[AMA] Creative Food Photography: Ask Me Anything with Hasselblad Master - Marcin Giżycki

1. Daniel D.
    Community Team Staff Member Aug 9, 2021

Stickied Post
    Daniel D. , Aug 9, 2021 :
    Hello guys,
    I am posting on behalf of @marcin_gizycki

Uffff. Thought one! :D

You have to love to eat - sorry but that is a must-have factor!
    Kitchen with a lot of unnecessary things, accessories, antiques - they are ale great props and creative options for you!
    Great, still-life photographers like Jonathan Knowles, Maciek Miloch, Jenny Van Sommers (and others - look for inspiration!
    Flemish & Dutch still life paintings
    Fruitassembly <- look for this profile on Instagram, I love to watch it

atenaa, pkg3107, SRD. and 3 others like this.
  2. Daniel D.

Stickied Post
    Hello guys,

If you want to avoid light reflections on your object, the best way to achieve that is to diffuse light. I don’t see the connection between light reflections and vibrant colors. The more light you have in the scenery - the more vibrant colors will be. If you want coolers to be vibrant you don’t want your light to be “flat”, use a couple of lights sources and place them at an angle so the subject will look more 3D than flat. More glossy is the structure of the subject - the more reflections you will have. In daily life without additional accessories, it will be hard to eliminate all of the blinks. You can use a black sheet of paper to take some of the light from the scenery (you have to find the proper angle) - black color absorbs the light. But first of all, you can diffuse your light with some light semi-transparent material.

atenaa, pkg3107, nerdkabir and 3 others like this.
  3. Daniel D.

Stickied Post
    Hello guys,

There is this beautiful issue with any kind of photography that you cannot reproduce the colors one-to-one as the human eye sees them, even with the most professional anal or digital cameras. there will always be a variable, some aberration, either due to the equipment or the operator's (photographers) error.

Yes, cameras such as Hasselblad are the closest to reality and the difference will not be detectable for an ordinary person, but it all depends on many factors that change the nature of the image (lighting conditions, time of day, type of lamp used, correct image exposure, and many more).

Sometimes a different color reproduction is an artistic procedure, an intended effect.

On the other hand, the effect that was obtained with the OnePlus Hasselblad Natural Color Science is very close to the way in which natural colors should be presented in photography. It is extremely interesting for me that this effect is very close to analog photography obtained on a specific film, which from my point of view is very satisfactory.

atenaa, BebeWang!, Bobbie63 and 4 others like this.
  4. Daniel D.

Stickied Post
    Hello guys,

I recommend Hasselblad for every photographer because every photographer should try Hasselblad in their career - those are outstanding cameras with great heritage and high usability. But those are not cameras for pure beginners. If you have some experience you definitely have to try Hass 500C/M - this camera is like a religious relict. Pure joy. If you want an entry-level (and you have the budget) camera to medium format world you should go for X1D II (which I’m using on a daily basis). It’s lightweight, has great ergonomics, beautiful design, outstanding build and image quality, and color science like anything else on the market. It is a really simple and intuitive camera that will bring you a lot of fun (and images of the highest level of quality). But if you are a beginner, you should start with full-frame cameras and jump to medium format after gaining some experience. But that is only my opinion.

atenaa, pkg3107, Gabe_M and 3 others like this.
  5. nerdkabir
    The Lab² - Oclean X Pro Elite Reviewer Aug 9, 2021

nerdkabir , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 9, 2021 :
    Thank you so much for those valuable pointers. I'm right away going into research mode. Thank you and have a fantastic year Marcin :).

Thank you @Daniel D.

atenaa and Dresa91 like this.
  6. Daniel D.

Stickied Post
    Hello guys,

Ok, we can have a couple of different approaches to this issue: If you use one source of light, try rearranging the objects - bigger further from the light, small closer, so they don’t “cannibalize” each other with the shadow you can use more than one source of light, try casting additional light from opposite angel and diffuse that light - it will pop up the shadows (minimize them and decrease their contrast)There also can be a problem with the angel of the main source of light - try to play with the angel, the higher the light, the shorter the shadow; the farther the light is, the softer the shadow will be. If you have only one source of light you can use some professional light reflector or cardboard with aluminum foil on it (or stiff white cardboard - light will be softer) to reflect the light (position opposite to the source of the light) - it will bring up the shadows. Hope it helps you!

