> > Amazfit T-Rex < < Watch/Tracker [REVIEW]

1. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Nov 16, 2020

TibiTibi , Nov 16, 2020 :
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Hello, I’m Tibi.

Let me present you my longest continuous text I’ve ever written in the forum.

Facts and Thoughts

The Age of dinosaurs in general is far away.
    I think you have seen experiments in Jurassic Park and Jurassic World with bringing them back to life.
    In the beginning of 2020 I’ve read on the internet that it will be possible to buy a T-Rex. It sounded all-in-all crazy and cool. Sure, I have searched the web to collect more information. After days of investigation I have decided to have one.
    So, meet my T-Rex.

(May 2017, Mainz)
    3 years ago I was in Mainz on a trip. There I’ve started to use my Fitbit Blaze unintentionally. The Blaze was their first fitness tracker in a form of “smart”-watch. I didn’t wear watches for many years because the first thing I’ve always done was that I’ve put them to any available flat surface anytime and anywhere (desk, small cabinet, and rack in train box…). The same happened to my Fitbits too after first month. So mostly it was used only to monitor the activities. I’ve found and reported some issues related to daily usage. I was active in Fitbit community and they asked me to help with moderation of the forum. After a year I’ve minimized the usage only to count the steps.

(September 2020)
    After three years of tracking one I’ve charged the Blaze and went outside. It was a nice sunny day made for walking.
    After 2 hours the battery level of the Blaze decided to suddenly jump from 100% to 15% in less than a minute and the battery was completely discharged in less than 5 hours.
    In the end the Fitbit Blaze opened me a door back to the world of watches / wearables.
    It’s time to find my next watch.
    Rumours about the coming Oneplus watch dissolved. I’ve restored my unfinished T-Rex project. Iwas more active those days - watched a lot of smart-watch videos, read comparisons and also asked offline and online mates for their opinion…

(October 2020)
    I have ordered the T-Rex at the end of October.

Meet the T-Rex (finally)

In 7 days the shipment has arrived.
    At that day I’ve had a home office so I’ve postponed the unpacking since the end of work day. I’m sure I did not ever finish my home office so early.
    In the beginning there was a product box with a nice photo of the T-Rex and rows and columns of texts with its parameters. Looking from angle more stylish gentle texture of concentric circles are revealed.

PSX_20201125_004655.jpg

The T-Rex is made by Huami under the brand name Amazfit – maybe you heard about the popular Mi-Band series.
    Inside the box there was another one - white with the brand name. Both were printed with a metallic and reflective effect.

PSX_20201125_004513.jpg

Holding the top cover I’ve let the bottom part slip down.

PSX_20201125_004601.jpg

The T-Rex has appeared in its natural color - they call it army green.

PSX_20201125_004543.jpg

At that moment I’ve remembered the Oneplus BW2 olive green.
    On the front ring the white text and red markings are deeply written.

PSX_20201125_003746.jpg

T-Rex is available in 5 color finish: rock black, gun grey, camo green, army green and khaki.

Next moments were reserved to get acquainted with the new toy and initial photo shooting. 
    During first contacts I’ve immediately noticed that the strap is super comfortable – soft and elastic. In combination with the hard sturdy plastic body it is a predator – a friendly predator.

PSX_20201125_004154.jpg

Beauty and Beast
    - Design and parameters

Body: R47.7 x 13.5 mm, total weight 58g,water resistance, STD-MIL-810G certification, front Gorilla Glass 3,polymer body, metal buttons

Display: 1.3" AMOLED, 360 x 360 pixels, with AOD

Battery: 390mAh, 20 days use, 66 days extreme saving, 20 hours with active GPS

Sensors: PPG BioTracker™, 3-axis acceleration, geomagnetic, ambient light

Other: Bluetooth 5.0 + BLE, GPS+GLONASS

Comtibilty: with Android and iOS

In next minutes Rexi (domesticated) was on my left wrist. It has a big body but weights almost nothing, exactly 58g with straps – a dinosaur on a diet.
    It has four hardware buttons – Select, Back, Up and down. They are metallic and with a texture. The buttons are good to press with a gentle click feedback. It’s a nice addition to control the watch also in gloves or wet hands when gestures should fail.
    On the bottom there is a BioTracker PPG Bio-Tracking Optical Sensor to measure the hearth rate and a 2 pin magnetic charging port.

PSX_20201125_004209.jpg

The strap is attached with studs (proprietary solution) and on the whole length it has big perforations and grooves on the inner side.
    Since the first day I wear it most of the time on my wrist. It looks like I don’t need to put it down. Also during sleep I can left in on. I hope I will have the same feeling after a month (months)

Release the Kraken T-Rex
    - Start-up

It’s Time to reanimate the T-Rex.
    I have removed the very realistic watch-face sticker from the display and it showed me the black hole.
    Ok, press the [Select] button and say "Hello".

PSX_20201125_003831.jpg

I was asked to install the Zepp app and then to pair the watch using the QR code displayed on the display.
    PSX_20201129_222028.jpg

After a while the T-Rex started updating the firmware and actualised the GPS. In next 3 minutes it was ready to use.

PSX_20201129_221614.jpg

- Display and performance
    The OLED display of the T-Rex is readable on sun. The colors and resolution is sufficient.
    The scrolling and animation of swiping is followed by not so significant lags and during slow swipes frame drops are visible.

