[AMA] Join our Bitmoji AOD - Ask Me Anything

1. Jade D.
    Community Intern Staff Member Jul 30, 2021

Jade D. , Jul 30, 2021 :
    banner.jpg

Hey community,

This is Jade bringing you my last thread, a new episode of AMA! This time let's discuss the Bitmoji AOD, a new customization feature. Now 9, 9 Pro, and 9R users can choose to use the function: create your own avatar and thus display a digital you "living" on the screen. We're glad to hear your feedback and suggestions, for instance, problems you meet and scenarios you want to see. As many of you already know, in our AMAs we invite the staff from the relevant product team to answer all your questions about a topic, and this time it's about the Bitmoji AOD.

Now welcome our guests to this Bitmoji AOD AMA.

@Zach L. OnePlus Product Designer who led the design and user experience of the feature.
    @Sam T. OnePlus Product Manager, responsible for research, idea, early concept work and general product management.
    @Darren F. OnePlus Product Manager, who managed the implementation into the wider system UI and deployment.

You can submit your question until August 13, 5 pm HKT. Our guests will start to answer your questions as soon as possible from August 5.

Rules:
    • Each user is only allowed to ask one question.
    • We will give away 10 Never Settle Notebook Sets to the lucky users who have their questions answered.
    • Remember to tag the staff you want to ask in your question so they get notification.
    • Considering your questions may have already been asked by other Community friends, please do check the thread if anyone has already asked the question you want to ask. We recommend you give those questions likes instead of creating a duplicated one.
    • Standard terms and conditions apply.

2. Sam T.
    Senior Product Manager Staff Member Aug 5, 2021

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hey Dude, good question! So we actually made contact with Snap due to their advancements in camera technology and AR/MR work, we felt it was really forward thinking. We got talking to the Bitmoji team and actually, this was around the same time my team we're focused on the future of privacy. In that research, we found a high number of users engaged with digital avatars...

People want to hide their identity but don't want to lose their personalities. Alongside this, we have lots of research into what we call 'hyper personalisation' which simply means making your device feel 100% yours and very individual. So with this research in place we started to generate a number of ideas using a method called Crazy 8s and finally connected with the Bitmoji AOD.

3. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    You're exactly right. We developed an algorithm that tracks what's happening around you and what you're doing on your phone (all computed locally so it doesn't share data outside of your device!). With this data we have >20 different scenarios which your AOD will display.

For instance, right now it's a morning, weekday, sunny/cloudy outside, i'm listening to music, haven't done many steps. So all these scenarios are 'triggered' right now. Every 5 mins my AOD will switch to show a Bitmoji with mirrors what I'm doing in my day. Like right now you can see my Bitmoji is perfectly mirroring what i'm doing!

upload_2021-8-5_11-8-20.png

Attached Files:

4. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    So this feature is probably more appealing to a younger demographic (Snaps audience is something like 50% <24) so this is the target. It's already big in Europe and NA with strong growth in India. OnePlus owners are not too different that this with the average age skewing younger so I think it should have a relatively broad appeal.

However, it's just an AOD and you do need to install a 3rd party app which might put some people off. For us, it's just a great fun feature to make your device feel more personal and playful built with a fun partner.

No need to convince you but I think you'll find it pretty cool. I think you'll find it pretty fun to see how it tracks your daily life and shows Bitmojis which totally match what you're doing!

5. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Of course! We have had loads of ideas, maybe some are still in development 😉

What would you like to see? I'm forbidden to speak about potential future features 😑

nerdkabir, McJader, GandeDeSa and 2 others like this.
  6. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hey SRD, Thanks we really appreciate it. Sometimes it's hard to find the positive comments around here but it makes it all the sweeter when you do! 😂

Right now the AOD is a balance between battery and creating cool features. There is huge potential but with background processing and having 5% of the screen pixels turned on it's hard. Right now there are starting to be a few dedicated chips for animated content that run super efficiently which opens up the possibility for animated AODs in the future. So I can't speak about any future features but Bitmoji do have some awesome animated and 3D content 😏

However, something else to consider is how distracting it might be for a user?

