AMA - OnePlus Support

1. Abhijeet bhatt
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2020

Abhijeet bhatt , via OnePlus 5T , Jun 20, 2020 :
    Dear one plus team,
    since my last upgrade my phone has started to hang up very often. It has never happen before. Is one plus deliberately slowing down the phone via updates so that people will upgrade? like apple does. This is so damn inconvenient.

2. BOGA ITC
    Donut Jun 20, 2020

BOGA ITC , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 20, 2020 :

Y1562868249068

So you paid £1000 for a phone specifically for that filter? Lets be realistic here, the phone was £899 if you have the 256gb version, the filter will be returned in one way or another along with numerous other filters, does that mean that you are willing to give OP more money for all the improvements you receive during your ownership? No one spends £900 on a phone and expects it to be a top of the range DSLR camera.​

I'm sorry, I'm not following your logic - on a 2 year inflated contract with my provider the price of the phone is approximately £1000. now before you say "well you didn't buy the phone then" it's a legally binding contract to pay that amount over of period of time. So yes, I bought the phone. No, not for the filter or the cameras - I bought it because in a like for like comparison it worked out better than the S20 Ultra and has 5G. As a personal gaming phone it actually ticked all the boxes. I don't give a hoot for the camera filter that I used once in a month...I do care not to have my phone downgraded through no fault of my own. The feature may be returned but had I wanted a refurbished phone I would have stayed with my OP3.

If OP are going to bow to pressure then the camera isn't the point they should have conceded on and in fact should have stuck to their Never Settle motto and left the feature as that little something to make their phones special.

bjorg18 and James 007 like this.
  3. SteveCP
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2020

SteveCP , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Jun 20, 2020 :
    The price of the phone doesnt change because you got it over a 2 year period, the phone will still cost £899, the extra money is due to your contract credit agreement not the phone. What I would like to know is if you are paying with £ then why have you got a IN2020 or IN2021 model rather than a IN2023 model?

4. BOGA ITC
    Donut Jun 21, 2020

BOGA ITC , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 21, 2020 :
    I'm sorry, who are you? I directed my question to Rain Y the regional support manager for European Customer services voicing a general concern for the actions taken by OnePlus in other regions and wondered if we would eventually see that downgrade sneak into other models such as mine.

I was seeking assurance that there was no such risk to the UK market.

Warranty support and periodic maintenance or feature corrections is the responsibility of the manufacturer where a user is not permitted to perform these themselves. Android OS restrictions necessitates this unless a Windows platform which allis a certain degree if user management.

or when Intel introduced microcode adjustments to their older CPUs to mitigate execution attacks and inadvertently affected CPU performance, end users can opt to buy new processors or not apply the patch. The same is not true of Android devices. So you can understand my concern if the choice is taken away from customers.

And for your information my device plan is £45 a month and my line is £12 a month. Paying monthly for 2 years my phone will cost me £1080 with 3 mobile and that's with 13 year customer loyalty discounts.

You are making large assumptions my friend but you can verify this for yourself on 3 mobile's website. And my phone is indeed the OP8 Pro 12GB, 256GB, IN2023.

Steve, you're quite right, the RRP may be £899 but as I didn't purchase it outright I'm merely highlighting that the cost to me is £1K. It is an accurate reflection of my concern not if the market value of the phone which bears no meaningful correlation to my original comment.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020

James 007 likes this.
  5. SteveCP
    Honeycomb Jun 21, 2020

SteveCP , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Jun 21, 2020 :
    I am a forum member much like you, except I realise that what I bought is a piece of hardware that runs software owned by a company who have the right to do what they want with that software.

You bought the phone with OxygenOS 10 and that will be updated to 11 in the near future, OP dont expect you to pay for that upgrade so why would you feel the need for reimbursement for if they had to TEMPORARILY remove something to fix it?

There are numerous new filters included with 11 that make use of the colour filter camera so the removal of the photocrom filter is not the removal of the camera but merely a filter that the camera uses.

You can opt not to apply the "patch" by not upgrading to the newest firmware or if you do there is the option to roll back to a previous version of the firmware if something is missing/not working.

10.5.9 update removed the full screen ability for some modes in the camera and that does affect the UK models but no one is complaining about that, instead they are jumping on the bandwagon to complain about something that doesn't directly affect them.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020

6. BOGA ITC , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , Jun 21, 2020 :

SteveCP

I am a forum member much like you, except I realise that what I bought is a piece of hardware that runs software owned by a company who have the right to do what they want with that software.

You bought the phone with OxygenOS 10 and that will be updated to 11 in the near future, OP dont expect you to pay for that upgrade so why would you feel the need for reimbursement for if they had to TEMPORARILY remove something to fix it?

There are numerous new filters included with 11 that make use of the colour filter camera so the removal of the photocrom filter is not the removal of the camera but merely a filter that the camera uses.

You can opt not to apply the "patch" by not upgrading to the newest firmware or if you do there is the option to roll back to a previous version of the firmware if something is missing/not working.

10.5.9 update removed the full screen ability for some modes in the camera and that does affect the UK models but no one is complaining about that, instead they are jumping on the bandwagon to complain about something that doesn't directly affect them.​

Hi Steve thank you again for your input. If you refer to my original post you will see that I am asking whether we should be wary of other negative adjustments that OP might push through.

While you clearly have a better understanding of the relationship of the OS and camera etc you and I are customers purchasing a whole product. I am expressing my concern, my legal right under distance purchasing, and consumer satisfaction, to gain reassurance that not just the camera or the OS or future improvements, but that my purchase will not be rendered sub par on a whim every time OP bows to pressure.

