AMA with Pete: See his answers!

1. Zach X.
    Community Team Staff Member Mar 2, 2020

Zach X. , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Pete AMA.jpg

Hey everyone,

This year, we plan on rolling out a series of new “co-creation” projects coming soon to global community, including regular AMA, an Open Ears Forum platform, and the soon-to-be announced IDEAS platform (for ideas sharing). Multiple topics and teams will be involved in these projects. We are inviting and encouraging OnePlus staff members from different departments to interact, share and discuss more with users, with the aim of creating and improving our products, service and work flow. Please keep eyes on community updates and join those events that are the perfect match for you!

To start the co-creation projects this year, the Community team is honored to invite @Pete as our first guest of AMA. This is a good chance to hear Pete’s idea of community engagement efforts, straight from him! Starting today, we’ll be collecting questions for the AMA on this thread. You can ask him one question about anything you want, such as his idea of community co-creation projects, and even his favorite games. You can also share your ideas of how OnePlus can better interact with you. However, please keep in mind that no questions about any upcoming products will be answered here, because we don't want to spoil the surprises🤣.

Pete will start answering on Mar 6, 5 PM HKT. While I'm sure he would love to answer all your questions, he also has a business to run, so he will be only answering no more than 20 questions. We appreciate your understanding, and please make sure you ask a great and interesting question!

3 users who submits his favorite questions will win an Explorer Backpack. Questions will be considered on a rolling basis until the end of the AMA event. We suggest getting yours in sooner rather later.

Have a great time everyone! We look forward to hearing from you!

Winners Announced
    I appreciate that @Pete can set aside his precious time to interact directly with our community members! The first AMA with Pete is over. You can find Pete's answers in the comment section. Let's have a look on who submitted his favorite questions!

@Liehjan
    Will there ever be a future device that goes back to the roots, where the community could impact on features and design?
    @cdnfarmer
    What would you tell the youth or others in society?
    @Hugeatom342
    How did you come up with such a wonderful brand idea and what struggles you had?

Thank you everyone who joined the first AMA this year! I will keep inviting mysterious guests to community to answer your questions. See you next time!

2. Pete
    CEO Staff Member Mar 6, 2020

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    OnePlus has been focusing on co-creation since its establishment. This year, we want to do even more with our users and elevated co-creation to a strategic-level project. We will reorganize the organizational structure and organize a dedicated team to cultivate an even stronger co-creative culture. New projects include AMA (ask me anything), IDEAS (for ideas sharing), and OEF (Open Ears Forum). Community opinions will affect new features and designs, and everyone is welcome to join.

3. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    OnePlus has always focused on environmental sustainability. Our mobile phones and packages are using more and more environmentally friendly materials. At present, the outer coating of the mobile phone itself is an environmentally friendly material. In addition, OnePlus insists on making the best products, and our mobile phones have a longer lifespan, which can maximize the use of natural resources. In this way, we reduce electronic waste and minimize our impact on the environment.

4. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    The community has always been very important to OnePlus. Many functions are actually developed and optimized by suggestions from the community. For example, as you all know, we have closed beta and open beta versions of our OS that help us keep in close touch with users, so we can get your feedback and continued to optimize the OS. Past co-creation projects have provided us with opportunities to communicate with users and collect feedback.

5. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    OnePlus welcomes any and all suggestions. Previously, users have put forward suggestions about products, company development strategy, and even marketing. I think this is great. This kind of co-creation is what makes OnePlus different from other mobile phone brands.

6. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    The starting point of the OnePlus ecosystem is to give users a seamless Internet experience, for example with the OnePlus TV, which provides home mobile Internet connectivity. Priority will be given to the home Internet, and we are also paying attention to other products. If it is an indispensable part for a seamless Internet experience, we will consider it.

7. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    I think it's important for us to help where we can, so for example, OnePlus was one of the first companies to purchase medical supplies and send them to Wuhan. We have also taken a series of measures to ensure the safety of our employees, making sure to do everything we can to protect our employees.

8. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    My typical day is usually full of back-to-back meetings, but I will always set aside time to think alone. After work, I like working out at the gym or playing tennis. My favorite tennis player is Pete Sampras, and this is actually where my English name comes from. It would be great if I can play tennis with our users together someday. I used to think that working out is very boring until I met a good coach. I improved a little everyday and felt the sense of achievement. In the end I found out that working out can also be fun.

9. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    I suggest young people to be bold, to try things, and to pursue their passions. Never Settle! The environment for young people to grow up is much better than it was 20 years ago. There are many opportunities. I envy them. I hope they dare to try things that they are interested in. More importantly, stick to them and don't give up easily. Achieving results requires resilience and persistence. In OnePlus, I give young employees a lot of opportunities. I let them take part in important projects, and let them develop their ideas and innovations.

10. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Yes I have used smart watches. I think there are two reasons why more and more people are paying attention to smart watches: education in the market, and technological progress. Endurance and calling are two core needs of a smart watch. After the technological breakthrough, the experience of smart watch is getting better and better. My personal point of view is that a smart watch must be closely related to health, and then the entire industry will invest more in the future. So I'll keep paying attention to this. I'm also curious to get your thoughts on one question. Do you prefer round or square watches?

11. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :

Q2: Thank you very much for your support. I'm really pleased to have achieved such great results in India, but we still have a long way to go. We'll keep working hard to bring you the best products.

12. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Thanks for sharing your story about your OnePlus service experience. The core of the company is products and services. Our development in the past few years has exceeded expectations, so at times our services may not have always kept up at the same pace. So we have been determined to exceed the average service level of the industry, especially in India. As we continue to mature and build up more trust with our users, we will continue to improve our service. I believe that users' impression of OnePlus' service will continue to improve as well.

13. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Technological innovation is extremely important to OnePlus. For example, the way we integrate sensors and cameras for our in-display fingerprint sensor leads the industry. We're paying close attention to the development of under screen cameras because users like having a full screen. I think this will be the future trend, but the industry isn't there yet.

14. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    The original intention of creating OnePlus was very simple, to provide users a better product and let users know who we are. As we've built OnePlus, at each stage we've encountered different challenges. In the early days, we focused on how to make the product better, focusing on the development process and technical details. Now we are facing a new challenge: how to get more people to know OnePlus and become the favorite brand of technology enthusiasts, so we can have more impact on a larger user base in the future.

Jonas_k., gaster, Anshu3110 and 13 others like this.
  15. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    In order to keep customers, we will continue to make better products.

16. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    OnePlus brand ambassadors and core fans love OnePlus, and we're really grateful for this. We hope that our community approach can help us connect better with users and make people more aware of OnePlus and our products. We're always looking for better ways to do this, so I hope everyone can share their ideas with us.

17. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Yes, the OnePlus 5 will get Android 10 in Q2 this year.

18. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Photography is one of the cores of OnePlus, and we have invested heavily in it. We want our users to take good pictures at any time. In the future, we will improve AI to allow users to have a better photo experience. I think photography is an important part of our life. In various cities in India and other countries, we have invited photographers to organize lectures to improve the users' photography skills. More photography-related events will be held in the future in OnePlus.

19. Pete

Stickied Post
    Pete , Mar 6, 2020 :
    The user's voice is important to us and can help us understand user needs. Everyone's opinions and expressions are different, so my requirement for the team is to understand the fundamental needs through the voice of the user. For example, users want a 4000 mAh battery, but the fundamental need is actually battery life, not just the battery size. Therefore, software optimization is also important. Our principle is find this balance to meet the needs of most people, and in line with OnePlus' product philosophy: fast and smooth experience!

20. Moin2200
    KitKat Mar 2, 2020

Moin2200 , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Thanks for doing this Pete!

My question is "have you ever considered a oneplus ecosystem?"

21. Liehjan
    Lollipop Mar 2, 2020

Liehjan , Mar 2, 2020 :
    My question is: Will there ever be a future device that goes back to the roots, where the community could impact on features and design?

Jubel.J, Pete, theOPlover and 38 others like this.
  22. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Mar 2, 2020

Dresa91 , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Thanks @Zach X. and @Pete :)

My question:
    Have you ever thought about OnePlus separating itself more from Google and the Google services - like Huawei has to do now and offer the better Android ?

23. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Mar 2, 2020

B.I.T.S. , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Santa Zack is back! :cool:

Hello @Pete, and thank you for doing this! My question is this:

How do you manage/face the pressure of having to innovate in order to keep competing in the actual incredibly quick markets?

25. StopItRawr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 2, 2020

StopItRawr , Mar 2, 2020 :
    @Pete

Could you please answer if you're planning on converging features and benefits for all, rather than your "special" regions.

We are a global community and OnePlus are active in many regions, yet it is clear where your focus lies. When other companies treat other regions equally rather than treating some better than others, why should people stay loyal to OnePlus when they are not loyal to all of their official customer regions?

27. Aathif_Mahir

Aathif_Mahir , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Hi @Pete

Nowadays Smartphone industry is evolving towards fully bazelless Smartphone designs and 3 or more camera lens in the rear. What's your take on fully bazelless display with under display front camera and more than 3 lenses for rear camera. what are possibility with these new design trends and what are the opportunity you get from these types of design from a tech firm standpoint.

Sicksher, nateavi and KARY JAKINS .M like this.
  28. B_Wrath
    Marshmallow Mar 2, 2020

B_Wrath , Mar 2, 2020 :
    1+.

30. amirul_lisan

31. Shiv Swarup
    Cupcake Mar 2, 2020

Shiv Swarup , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Storing of step counter data,
    Storing of data usage and wifi usage data,
    Giving password for Recently deleted pictures
    Having different lock for diff apps

32. MahdiCFC
    Donut Mar 2, 2020

MahdiCFC , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Hi
    My question is:
    After last update my phone going to normally charging and that is very slowely. I have bought this phone 1 month ago and I have original warp charger.
    My device is 7t pro
    Can you check this issue?

33. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Mar 2, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Mar 2, 2020 :
    A recently-leaked EU regulatory proposal, if enacted, would require all smartphone batteries to be user-replaceable. Public response to the report has been largely supportive. Do you think this and other design features aimed at enhancing a device's sustainability / repairability might be marketable in their own right, irrespective of whether the EU proposal becomes law?

Richard

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020

34. Louioo
    Honeycomb Mar 2, 2020

Louioo , Mar 2, 2020 :
    What feature, not currently provided or thought of, would you like to see introduced to the smart phone world? and why?

KARY JAKINS .M and erikg80 like this.
  35. Venkatesh.kawde
    Cupcake Mar 2, 2020

Venkatesh.kawde , Mar 2, 2020 :
    Hey @Pete Hope you're doing great !
    so my question is can we expect OnePlus's OneWatch series , TWS EARBUDS in future ?
    Because we are not liking using other brand watches , earbuds .
    It would be much better if we be use all accessories by OnePlus 💯.

hope Pete will hear my question 😬

36. StopItRawr

StopItRawr , Mar 2, 2020 :
    However, please keep in mind that no questions about any upcoming products will be answered here, because we don't want to spoil the surprises.

37. VanMilan
    Gingerbread Mar 2, 2020

38. Gav_W86
    Starting Point Expert Mar 2, 2020

Gav_W86 , Mar 2, 2020 :
    How do you deal with the vastly changing global userbase, moving from tech savvy enthusiasts to a more general audience?