7. Daniel D.

Stickied Post
    Hello guys,

There were some in the article but I’ll try to explore it more. The first time you try to use PRO mode may seem complicated. From the point of view of an amateur and an enthusiast, it seems to me that the most important thing is to manually set two parameters - ISO (i.e.photosensitivity level) and shutter speed (i.e. exposure time). These two parameters seem to be the most important for product photography taken with the phone. The shutter speed is nothing more than the exposure time, i.e. the time during which the photo is exposed. A longer time lets in more light (so the photo is brighter), but it can blur the photo (it will be blurry) - especially when shooting handheld. Shorter shooting time will freeze the image, but let less light into the frame. ISO tells us how much light is needed to properly expose the frame. A higher ISO value will allow us to shoot with less light, but the side effect will be a more grainy image. It is a natural process in photography and, in many cases, an indicated effect that adds character. In the case of our photos, I decided to photograph as many scenes as possible at the lowest ISO value - 100. We have a lot of light (sun), so it is enough for proper exposure. And the result is a photo with perfect clarity, without any distortions and high imagesharpness. It is highly desirable in product photography - we want our products to look stunning! I focused the image automatically, with a simple tap of a finger in the area of the image I was interested in (after holding the finger for a long time, this setting is remembered, which in many cases is very useful). Of course, the PRO mode allows us to manually focus. Engineers from OnePlus and Hasselblad perfectly approached the subject - they translated the way it is done with professional cameras. When we move the focus slider, we see a focus peaking “zebra" on the screen (color marks the edges of the objects where our point of focus will be). Thanks to this, we can see on the screen exactly what will be in focus in the final photo. This is super useful, especially when we mount the phone on a tripod or gimbal (if we have such devices), and in cases where we want a bit more control over the final effect, it will allow us to obtain a satisfactory level.

atenaa, iTarifP6, pkg3107 and 3 others like this.
  8. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Aug 9, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Aug 9, 2021 :
    Looks like you're becoming like @Leo X. hehe :rolleyes:(if you know what I mean ;), if you don't, ask @puccellino)
    Those are some awesome tips! Really helpful....thanks @marcin_gizycki! :)

atenaa, Dresa91, pkg3107 and 2 others like this.
  9. Gabe_M
    Honeycomb Aug 9, 2021

Gabe_M , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Aug 9, 2021 :
    Thank you @Daniel D. The X1D is the one I'm considering!

atenaa, pkg3107 and Dresa91 like this.
  10. DarshanMeniya
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Aug 9, 2021

DarshanMeniya , via OnePlus 9 Pro co-developed with Hasselblad , Aug 9, 2021 :
    Thank you to @marcin_gizycki for giving us helpful tips and thank you to @Daniel D. for posting question's answer on behalf of @marcin_gizycki.

11. pkg3107
    Jelly Bean Aug 9, 2021

pkg3107 , Aug 9, 2021 :
    Thanks for the tips 😀 @marcin_gizycki
    Should be planning a trip to a fancy dishes serving restaurant maybe to try this out 😅✨

12. Ankit Bhaurah
    Honeycomb Aug 9, 2021

Ankit Bhaurah , Aug 9, 2021 :
    Thank You @Daniel D. and @marcin_gizycki for clearing my thought on how to start for a better photography. Your Detailed Explanation definitely gonna help me.

13. psygarden
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Aug 9, 2021

psygarden , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Aug 9, 2021 :
    Thanks a lot and I'll surely put your expert advice into work soon.! Cheers.

14. Bobbie63
    Nougat Aug 12, 2021

Bobbie63 , Aug 12, 2021 :
    upload_2021-8-12_16-28-27.jpeg
    I hope you meant analog camera?:rolleyes:

nerdkabir, atenaa, Dresa91 and 2 others like this.
  15. BebeWang!
    Eclair Aug 12, 2021

BebeWang! , via OnePlus 9R , Aug 12, 2021 :
    Thank you so much sir for your valuable information & knowledge! Am very that glad I am apart of OnePlus family & also looking forward to how the OnePlus Hasselblad science would do in years to come with their photography! Never settle!!!🎉🙏🏻

atenaa likes this.
  16. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Aug 12, 2021

nerdkabir, atenaa, Dresa91 and 2 others like this.
  17. McJader
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Aug 12, 2021

18. atenaa
    Lollipop Aug 12, 2021

atenaa , Aug 12, 2021 :
    Thank you @Daniel D. for delivering the message. ;)
    @marcin_gizycki thank you for your insight about macro lens. 👍It will be precious for my future photos.:cool:📷

Bobbie63 and Dresa91 like this.
  19. atenaa
    Lollipop Aug 12, 2021

nerdkabir, Bobbie63 and Dresa91 like this.
  20. Bobbie63
    Nougat Aug 13, 2021