AMA with Hope Liu - the OnePlus Industrial Design

1. seceta
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

seceta , Sep 8, 2020 :
    @Hope L. is there any feature that you think 'yessss this is going to stay in the design for a long time'?

2. yet another one
    Donut Sep 8, 2020

yet another one , via OnePlus 3 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    With OPPO already looking at the under display front camera being implemented as soon as 2021 for commercial release, how soon will will we likely see this technology in a OnePlus? Perhaps this could be a feature differentiating the Pro version or a later T release? I believe a lot of people would prefer the extra screen space and having different models allow people to choose if they prefer the better front camera(s) or more screen dependant I how they use their OnePlus.

3. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Sep 8, 2020

Batman360 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    @Hope L. out of soo many beautiful designs that you showed us on the Live AMA, why do you guys always choose the standard OnePlus design? And if everytime the same standard design is chosen, then why produce soo many extra designs?

SultanaDaaku likes this.
  4. G_MoMo_Shimata_GoiL
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

5. ryanwill122
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

6. Louber
    Donut Sep 8, 2020

Louber , via OnePlus Nord , Sep 8, 2020 :
    Why does oneplus decided to compete with the high tier smartphones instead of sticking on midrange flagship in killer? Does the team going to continue selling flagship phones and midrange models?

7. G_Lucas_Murphy_dGnH , via OnePlus Nord , Sep 8, 2020 :
    How would you rate the importance of optimising firmware and software to better utilise current hardware against accelerating the advancement of hardware to keep up with the industry's neck-break pace?

8. W1599571005287
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

W1599571005287 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    Hi Hope!

With many manufacturers going with an asymmetrical design with the cameras being on the left side of the rear, why is it you prefer to have a string of cameras down the middle?

9. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Sep 8, 2020

Batman360 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    @Hope L. when do you think the in-screen selfie camera will be made possible? Are there any brainstorming sessions going on in this area?

10. wonkotsane
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

wonkotsane , via OnePlus Nord , Sep 8, 2020 :
    Everyone wants to fit more on their screen but don't want to carry a huge phone in their pocket. How do you reconcile those two conflicting demands from consumers without inventing holographic screens? Please invent holographic screens!

11. G_Vijay_Chauhan_nOAc
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

G_Vijay_Chauhan_nOAc , Sep 8, 2020 :
    Hi Hope,

as your name suggests Hope for the best and yes you are leading with example OnePlus innovation team from front.

My Q. is simple:
    as Smartphone changed human way of communication completely. what next level of innovation in mobile phone @ OnePlus innovation lab we could see in near future. which could make a significant impact on making Human lives better.

Regards,
    Vijay Singh Chauhan

12. Z1599571464842
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

Z1599571464842 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    If you had to to complete the calculation of OnePlus (1 + ? = ?)? and you the answer can't be, amazing brand, forefront in technical design and just the perfect product!

Phil

13. CAL1BR1
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

CAL1BR1 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    Hello. Can we please move away from fingerprint magnet phone backplates. Premium design doesn't necessarily mean metal or plain glass. Surely some kind of texture can be added to simple plastic to make the phone fingerprint/dirt/scratch resistant - maybe some kind of cool concentric ring pattern on a one piece shell? Plastic would also keep costs down, allow variety of colour options and make the phone more durable.

14. vivekmistry1234567 , via OnePlus Nord , Sep 8, 2020 :
    Hi @Hope L. , hope you're well. My question is: The new device announcements for this year have been very interesting. How did the inspiration for these devices tie into the the future of OnePlus, and how do you think your design process will change in the future?

15. wardshamou
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

wardshamou , via OnePlus 8 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    I've recently moved from a pixel to a oneplus 8 and I'm very impressed with what it can do and performance so far. What I would love to know is are there any plans to move from optical biometrics to other kinds in the future?

16. L1599571640556
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

L1599571640556 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    I see that the vast majority of phones around are black/greyish silver (atleast in London they are) , are there any areas of the world that prefer ordering more colourfully designed phones?

17. JeremyAcosta
    Donut Sep 8, 2020

18. L1558255588434
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2020

L1558255588434 , Sep 8, 2020 :
    Smartphone design is always at risk of convergent design, even unintentionally, because of the specifications of parts available in the supply chain and the ergonomics dictated by the human body. This has been an issue as long as the famous lawsuit on "copying" phone design between the two big players in the earlier days of the flagship smartphone.

Because OnePlus's goal is to deliver a product that can stand up to the big tech players at lower cost to the consumer, I would imagine that as a designer you have a bigger challenge than your peers creating a distinct premium design from the many other mobile device companies using the same supply chain, without needing too many bespoke parts which might drive up costs.

Is this correct? If so, how does avoiding convergent design impact your creative process?