Boki95, nerdkabir, McJader and 4 others like this.
  7. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    A picture Bitmoji speaks a thousand words

nerdkabir, TibiTibi and Dresa91 like this.
  8. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    That would be super cool to detect if you're with a friend and it show your friendmoji! I'll do some research 😉

yanndian, McJader, TibiTibi and 2 others like this.
  9. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    @Aditya_4 also

Personally, I think we could roll out quite a few deeper level integrations into the OS. However, it would need to be based on an API rather than native within the OS (or people would call it bloat)

We're good friends with the team at Snap/Bitmoji now and so I cant wait to work on some future features (if this one lands well)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021

10. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Or maybe it's easier to find the person to give it back to? 🤔 I think you need to chill but stay frosty out there 😆

11. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    For sure! We didn't work on this for a year to just show Bitmojis on your AOD like some other OEMs do 😉

We developed an incredible algorithm which takes into account what's happening around you and what you're doing on your phone to show you Bitmojis which mirror your day to day life. (This is all calculated locally and doesn't leave the device for security!)

There are loads of different scenarios you'll see on the AOD. For instance, start playing music and look at your AOD. Or start a game or watching a video and see it change. It's also taking into account: Time, weather, steps, calls, messages, and loads more! Let me know if you start to see the magic working...

DarshanMeniya, S_K_J and Dresa91 like this.
  12. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    It was shown in the 8T launch event as 'coming soon' however, I think we've maybe exceeded the soon part!

Honestly, we just have to apologize that it was so late, the SW division has been through so much recently and with limited resources, less vital features like this one suffer. We also wanted to hone the algorithm and test it out to make sure the feature delivered to its high expectations. So in summary we got too excited and showed a feature we were really pumped about too soon, we should have kept it under wraps :(

13. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Yes the OnePlus 2 has a headphone jack. I owned it back in 2015 and it was a beast!

nerdkabir, McJader, TibiTibi and 2 others like this.
  14. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    We've worked so hard on the Parsons AOD, Bitmoji AOD with all the others and you want more! 😅😅😅

We partnered with Bitmoji as their tech is really quite impressive. Those other (bigger) OEMs have their own teams to work on this stuff but the SW division is already very stretched... But never say never ;)

15. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Thanks! It's always important to appeal across gender, ethnicity, age, and lifestyles! We don't want to leave anyone out <3

nerdkabir, WakeAwake and Dresa91 like this.
  16. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Pretty soon we'll be able to create a 3D hologram of the AOD which will actually be able to go and do your shopping, go do your job, and other small tasks for you... Tech is crazy yo.

Unfortunately, we're not allowed to talk about future features 😉 What do you want to see included with V2 and it might help us!

17. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    We've developed an algorithm that tracks what you're doing and what's going on around you. (all locally so don't worry about privacy!)

Try listening to music, watching YouTube or gaming and see what happens on the AOD! There are >20 different scenarios we're tracking, let me know if you can work them all out! 🤟🏼

18. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    I worked on it for around 1 year (not exclusively) so you better hope I know what I'm talking about 😂

19. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hello, 3 questions... Relly pushing your luck here! 😏

1. Yes it will cause additional battery drain (we calculate around 5% more daily when compared with no AOD - your mileage may vary) However, I think it's worth it to have such a fun AOD. Also it will update the bitmoji when you're <15% and charging.
    2. There are some really cool future applications for Bitmoji integrations, it's cool to see that so many people are interested in it.
    3. More details including which devices are here.

20. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    From the early data, we're seeing this is going to be a very high-use feature compared with any of our other AODs or even wider features in the OS. Remember that our target audience is larger than n1 and larger than the community.

I do understand your frustration with features requested in BETA which might not roll out to users. Ultimately as a SW division, we want to make products and features which users love but it is often a little harder than implementing things straight away.

21. Zach L.
    Sr. Product Designer Staff Member Aug 5, 2021

Stickied Post
    Zach L. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hi JayBl8de,

Thanks for bringing this up, we do notice the need and the voice from you.
    I agree this need makes sense.
    What I can do at the moment is to share some thoughts with you.

