[AMA] Join our Bitmoji AOD - Ask Me Anything

1. Sam T.
    Senior Product Manager Staff Member Aug 5, 2021

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    We've developed an algorithm that tracks what you're doing and what's going on around you. (all locally so don't worry about privacy!)

Try listening to music, watching YouTube or gaming and see what happens on the AOD! There are >20 different scenarios we're tracking, let me know if you can work them all out! 🤟🏼

2. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    I worked on it for around 1 year (not exclusively) so you better hope I know what I'm talking about 😂

3. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 5, 2021

Sam T. and Dresa91 like this.
  4. S_K_J
    Gingerbread Aug 5, 2021

S_K_J , Aug 5, 2021 :
    No, your talks r too crazy😂😂😂 If soo then I am going to be more lazy 😝 even more then my lockdown days.

5. DarshanMeniya
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Aug 5, 2021

DarshanMeniya , via OnePlus 9 Pro co-developed with Hasselblad , Aug 5, 2021 :
    I believe in "Never Settle" philosophy amd expecting same from OnePlus team! 😉

6. psygarden
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Aug 5, 2021

psygarden , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Aug 5, 2021 :
    You clearing the issue honestly means a lot. Thanks a ton for the info. Eagerly looking forward to the Bitmoji AOD (and Notebook Set maybe) that the team has worked so hard on! 🙌🏻

7. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hello, 3 questions... Relly pushing your luck here! 😏

1. Yes it will cause additional battery drain (we calculate around 5% more daily when compared with no AOD - your mileage may vary) However, I think it's worth it to have such a fun AOD. Also it will update the bitmoji when you're <15% and charging.
    2. There are some really cool future applications for Bitmoji integrations, it's cool to see that so many people are interested in it.
    3. More details including which devices are here.

8. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    From the early data, we're seeing this is going to be a very high-use feature compared with any of our other AODs or even wider features in the OS. Remember that our target audience is larger than n1 and larger than the community.

I do understand your frustration with features requested in BETA which might not roll out to users. Ultimately as a SW division, we want to make products and features which users love but it is often a little harder than implementing things straight away.

9. TorbenK
    Cupcake Aug 5, 2021

TorbenK , Aug 5, 2021 :
    @Sam T. Somehow I find the AOD with Bitmoji is cool (I'm 54 yrs btw). And I'm "+1" about FriendMoji Support. :)
    You say there is 20+ scenarios. Will it be possible to make scenarios or simply pick which ones you'd like to see on your AOD? And maybe choose the amount of screen property the Bitmoji uses on AOD? 😉

/Torben 😎

eastbay likes this.
  10. Zach L.
    Sr. Product Designer Staff Member Aug 5, 2021

Stickied Post
    Zach L. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hi JayBl8de,

Thanks for bringing this up, we do notice the need and the voice from you.
    I agree this need makes sense.
    What I can do at the moment is to share some thoughts with you.

We know the facts about AMOLED is:
    - The more pixels the display lights, the high power consumption it is.
    - It still involves CPU to show what to display and as so animating image consumes high power.

The old LED notification model is using small "blinking" LED to catch users' attention, a small static dot may not work as good as the old model on catching the attention and no good on the information it provides.

Making the dot larger, it's ugly and still may not work good enough.
    And as so, why not show notification icons at least it's more informative. (if privacy is not the concern)

To monitor the notification, the CPU needs to wake up periodically.
    If power consumption is the only concern, you may be surprised how little the difference between:
    - CPU in a period to show a small dot
    - CPU in a period to show time + date + notification icons

A better experience may involve a new sensor or sensor architecture.
    To think about other features that can leverage the new sensor or sensor architecture can be a way to make it happen.

I guess these sharings may not make you satisfied.
    And yes, we are responsible to figure out the solution.
    Just trying to share and let you know we are not ignoring it.

