone who is going to apply for one of the openings. :)

15. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Jan 25, 2021

Tokolozi , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Good to see the company is growing.

My question would be how much of the recruiting process relies on experience vs education for you.
    In my current company we value Experience a lot, however knowing that the person has the right technical background thanks to education can be priceless in some situations.

16. Nipu_1998
    Jelly Bean Jan 25, 2021

Nipu_1998 , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Thank you @ Lilian L. for the AMA.
    Glad to see the new approach from OnePlus to recruit talented community members to the team.
    My question is regarding the recruitment criteria.
    There are a lot of talented people with passion and ideas who lack the formal working experience in a mainstream company. Are there any plans of recruiting such young minds and giving them an opportunity ?

17. PritishPriyam
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2021

18. Girish.Pranav
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 25, 2021

Girish.Pranav , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Yay this is nice @Lilian L .
    Here's my question to you:
    There are many young enthusiasts out there who definitely love to be a part of OnePlus and work in it (psst including me). So is it possible to for college students to intern at the OnePlus HQ? what does it take for one to be in there?? also please elaborate in a HR point of view...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021

eastbay, anunayC and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  19. Girish.Pranav

Girish.Pranav , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Wrong thread guys, you can find your solution in the OnePlus 8 and Contests section respectively.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2021

20. DarshanMeniya
    Jelly Bean Jan 25, 2021

DarshanMeniya , Jan 25, 2021 :
    My question to @Lilian L : What is the biggest challenge the team has faced in the past year while in a challenging phase what keeps you motivated and what is the key role of company to encourage you more?

21. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Jan 25, 2021

superplus , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Ah, very interesting @Lilian L & @Belle L (no relation?) :D

I have a question...
    I guess this would disqualify many people on the forums? :oops:

derLenno, cdnfarmer, the_o2 and 7 others like this.
  22. Tokolozi

I can speak mandarin
    [​IMG]

Oh wait.... they meant the language.

eastbay, Bouncer71, otto2 and 7 others like this.
  23. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Jan 25, 2021

superplus , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Actually writing it was a cool trick back in the days :cool: the original ninja text ;-p citrus-style

24. DarshanMeniya
    Jelly Bean Jan 25, 2021

My question to @Belle L : Every company has it's own philosophy , which parameters do you measured first or you take on priority basis while recruiting a new employees to OnePlus family?

KaranRIyer and Cheetosdust like this.
  25. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Jan 25, 2021

Cheetosdust , Jan 25, 2021 :
    I didn't know you have to speak a Disney Plus series to apply. It's a little harsh you are disqualified if you don't like Star Wars, but alas, I guess OnePlus is just assuming everyone loves The Mandarin and Baby Yoda. :Do_O

(I know, I know, but hey, at least I didn't make a pun with Boba. Yes, the tea and Fett. :cool::p)

26. ayemei

ayemei , Jan 25, 2021 :
    How is OnePlus's pet hiring process like? How did Una become the mascot? *Asking for a friend. 😂😂

eastbay, Starcommander, SRD. and 8 others like this.
  27. Tokolozi

We could always try and ask her ourselves. @Una

Edit, poor Una's account has been spammed.

the_o2, SRD., puccellino and 6 others like this.
  28. Abhishek654

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  29. DarshanMeniya
    Jelly Bean Jan 25, 2021

My question to @Belle L and @Lillian L : I am really looking forward for doing a job in OnePlus comany, Is there any job opportunities for active community members?

Agasya likes this.
  30. Luigi Martire
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2021

Luigi Martire , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Ho there, very nice initiative! My question is quite simple, due to this specific historical period and the multinational pointing of the company: in your future will you adopt some figures in full remote working?

31. Manish1625
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2021

Agasya likes this.