AMA with Hope Liu - the OnePlus Industrial Design

1. Hope L.
    Chief Designer Staff Member Sep 11, 2020

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    Thanks for your question. What excites me is the real side of OnePlus's design. We try to use real materials and designs to let users perceive the charm of the product. The design of AG glass (frosted) leads the entire industry. I am very happy that users can know that we are trying to build relationships and empathy between products and people.

Loustsoul, alex_urv, patel1+3 and 8 others like this.
  2. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    Good question. Everything starts from user value. In addition to expressing the attitude of OnePlus, the products we create are more for users to solve problems. In the earliest days of OnePlus, the design was very rigid, and the rounded corners of the phone were also very small. However, as the screen keeps getting bigger, the time that users use the phone gradually increases, and products with small rounded corners will hurt users. Although small rounded corners can increase screen usage, we still consider increasing the rounded corners of mobile phones for the user's use. This is not for aesthetics, but for the experience of use.

3. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    To be honest, I didn't learn a lot because the two industries are very different, but in the process I think it is worth learning to make strategies and analysis solutions.

4. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    I'm not really interested in this at the beginning. At first I designed notebooks and Pads. These products are all 3C products, but in fact they are similar in design theory and knowledge. I became interested when I started to design mobile phones.I have found that few industries can touch and talk to users in this way. Few products can attract so many users' attention. In addition to cars, IOT, mobile phone products may be the most concerned by users. The designer is in the spotlight.

5. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    Maybe I am not very young, 33 years old. As long as the designer speaks with the design work, he will naturally be rewarded. If the work is not good, consumers will naturally not pay. Therefore, being a designer is relatively simple and straightforward, and more simple than being sales. My position is the chief designer and design director of OnePlus. All my decisions are to make the product design feel better, to make the design more valuable, and to make choices in cost, process and manufacturing options. Finally, the main thing is how to position the design direction of OnePlus. It may be that the decision I made meets the expectations of the market and the company. That's it.

6. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    I want to be a scholar. I find that teaching others to design is more interesting and challenging than designing myself. Perhaps it is more suitable for me to be a teacher. Secondly, if there are other options, I would like to be a travel experience officer, my dream job.

7. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    Everyone has a different perspective, and the products and designs you like are very different. I personally like the design of Bentley cars very much. Design does not mean the pursuit of luxury, but value.

8. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    A designer is not a painter, a designer is not an engineer, a designer is not an artist. The designer is a fusion of the three and wanders in it. Excellent designers have good skills and reserve enough engineering and manufacturing experience. The most important thing is to be big about all curiosity and put it into practice. Keep trying and sum up experience.

9. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    Choosing an industry must be something you like, and find the right opportunity as soon as possible. Opportunity is not necessarily a very important position, but it must be a position where you can learn something. When you find that there is nothing to learn, that is the time to leave and find more challenges.

10. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    The path of each product is different, and some are very difficult. We need to spend half a year or even longer to design. The space and stacking efficiency required by mobile phone products are too different from other products. We may make hundreds of attempts. We will continue to optimize some of the solutions that have not been selected to see if they can be used in the future. Part of it is displayed in the "parking lot" and may be waiting for the opportunity to be discovered.

11. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    I serve millions of users, and millions of users are using the products I designed. :cool:

12. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    This is too much, I think there is a book worth reading: Art and Visual Perception by Rudolf Arnheim

13. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    The biggest difference is not external, but internal. People have two eyes, and cars have four wheels. But why would you spend money to buy products you like, or choose to stay with one person for a lifetime. The reason is internal. The biggest difference in design is that countless designs and functions, colors and materials convey different temperaments. OnePlus already has a temperament that distinguishes it from others, what I need to do is zoom in and improve it.

14. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    I like the moment when the model machine comes out, it will make you ecstatic every time, just like a newborn baby appears. That feeling is amazing.

15. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    The OnePlus 6. No reason. I just like it.

16. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    Design model, and design strategy

17. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    A lot of this problem has nothing to do with design. The cost difference of materials is not too big, but the quality is closely related to the price. What a designer can do is to perfect the material of a product, and use the attributes and connotations of the material to the right place.

18. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    Software must be the core of future mobile phones, and hardware is the carrier. We cannot break the laws of physics. Software must be loaded on the hardware. Software is experience, and hardware is a necessary condition to support experience. The development of hardware will continue to be refined. For example, the battery may be flexible, the screen may be flexible, and many may even be insensitive, such as airborne operation. Technology needs to be imported from the laboratory to commercialization for a very long time. This process is very long and we need to wait. It is as if we hoped that cars could fly very early, but today, cars have been developed for hundreds of years, but flying cars are still in the laboratory stage.

19. Hope L.

Stickied Post
    Hope L. , Sep 11, 2020 :
    The commonality between mobile phone design and graphic design is to convey ideas, feelings, and temperament. Graphic design is very tolerant, as long as we can design it, we can naturally achieve it. Graphic design is easy to convey emotions, and the difficulty of industrial design is more about technical support. The difficulty of mobile phone product design is that mobile phones are developing very rapidly, and their technical reserves are far behind the expectations of users. Despite of 100x investment, it may not be commercialized. Secondly, the space and manufacturing pressure of mobile phone products are huge, and the space of 0.01mm is extremely precious. This requires designers to have more manufacturing experience and a keen sense of design.