From the inside
    - Software and performance

It is driven by proprietary software – this has significant impact on battery life. There are 2 built in watch-faces and one replaceable. On the home-screen you can trigger swipe gestures in all 4 directions:
    - 👈 swipe to Left opens the Menu
    - 👉 swipe to the Right opens the Notifications
    - ☝️👇 swipe Up / Down loops through status, HR monitor, Quick Toggles

The Menu is stuffed with a list of apps like:
    - 14 Activities: running, treadmill, trail running, walking, elliptical, climbing, hiking, skiing, pool swimming, open water, triathlon, a generic “exercise” mode for the gym, and both outdoor and indoor cycling.
    - Time and events: Alarm, Reminder, Timer and Countdown
    - Compass
    - Weather
    - Find my phone: must have feature
    - Music: just simple playback control, no internal storage for music
    - Settings.

It has a 2 built-in GPS.
    The T-Rex most of the time tracks the steps, heart rate and sleep.

The watch communicates with the Zepp application. I have to say that till now the communication between the watch and phone is stable and without sync problems - in contrast to the former Fitbit which has many times sync problems (above 50% fail rate).
    With the app you can override one of the three built in watch-faces.

Where are you?
    - The GPS

The T-Rex has a dedicated A-GPS receiver. The GPS performance of the T-Rex is as good as often the A-GPS data are synced with the phone. The good accuracy was maybe achieved thanks to the plastic body.

Run, Tibi run...
    - The Battery

I’ve started the T-Rex on 4th November with battery charge level at 56%. The first charge I’ve made at 13th November. The battery was at 6%. During writing this text on 22nd November the battery is at 37%.
    I have charged only once since the beginning - from 10% to 100% the charging took around 2 hours. The charger snaps to the contacts on the back easily and only in one direction.

Rexi was mostly used as an all-day monitor without sport activities. I think charging it biweekly is quite good.

When GPS is activated the battery is juiced rapidly and it could be depleted during 20 hours.
    On the other side it offers a battery saver mode too – basic watch functionality and BW screen.
    It could last 2 months on a single charge they said.

I CHOOSE YOU...!
    - Watchfaces

Here are some sample faces.

PSX_20201125_003853.jpg

PSX_20201125_004048.jpg

More faces in upcoming updates

Is this the end?
    - My verdict

The T-Rex is a good combination of lightweight body, longer battery performance in compare with Wear OS alternatives, rugged appearance, and antenna friendly plastic. And last but not least the price is pocket friendly.

- I like the sturdiness of the watch. I’ve already many times hit metal doorframes with the T-Rex. Of course not by intention. It peeled the painting from the door frame. Let’s hope the T-Rex will be the winner in all next interactions like this.

- I like the battery performance and I wish it will perform same way for a lot of months.

- I would like to have more than one customized watch face. There is a community around a third party software for watch-faces. I’ve already trying some custom faces from there. And I’m planning to create my own which could fulfil my expectations.

- Does not have NFC– It would be nice to have it.

- Does not have a speaker – Maybe it would be good for alarms or notification.

- Does not have a microphone – I don’t need it.

- The vibration motor is rather gentle.

- There is a common issue with not supported special east Europe characters – I’ve already found it could be solved by changing the region; I’ll see.

- The strap is comfy and lightweight - Sometimes there is a fight between the T-Rex and a long sleeve cloths like jackets.

Yes, it is like a toy, as somebody told me. But I like it.

I hope after the current pandemic situations I will test it also in the mountains.

This is my second approach to publish the story of the T-Rex so I hope it was worth for a second chance.

Future updates of this review are not excluded.
    Leave a comment; spread like; feel free to ask if you have some question; I will try to answer.

Thank you for reading my first review ever written.

See you next time,

Tibi

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020

2. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Nov 20, 2020

TibiTibi , Nov 20, 2020 :
    I have started the thread 2 weeks ago. But the draft was discarded 😭. Now i need to hype myself to be motivated to write it again in same style.
    I still have not found what I'm looking for...

3. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 24, 2020

meatandy , Nov 24, 2020 :
    One Million Years B.C.

Alright , glad to have one of the three big holidays under belt.👍

4. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Nov 25, 2020

5. SRD.
    KitKat Nov 25, 2020

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Hi T-Rex ( Should be Tibirex) , It was a great review.
    The device is more like an activity tracker than a fitness band it seems.
    How is it's connectivity with smartphones ( both apple & OP )
    Plz post some pics of watch interface on your phone. (Zepp)
    "Without speaker & mic" ... A big point.

6. McJader
    KitKat Nov 25, 2020

7. script
    Moderator Moderator Nov 25, 2020

script , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Wow Tibi, really a good review. Full of information, plus very entertaining.

Congratulations.

If I would wear watches, I would use this one, after reading your review.

8. woSch

9. ellle
    Gingerbread Nov 25, 2020

10. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert Nov 25, 2020

11. TibiTibi

TibiTibi , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Thank you mates🙏

12. puccellino
    Lollipop Nov 25, 2020

puccellino , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Well done, nicely written, especially as you had to do it twice.

I like the watch, for some strange reason, it reminds me a bit of a Vostok, perhaps because of the colourful faces they had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I agree with you regarding the speaker, might be nice to have some, but I really like the idea of the different faces, hope you find good ones.

Look forward to a more in depth review once you've used it for a while.

🙂

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020

13. puccellino
    Lollipop Nov 25, 2020

puccellino , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Ahhhh, I'll tell the squirrels to hang onto the receipt for this

14. TibiTibi

TibiTibi , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Maybe [​IMG]

15. TibiTibi

16. Helder_DAlmeida
    Lollipop Nov 27, 2020

Helder_DAlmeida , Nov 27, 2020 :
    Great review TibiTibi! Easy reading with all the aspects covered! The watch looks really nice! Congratulations 🎊

buntycubal, ellle and TibiTibi like this.
  17. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Nov 27, 2020

TibiTibi , Nov 27, 2020 :
    Thanks Helder🙏

buntycubal likes this.
  18. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Nov 28, 2020

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020

19. TibiTibi

20. TibiTibi