AMA with Hope Liu - the OnePlus Industrial Design

1. Tahyang
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

Tahyang , via OnePlus 8 T-Mobile , Sep 8, 2020 :
    How does the design team, and OnePlus as a whole I suppose, decide on something as huge as a corporate collaboration as was in the case of the McLaren series? The 7T Pro McLaren was hands down the best and most beautiful phone I've ever owned. I know both OnePlus and McLaren both said they would be open to a partnership again, but do you really think we'll ever see anything like that again?

2. Ragingtorch09
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

Ragingtorch09 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Sep 8, 2020 :
    When designing phones do you use other brand phone as ideas/ references when creating your designs?

On average how many " rough drafts" of a phone do you have to go through until you get the final released phone?

How long does it take to go from initial thought to a finished phone?

3. mamafinch
    Donut Sep 8, 2020

mamafinch , Sep 8, 2020 :
    Will OnePlus ever enter into the tablet industry? Would love to see what OnePlus could do to improve that area of technology at an affordable cost.

4. Ark10
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

Ark10 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Sep 8, 2020 :
    I love how glossy and beautiful the back is, did you go through a lot of different designs and prototypes before you found the right one? And if so, what were the other ideas?

5. turtle87
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

turtle87 , via OnePlus 6T T-Mobile , Sep 8, 2020 :
    Is there going to be a graphene battery in the near future? Seems like the perfect time to start experimenting with graphene batteries to have longer daily use and faster charge times.

Old Man Gundam likes this.
  6. P1566581633052
    Eclair Sep 8, 2020

7. P1592704455032 , via OnePlus 8 T-Mobile , Sep 8, 2020 :
    if you could design a phone the people of tomorrow, what would it look like? Even though more affordable phones are not only a OnePlus mainstay, but also an industry push right now... money no object.

8. shash30
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

shash30 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    @Hope L.
    Do you draw inspiration from your past self that made sketches and paintings for your future designs, and what was the first product you designed at OnePlus?
    Thanks for the time.

9. Old Man Gundam
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

Eiwyaa likes this.
  10. tocsa
    Donut Sep 8, 2020

tocsa , via OnePlus 6 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    My question: is it possible to also factor in repairability and serviceability during the design process? How much priority those two properties have compared to others?

Phantom778 likes this.
  11. Dbar3
    Eclair Sep 8, 2020

Dbar3 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Sep 8, 2020 :
    the oneplus tv packs quite a powerful chipset, what seems to be very good audio, and nice style. but is it lacking in video quality? I can't find the refresh rate , but last year model was only 60hz. video quality is the only thing that actually matters in a tv, so can the oneplus compete with other mid level tvs like tcl, lg, and samsung? is it worth the price? any comment on why someone should consider it over cheaper maybe better options?

12. Neal.Gupta
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

Neal.Gupta , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Sep 8, 2020 :
    @Hope L. When it comes to design, how does the interesction between hardware and software play out for you and the rest of the team?
    Oneplus phones have always felt clean, well defined, full of features yet simple and I think it shows in both the hardware design along with the UI experience. Is this something that is consciously looked at through the product development cycle, or is it a happy consequence of great teams with similar goals?

13. Itszephyr135
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

14. Antonio_Luis
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 8, 2020

Antonio_Luis , via OnePlus Nord , Sep 8, 2020 :
    @Hope L. I've always wondered why the OnePlus design shifted away from the "Horizon Line" with the OnePlus 6T? The horizon line was a defining characteristic for OnePlus devices. The overall feel in the hand was drastically different with this subtlety and I would love to see it make a return with a future model!
    Thank you in advance [e]1f64f[/e]

15. Q1571365359226
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

Q1571365359226 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    @Hope L.

As a designer, but also as a part of the broader OnePlus team, how do you balance expressing your ideas with making sure you keep designs unmistakably "OnePlus"?

I'd also like to thank you for the OnePlus 7 Pro almond color option. I've had mine since launch and it's still the best looking phone out there.

16. Kentula
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

17. A1538768844989
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

18. heyitzrare
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

heyitzrare , via OnePlus 8 T-Mobile , Sep 8, 2020 :
    Hi there! OnePlus 8 owner for just over a week here ^^

When designing the Interstellar Glow OnePlus 8, did you have any other similar color scheme ideas? For example, maybe one where the dominant color was green?