Dresa91 , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Ah nice:)
    Thank you 🙏🏼:)

northbay5566 and WakeAwake like this.
  2. Sam T.
    Senior Product Manager Staff Member Aug 5, 2021

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    You're exactly right. We developed an algorithm that tracks what's happening around you and what you're doing on your phone (all computed locally so it doesn't share data outside of your device!). With this data we have >20 different scenarios which your AOD will display.

For instance, right now it's a morning, weekday, sunny/cloudy outside, i'm listening to music, haven't done many steps. So all these scenarios are 'triggered' right now. Every 5 mins my AOD will switch to show a Bitmoji with mirrors what I'm doing in my day. Like right now you can see my Bitmoji is perfectly mirroring what i'm doing!

upload_2021-8-5_11-8-20.png

Attached Files:

3. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    So this feature is probably more appealing to a younger demographic (Snaps audience is something like 50% <24) so this is the target. It's already big in Europe and NA with strong growth in India. OnePlus owners are not too different that this with the average age skewing younger so I think it should have a relatively broad appeal.

However, it's just an AOD and you do need to install a 3rd party app which might put some people off. For us, it's just a great fun feature to make your device feel more personal and playful built with a fun partner.

No need to convince you but I think you'll find it pretty cool. I think you'll find it pretty fun to see how it tracks your daily life and shows Bitmojis which totally match what you're doing!

4. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Of course! We have had loads of ideas, maybe some are still in development 😉

What would you like to see? I'm forbidden to speak about potential future features 😑

nerdkabir, McJader, GandeDeSa and 2 others like this.
  5. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Aug 5, 2021

TibiTibi , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Thank you Sam for the answer and insight.

I'm using the Bitmoji app and bitmojis for years, mostly to express something easier or funnier to with a drawing than with words.

SRD. and Dresa91 like this.
  6. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hey SRD, Thanks we really appreciate it. Sometimes it's hard to find the positive comments around here but it makes it all the sweeter when you do! 😂

Right now the AOD is a balance between battery and creating cool features. There is huge potential but with background processing and having 5% of the screen pixels turned on it's hard. Right now there are starting to be a few dedicated chips for animated content that run super efficiently which opens up the possibility for animated AODs in the future. So I can't speak about any future features but Bitmoji do have some awesome animated and 3D content 😏

However, something else to consider is how distracting it might be for a user?

Boki95, nerdkabir, McJader and 4 others like this.
  7. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    A picture Bitmoji speaks a thousand words

nerdkabir, TibiTibi and Dresa91 like this.
  8. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    That would be super cool to detect if you're with a friend and it show your friendmoji! I'll do some research 😉

yanndian, McJader, TibiTibi and 2 others like this.
  9. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    @Aditya_4 also

Personally, I think we could roll out quite a few deeper level integrations into the OS. However, it would need to be based on an API rather than native within the OS (or people would call it bloat)

We're good friends with the team at Snap/Bitmoji now and so I cant wait to work on some future features (if this one lands well)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021

10. SRD.
    Lollipop Aug 5, 2021

SRD. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Thanks for patiently answering. Yes, it definitely a balance between battery & features.
    Distracting! Don't know.

Sam T., TibiTibi and Dresa91 like this.
  11. Sam T.

Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hey Dude, I don't work with the team with did the LAB but I can ask. I think at least we should provide feedback on all the top ones even if for some reason they can't be implemented (stuff is complex sometimes!)

S_K_J and Dresa91 like this.
  12. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Or maybe it's easier to find the person to give it back to? 🤔 I think you need to chill but stay frosty out there 😆

13. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    For sure! We didn't work on this for a year to just show Bitmojis on your AOD like some other OEMs do 😉

We developed an incredible algorithm which takes into account what's happening around you and what you're doing on your phone to show you Bitmojis which mirror your day to day life. (This is all calculated locally and doesn't leave the device for security!)

There are loads of different scenarios you'll see on the AOD. For instance, start playing music and look at your AOD. Or start a game or watching a video and see it change. It's also taking into account: Time, weather, steps, calls, messages, and loads more! Let me know if you start to see the magic working...

DarshanMeniya, S_K_J and Dresa91 like this.
  14. S_K_J
    Gingerbread Aug 5, 2021

S_K_J , Aug 5, 2021 :
    @Sam T. Seems like u r pretty busy now well being busy with our work exercise of mind time to time to be fully focus. The algorithm u & your team has created honestly is really amazing and interesting seriously 😉, creating an algorithm that can calculate our activities and also our surrounding weather is a pretty hard Job (I think soo). Well I hope to see this type of customisations more in future. Best Of Luck 🙂👍🏼

Tip :- I just got to know that OnePlus is working on themes so, I will suggest that instead of launching a different app for themes that will consume more storage (space) and battery it would be better to settle all themes options and all new customisations in one personalization option inside settings menu.

Dresa91 likes this.
  15. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 5, 2021

AlienEye , via OnePlus 8T , Aug 5, 2021 :
    That's some clean explanation!! Thanks

Sam T. and Dresa91 like this.
  16. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    It was shown in the 8T launch event as 'coming soon' however, I think we've maybe exceeded the soon part!

Honestly, we just have to apologize that it was so late, the SW division has been through so much recently and with limited resources, less vital features like this one suffer. We also wanted to hone the algorithm and test it out to make sure the feature delivered to its high expectations. So in summary we got too excited and showed a feature we were really pumped about too soon, we should have kept it under wraps :(

17. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Yes the OnePlus 2 has a headphone jack. I owned it back in 2015 and it was a beast!

nerdkabir, McJader, TibiTibi and 2 others like this.
  18. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    We've worked so hard on the Parsons AOD, Bitmoji AOD with all the others and you want more! 😅😅😅

We partnered with Bitmoji as their tech is really quite impressive. Those other (bigger) OEMs have their own teams to work on this stuff but the SW division is already very stretched... But never say never ;)

19. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Thanks! It's always important to appeal across gender, ethnicity, age, and lifestyles! We don't want to leave anyone out <3

nerdkabir, WakeAwake and Dresa91 like this.
  20. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Pretty soon we'll be able to create a 3D hologram of the AOD which will actually be able to go and do your shopping, go do your job, and other small tasks for you... Tech is crazy yo.

Unfortunately, we're not allowed to talk about future features 😉 What do you want to see included with V2 and it might help us!