We know the facts about AMOLED is:
    - The more pixels the display lights, the high power consumption it is.
    - It still involves CPU to show what to display and as so animating image consumes high power.

The old LED notification model is using small "blinking" LED to catch users' attention, a small static dot may not work as good as the old model on catching the attention and no good on the information it provides.

Making the dot larger, it's ugly and still may not work good enough.
    And as so, why not show notification icons at least it's more informative. (if privacy is not the concern)

To monitor the notification, the CPU needs to wake up periodically.
    If power consumption is the only concern, you may be surprised how little the difference between:
    - CPU in a period to show a small dot
    - CPU in a period to show time + date + notification icons

A better experience may involve a new sensor or sensor architecture.
    To think about other features that can leverage the new sensor or sensor architecture can be a way to make it happen.

I guess these sharings may not make you satisfied.
    And yes, we are responsible to figure out the solution.
    Just trying to share and let you know we are not ignoring it.

Thanks,
    Zach

22. Zach L.

Stickied Post
    Zach L. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hi Yash Pratap Singh,

We do invest resources in trying to bring the AOD to 7/7T.
    As there are hardware differences, the power consumption is way larger than AOD on those devices we have enabled.
    Power consumption is very important, that's why we didn't bring the AOD on 7/7T yet.

Thanks,
    Zach

23. Zach L.

Stickied Post
    Zach L. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hi Ankit Bhaurah,

You may know the Bitmoji AOD will update according to the scenes you/environment matched.
    There are some more scenes we have planned to be enabled.
    I am interested to know why you may want to hear the voice from the Bitmojis, welcome to share with us your brilliant ideas.

Thanks,
    Zach

Sam T., nerdkabir, Erin C. and 4 others like this.
  24. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hi Torben, good to see it's appealing to everyone! I'm too old for the target demographics as well but I really appreciate it when it pops up with something which really fits my scenario (and know that the hard work on the algorithm has paid off 😂)

In simple terms, it works by triggers on each scenario which are based on an IF function. IF battery = charging: Show charing Bitmoji. IF weather = sun for >4h: Show sun. Obviously, there are many overlapping scenarios so we have a hierarchy working in the background: Music beats steps which beats weather which beats time. However, with it changing every 5 mins often you can fit them all in on a cycle. Obviously, it's a lot more complex than this so we can't let users making their own scenarios and triggers just yet as it would be carnage but it is something to think about for the future.

As for the screen property, it's just a balance of how many pixels we need to turn on for it to look good Vs the battery consumption. So again, hard to put in the users hands 😂

Glad you like it though and looking forward to releasing many more fun features!

25. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Think of the CPU and GPU cores or modules as a series of car engines. At the top end, we have our super-powerful Ferrari engine to handle intensive gaming or the boot process. At the lower end, we have the Toyota Prius which is super efficient for constantly counting steps or running background processes.

For old hardware like the 7 series, we can't just install a new engine for something like an AOD which we didn't know was coming. So we might need to use an engine which isn't the right one or fit for purpose. If we run the AOD on the Ferrari engine then the battery will be dead in no time.

This is super simplified but I hope it helps you understand some of the limitations 👍🏼 Zach, Darren and I are super happy to help answer questions, we're just pleased to be able to share our work (and the work of the wider team as we are just a small part of this feature)

26. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    To be honest I have no idea but it might be that by luck the 6 has an engine that suits and the 7 doesn't? 🤔Sorry, we're super separated from the HW team and so hard to give a solid answer...

nerdkabir, Erin C., Dresa91 and 3 others like this.
  27. Jade D.
    Community Intern Staff Member Aug 6, 2021

Stickied Post
    Jade D. , Aug 6, 2021 :
    Hey Community, we'd like to change the rules of the prizes. The first 25 questions getting answered chronologically will be given prizes. And for users whose comments are answered out of the first 25 (getting answered after the 25 according to time order), 5 of them will be selected randomly to give out prize.

