[AMA] Creative Food Photography: Ask Me Anything with Hasselblad Master - Marcin Giżycki

1. marcin_gizycki
    Donut Jul 16, 2021

marcin_gizycki , Jul 16, 2021 :
    AMAbannermarcin 2.png

Hi Community,

It has been an incredible feeling seeing my work and workshop being posted, but what really makes it all worth it is the loving comments from you guys. From the reaction to my workshop to the delightful shots of different cuisine in the SOOP contest, your interactions with me have made your talent and enthusiasm for photography clear.

As with previous workshops, I'm hosting this AMA for anyone who might have questions regarding the workshop, contest, or just on how to take better photos in general. Please don't hesitate, and get those entries in the comment section. I will select and answer 15 questions from you guys.

You can submit your question until July 23, 5 PM HKT. And I will start answering the questions from then.

Rules:
    • Each user is only allowed to ask one question.
    • We will give away 15 OnePlus Logo stickers to the lucky users who have their questions answered, and also an exclusive preview of the next community workshop episode.
    • Before you type in your question, please do check the thread if anyone has already asked the question you want to ask.
    • Remember to tag me in your question so I get notified.
    • Considering your questions may have already been asked by other Community friends, we recommend you to give those questions likes instead of creating a duplicated one.
    • Standard terms and conditions apply.

2. brmbjn
    Gingerbread Jul 16, 2021

3. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 16, 2021

Starcommander , Jul 16, 2021 :
    Hey @marcin_gizycki
    My question is, while taking a shot in artificial lighting, how should one position the lights?

In other words, what should be the position of shadows so that image looks the best

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021

4. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jul 16, 2021

MosheG1 , Jul 16, 2021 :
    @marcin_gizycki while lighting is super important in all shots, perspective or certain angles can completely change your shot. A example that comes to mind is a picture of coffee in a jar shot with a probe lense from inside the jar, it gave a very unique perspective to the shot that is unique and memorable.
    1626440254893.jpg
    (shot by Peter McKinnon)
    so my question to you is, do you have any advice in certain angles or perspectives to try out in photography and/or what are your favorite perspectives to play with when shooting?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021

superplus, SRD., Bouncer71 and 6 others like this.
  5. Dhruv Kashyap
    Jelly Bean Jul 16, 2021

Dhruv Kashyap , via OnePlus 8T , Jul 16, 2021 :
    Hi there @marcin_gizycki, I would like to know how to maintain the perfect balance between saturation levels which keeping the image near to life-like colors? Basically, How could one judge the best saturation levels for any image scenario?

6. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jul 16, 2021

Dresa91 , Jul 16, 2021 :
    Hey @marcin_gizycki :) thanks for the AMA:)
    I own the OnePlus 9 Pro since yesterday.
    I am now trying to engage myself more to mobile photography.
    My goals are first of all nature pictures and pictures of my dog Enya.
    In comparison, objects in nature (landscape, trees, flowers) are easier because they do not move.
    My question now:
    Do you have experience in animal/pet photography?
    what do i have to keep an eye on?
    How can I set the scene for my dog properly?
    Do you have tips for photos from the movement of the dog?

Thanks and cheers:)

7. Bittoo06
    Jelly Bean Jul 16, 2021

Bittoo06 , Jul 16, 2021 :
    Heya! My question is we usually hangout with friends a lot. Gathering and eating food is quite a common thing. We every time want to capture 'quick' and perfect. Sometimes the place is congested or has low light ambiance.

What are your tips/angles to capture quick and professional photos in such conditions?

8. nerdkabir
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 16, 2021

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021

Bouncer71, RacerZ, KaranRIyer and 2 others like this.
  9. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jul 16, 2021

Nipu_1998 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 16, 2021 :
    Hi,
    @marcin_gizycki thank you for the awesome workshop and the AMA session.
    My question is while setting up the frame and taking a food photography shot, which method is more preferable ? Flling the whole frame with the subject (food) and props or addition of some negative space in the frame?

10. SRD.
    Lollipop Jul 16, 2021

SRD. , Jul 16, 2021 :
    Hi, @marcin_gizycki ,
    Your workshop was awesome.
    My question for the AMA is

Where did you get motivation of food photography ?
    Food photography as a full time career, what are the challenges one have to go through ?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021

11. DarshanMeniya
    Jelly Bean Jul 16, 2021

Bouncer71, RacerZ, pkg3107 and 3 others like this.
  12. M1trey
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2021

13. pkg3107
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 16, 2021

pkg3107 , via OnePlus Nord , Jul 16, 2021 :
    Hey there @marcin_gizycki , most of us tend to click photos of food while sitting in a restaurant.
    So, it becomes difficult to find the perfect angle or complimentary things that can add more life to the pic, like you used the leaves in the Berry pic.

So my Q is :.

Could you suggest how to find the most suitable things that can accompany a photograph, preferably in a restaurant seating environment? Or probably some tips about utilising the decoration of the seating?

Bouncer71, RacerZ and Dresa91 like this.
  14. Aditya_4
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jul 16, 2021

Bouncer71 likes this.
  15. E1623386428261
    Cupcake Jul 17, 2021

16. RacerZ
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2021

RacerZ , Jul 17, 2021 :
    Hello @marcin_gizycki,

Thank you for the excellent workshop. Do you have any useful tips for deciding when to use flat lay vs eye-level vs 45 degree angle when shooting food?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021

Daniel D., Bouncer71 and McJader like this.
  17. RkDia
    Eclair Jul 17, 2021