Thanks,
    Zach

11. Zach L.

Stickied Post
    Zach L. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hi Yash Pratap Singh,

We do invest resources in trying to bring the AOD to 7/7T.
    As there are hardware differences, the power consumption is way larger than AOD on those devices we have enabled.
    Power consumption is very important, that's why we didn't bring the AOD on 7/7T yet.

Thanks,
    Zach

12. Zach L.

Stickied Post
    Zach L. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hi Ankit Bhaurah,

You may know the Bitmoji AOD will update according to the scenes you/environment matched.
    There are some more scenes we have planned to be enabled.
    I am interested to know why you may want to hear the voice from the Bitmojis, welcome to share with us your brilliant ideas.

Thanks,
    Zach

Sam T., nerdkabir, Erin C. and 4 others like this.
  13. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Hi Torben, good to see it's appealing to everyone! I'm too old for the target demographics as well but I really appreciate it when it pops up with something which really fits my scenario (and know that the hard work on the algorithm has paid off 😂)

In simple terms, it works by triggers on each scenario which are based on an IF function. IF battery = charging: Show charing Bitmoji. IF weather = sun for >4h: Show sun. Obviously, there are many overlapping scenarios so we have a hierarchy working in the background: Music beats steps which beats weather which beats time. However, with it changing every 5 mins often you can fit them all in on a cycle. Obviously, it's a lot more complex than this so we can't let users making their own scenarios and triggers just yet as it would be carnage but it is something to think about for the future.

As for the screen property, it's just a balance of how many pixels we need to turn on for it to look good Vs the battery consumption. So again, hard to put in the users hands 😂

Glad you like it though and looking forward to releasing many more fun features!

14. McJader
    Marshmallow Aug 5, 2021

northbay5566, TorbenK, Sam T. and 2 others like this.
  15. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Aug 5, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    This might be the most honest answer in an AMA. Thanks for an official disclosure.

Great job @Sam T. @Zach L. in answering the questions with full transparency, highly appreciate the full disclosure :D

northbay5566, Sam T. and Dresa91 like this.
  16. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Aug 5, 2021

Its not impossible :rolleyes:
    Now get back to work and make this feature :p

northbay5566, Sam T. and Dresa91 like this.
  17. Sam T.

Stickied Post
    Sam T. , Aug 5, 2021 :
    Think of the CPU and GPU cores or modules as a series of car engines. At the top end, we have our super-powerful Ferrari engine to handle intensive gaming or the boot process. At the lower end, we have the Toyota Prius which is super efficient for constantly counting steps or running background processes.

For old hardware like the 7 series, we can't just install a new engine for something like an AOD which we didn't know was coming. So we might need to use an engine which isn't the right one or fit for purpose. If we run the AOD on the Ferrari engine then the battery will be dead in no time.

This is super simplified but I hope it helps you understand some of the limitations 👍🏼 Zach, Darren and I are super happy to help answer questions, we're just pleased to be able to share our work (and the work of the wider team as we are just a small part of this feature)

18. Sully
    Cupcake Aug 5, 2021

Sully , Aug 5, 2021 :
    I have just stumbled upon this thread after much research and tech support sessions, with zero outcome with this issue.. Anyway I have recently upgraded to the Nord 2 from the 3T and the led notifications have disappeared on this device. After using this feature since 2017, it's hard to adjust, in fact I think it might be a deal breaker. For somebody with accessibility needs It is extremely annoying if the device is in silent mode and you have no way of telling if there is a new notification or even more important from what particular app without walking over and picking up the device and unlocking it to see if there is or isn't a new message. Although "WhatsApp" and "Signal" have basic default options to designate different colours in notification settings for regular messages or groups none of these appear on the Nord 2. Do you think this will be rectified in an update? Thanks.

19. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Aug 5, 2021

Great explanation!
    Just one more doubt, if AOD compatibility is hardware based limitation too, then how is it possible that the previous gen OP 6 has got the feature, even though it has lower specs o_O

northbay5566, S_K_J and Dresa91 like this.
  20. northbay5566
    Jelly Bean Aug 5, 2021

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021

N1611331749210 and Dresa91 like this.