Also, I'm leaving OnePlus to continue my study. I was very happy during my internship because the Community and the staff are all very kind to me. I will always miss my days in OnePlus. It's really nice to meet you all! Wish you all the best in the future and good luck! If you have any further questions related to this activity please reach out to @Erin C. for help.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021

SRD., Sam T., GandeDeSa and 13 others like this.
  28. Sam T.
    Senior Product Manager Staff Member Aug 9, 2021

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 9, 2021 :
    It will update almost immediately. Although you will need to re-download the packs for the AOD which you can do on mobile data, however, you might want to wait for WiFi (which is an option).

nerdkabir and Dresa91 like this.
  29. Darren F.
    OnePlus Product Manager Staff Member Aug 11, 2021

Stickied Post
    Darren F. , Aug 11, 2021 :
    Yes, it's coming to 8/8pro/8T series right away! You'll see in next 8/8pro/8T update!

For catching the spirit, "Mirror Me", we have cooperated with Snap/Bitmoji team and tested several mechanisms to make the expression more flexible and surprising.

Hope you'll like the feature, and give us feedbacks that scenarios you prefer to add on.

N1611331749210 and Dresa91 like this.
  30. Darren F.
    OnePlus Product Manager Staff Member Aug 11, 2021

Stickied Post
    Darren F. , Aug 11, 2021 :
    Yes, it will come to OP7. The difference is the function is integrated with raising and display, but not AOD, because of the display limitation.

Leninmadavi125 and Dresa91 like this.
  31. Zach L.
    Sr. Product Designer Staff Member Aug 11, 2021

Stickied Post
    Zach L. , Aug 11, 2021 :
    Hi AlienEye,

Great question!
    What we play with the Bitmoji AOD concept is to have someone that looks like you act like you - it can be fun to see a digital you coincidentally performing what’s in your mind 😉
    To make this happen, there are basically two kinds of data we are using, i.e. environmental data and user activity data.

Environmental data is referring to the data like time, weather…, not personal data.
    And we present scenarios that a lot of people will most likely feel in certain circumstances.
    Did you find your Bitmoji may lay down to relax in the afternoon?
    You may be about to leave from the work/study or you just wish as so at the time, we are predicting, just creating the possibility for coincidences of connecting.

The same logic will be on the user activity data, but we do it more carefully.
    The algorithm runs on your device locally, and we only react to the sort of activity that's of less privacy concern.
    When you listen to music, your avatar may listen to music too.
    When you take photos, we don’t analyze the picture you take, just make the avatar more likely to take photos.

I was so busy yesterday.
    When I took a break in between things, I saw my avatar was so busy and sweating, that made me laugh.
    Hope you find some fun coincidental connection too.

Thanks, Zach

32. Zach L.
    Sr. Product Designer Staff Member Aug 11, 2021

Stickied Post
    Zach L. , Aug 11, 2021 :
    Hi nerdkabir,

Yes, there should be a balance between exploration and the foundation.
    How will you estimate my time spent on the exploration versus foundation?
    My proportion of time spent on creating something new is never higher than 20%, while 80% is the foundation.
    On a new device, even if we don’t change anything, there will always be thousands of issues to be fixed for the foundation.
    Some are because of the new hardware, some might be related to the new Android platform, some even related to the changes of popular apps.
    100 issues are there because thousands of issues have been fixed.

A new feature will be done but issue-fixing will never be done.
    That's why you can always see new features while old issues are still there.
    Fixing issues sometimes means trade-offs, the change can be good to some users but also brings something bad to other users.
    For some, we found a good balance while some others we didn't.

Will our loyal users be happy to see OnePlus stop exploring?
    Is our balance good?
    There are many tough questions in our minds.
    But I want to thank you for staying with us in the fight!

Thanks, Zach

TibiTibi, nerdkabir and Dresa91 like this.
  33. JayBl8de
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 3, 2021

JayBl8de , Aug 3, 2021 :
    When will Oneplus start to do things that actually many users would use (a simple notification LED based on AOD and configurable)? @Zach L.

It has been requested for years by many users incl. beta that we get AOD based on something like a regular Notification LED. Just something that looks like a LED and can be set up for different Apps (e.g. green for whatsapp, red for calls, blue for facebook + some configuration about how often they flash and with what frequency)....Keep in mind that AOD is always about battery consumption and AMOLED screens are perfect for notification LEDs.