While you have exercised your right to voice your opinion and seek to put me in my place neither you nor OP have responded to my actual question.

Nevermind quality improvements which are a given to enhance the phone and performance, if you're removing features purchased now and in the future should we be wary of upgrades and are we entitled to reimbursement.

Now as I said before, the chromatic filter I don't care about was the anchor of my question, but merely to highlight the attention much like Apple throttling phones covertly. But you're saying I should be grateful considering what future upgrades bring and if I'm not happy then rollback. If I am unaware or unable to do so then what?

Your response is the equivalent of buying a sports car that can do 200MPH but due to pressure your car is recalled and limited to 130MPH. But the dealer added Bose speakers replacing the stock ones. So be happy! Yes, I can pay to get the car chipped and back to 200MPH but should the manufacturer want to now add or remove another feature I need to accept this or find a workaround.

Why not let them add a chip that fools emissions tests or, like Huawei, add listening technology to their equipment (this is not a fact I'm using this as an example).

Anyway I've gone off on one lol. Enjoy Father's Day Steve and thanks for your thoughts. Maybe OP can weigh in now?

James 007 likes this.
  7. SteveCP
    Honeycomb Jun 21, 2020

SteveCP , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Jun 21, 2020 :
    You are asking a question that cant be amswered, they dont have a crystal ball to see what people will take out of context next. Hopefully any further issues will be ironed out in the closed and open betas prior to them coming to the stable OS. I do hope OP get back to you. And same to you, Happy Fathers day, have a good one.

BOGA ITC likes this.
  8. S1592766695276
    Cupcake Jun 21, 2020

S1592766695276 , Jun 21, 2020 :
    Hi. I'm using OnePlus 7 Pro here. I'm having trouble logging into my NordVPN. I have isolated the problem with my phone because I was able to use NordVPN on my laptop and on my Samsung tablet with no problem at all. Help please anyone?

9. Smiths67
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2020

Smiths67 , Jun 22, 2020 :
    can anyone provide guidance on when a patch will be available for Android Auto? As many have stated in other posts, Android Auto stopped working for me recently, and is unresponsive when my OnePlus 7 Pro is connected. Is this being worked on? is it a OnePlus thing, or affecting all Android phones? looking for an answer quickly so I can decide if waiting makes sense, or moving to another manufacturer.

10. ManpreetSingh223
    Eclair Jun 22, 2020

11. N1577884346645
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2020

N1577884346645 , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 22, 2020 :
    Hello OnePlus Support, I have purchased OnePlus 7t during Oct19, it fell down and the screen got cracked on the right hand corner, going through various articals came to know that the mobile purchased through AMAZON is covered under warranty period of one year through Acko insurance. Whether it is correct, if so what's my role,if not what should I do?., Although it is Lockdown in Chennai I went to your Service center,Iwas literally ignored and as asked to come at 9am to get a token, in your advertisement you tell lots of things like the mobile shall be picked from home and after servicing given back at home.please clarify what to do, the mobile is working absolutely fine.

12. SteveCP
    Honeycomb Jun 22, 2020

SteveCP , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Jun 22, 2020 :
    If you havent purchased accidental damage cover then you will not be coverrd by Amazon, they only cover defects not damage with their standard 1 year warranty.

13. N1577884346645
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2020

14. SteveCP
    Honeycomb Jun 22, 2020

SteveCP , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Jun 22, 2020 :
    Have you looked here? https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/2475001?hl=en

15. Q1526649138113
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2020

16. DavidDad12
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2020

DavidDad12 , Jun 22, 2020 :
    OnePlus a5010 memory full, need to transfer photos. What I have tried has not worked. What is best way to do this?

17. Arun. S
    North America Contact Center Manager Staff Member Jun 22, 2020

Stickied Post
    Arun. S , Jun 22, 2020 :
    Health has been the talk of the town, I'm sure you and your closed ones are in the best of health. I do appreciate the time you have spent sharing your thoughts. Do accept my apologies to what you have been through and I don't intend this to happen either. We listen to our customers, build our support staff through constant and rigorous training mechanism. We strive to better ourselves and address all the aspects of customer experience. We do understand that hold time has been a concern for you, which will be solved eventually. Alternatively, you can also reach out to us through an E-mail or chat from our support page (https://www.oneplus.com/support) and I'm sure you will be assisted by one of our support staff members.

18. Arun. S
    North America Contact Center Manager Staff Member Jun 22, 2020

Stickied Post
    Arun. S , Jun 22, 2020 :
    I wish you and your loved ones are in the best of health. I'm truly overwhelmed by your generosity. I'm speechless in expressing my gratitude to you. Thanks for sailing along with us for all these many years without any challenges.

We live by our values:
    1. Open: Always open for feedback and implement those for our betterment.
    2. Never Settle: We strive for constant improvement and truly live up to it.
    3. User-Driven: While we innovate to deliver the best technology at an affordable price.
    While we continue to innovate and come up with amazing devices, we don't want to forget the ones who made us be where we are today. Hence we continue to support all our users to the fullest. I'm not sure about the other OEM's, but we at OnePlus want to stand tall for our users.

G_plusone, Batman360 and Dresa91 like this.

19. Rain Y.
    Europe Contact Center Assistant Manager Staff Member Jun 22, 2020

Stickied Post
    Rain Y. , Jun 22, 2020 :
    We try to keep the service effortless for our users. As long as you have your order-no/case-ID with you, our support team can help and guide you through the process.

In the future, when you reach out to support our support channels can let you know what you may need before getting in touch with our support staff.

G_plusone, Dresa91 and Batman360 like this.