Its annoying to see how Oneplus comes up with some strange ideas like this while they do not offer something that actually a lot of poeple would use....

But who am I? Just a Product Owner, Product Manager and Test Manager in a 400Mio EUR IT project with 17 years of professional experience in Product Development and China Sourcing

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021

34. Tobikage
    Nougat Aug 3, 2021

Tobikage , Aug 3, 2021 :
    Why doesn't OnePlus spend their resources on things that need to be fixed and things that matter to the end user (excluding your pubg player crowd and teenage girl crowd) ?

35. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Aug 3, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Aug 3, 2021 :
    @Zach L. Shouldn't R&D focus on bringing AOD to devices which haven't reached EOL like the 7/7T series instead of giving new features to existing AOD compatible devices?

37. Balaji2828
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 3, 2021

Balaji2828 , Aug 3, 2021 :
    @Sam T.When nord will get bitmoji AOD😁This is my question and I will bet, you can't answer my Question😉

38. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Aug 3, 2021

39. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Aug 3, 2021

Dresa91 , Aug 3, 2021 :
    @Sam T.:
    How did you or your team come up with the whole Bitmoji thing? I mean how did you come up with the idea that it should then be implemented as AOD? :)

40. nerdkabir
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2021

41. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 3, 2021

AlienEye , via OnePlus 8T , Aug 3, 2021 :
    How does the Bitmoji AOD generally works? i.e, does it change with respect to timing of the day or does it monitor actions performed by users or does it have pre-recorded action scheme for Bitmoji AOD?
    if it monitor actions, how does it monitor?

42. nerdkabir
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2021

nerdkabir , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 3, 2021 :
    So my question is to @Zach L.

As you are leading the User Interface Experience, how much you believe, that OnePlus needs to keep coming up with new features like "Bitmoji AOD", "AOD", to keep the excitement going. Because there are a million if not millions, Loyal fans/OnePlus users, who still haven't yet received AOD feature or are facing so many bug issues in their devices, specially after the recent Oxygen OS Update.

How do you divide your attention/planning for these two areas of USER EXPERIENCE of OnePlus users. Old Feature which is still not available for last gen phones, and new features already available for the current ones. (Except the Nord 2).

43. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Aug 3, 2021

TibiTibi , Aug 3, 2021 :
    How big is the planned target user group and what strategy or plan you have to convince masses (or me) for long term usage of Bitmoji AOD / AOD.

@Zach L. + @Sam T. + @Darren F.

Note:
    On the 8T I have used the current AOD for max. 7 days because of the way how it works or is implemented, i.e. it does not fulfill my expectations for a practical / useful AOD.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021

44. Moka69
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Aug 3, 2021

Moka69 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 3, 2021 :
    @Zach L. I have a question for you

It looks like the emojis take shape dynamically according the scenario like weather, activity. However it is a native feature of Bitmoji app too.

So, Have you made any improvements or customisation to that Dynamic changing feature?

Thanks in advance

45. Last edited: Aug 3, 2021

46. GandeDeSa
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2021

GandeDeSa , Aug 3, 2021 :
    @Sam T. Did you originally have any other ideas raised for this partnership between OnePlus and Bitmoji?

Will we see in the future any other implementation in the system with Bitmoji?

Sam T. likes this.
  47. Elgande
    Donut Aug 3, 2021

northbay5566 and Sam T. like this.
  48. SRD.
    Lollipop Aug 3, 2021

SRD. , Aug 3, 2021 :
    @Sam T. You guys are doing a great job in terms of new developments.
    My question for this AMA is -

Can we expect animated AODs( emoji based) in near future?
    Bitmoji AODs are good, a little animation can make it even better imo. Any thoughts on that ?

49. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Aug 3, 2021

50. yanndian
    Donut Aug 3, 2021

Sam T. likes this.
  51. johneebee
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 3, 2021

johneebee , Aug 3, 2021 :
    @Sam T. and @Darren F. Any plans to integrate the Bitmoji to interact with other apps like the calandar app or telephone app? For example making a bitmoji appear who's eating in a restaurant with a friend when you have dinner plans with that friend registered in your calandar, or a bitmoji of your friend holding a phone when calling you.