Ambassadors Discuss - Best Tech Releases Of The Past Decade

1. Schafer
    US Brand Ambassador Dec 30, 2019

Schafer , Dec 30, 2019 :
    thumbnail_best_tech_releases.png

Hey everyone! We are Schafer (@Schafer ) and Jason (@scotty137 ); two Community Brand Ambassadors. Today we are going to talk about what we think are some of the best tech releases of the past decade. Within the past decade, technology has changed so quickly that it is impossible to predict what is in store for us 10 years from now, but within the past 10 years, we feel that the things listed below are just some of the significant parts to our past. Let us know in the comments what tech you think was the best from the past decade!

Echo.jpg

Amazon Echo
    Amazon’s Echo line up was released on November 6th, 2014 and has helped bring a personal AI assistant to the mainstream household. It has made it easier to get the news, weather, listen to music all hands-free. There are over 100 million Alexa devices that have been sold to date. But the major aspect and significance of the Amazon Echo are that it has drastically increased the overall development of AI. AI is becoming more and more important to our daily lives and is being used for a numerous of things ranging from banking, medical science, heavy industries (car industries), and air transport. Amazon’s Echo has been an important contributor to the significance of AI.

ub.jpeg

Uber/Lyft
    10 years ago if you needed to get somewhere far and you didn’t have a car you’d either have to ask a friend, call a taxi, or take the subway/train if you have one in your area. But because of Uber and Lyft, you are now able to get a ride anywhere you need all through an app. This simple idea has made it extremely easy and safe for someone to get from point A to point B which has changed the taxiing service for the better. Uber and Lyft have changed the face of commuting and have made people's lives easier.

googleg.jpg

Google Glass
    Ok yes, Google Glass is essentially a failed product that never got off the ground but the fact that it even existed at all was a huge contribution to the tech world in the past decade. The technology and innovations developed to create Google Glass have helped bring lots of helpful technologies into the present. The first is vocal recognition. Google Glass was operated almost entirely by voice commands and the information learned from developing Google Glass helped Google refine it’s voice command algorithms to improve its Google Assistant. Google Glass also helped the company make advances in its AI programming. Although Glass never made it onto the face of many customers, it helped usher in a lot of tech improvements.

rasp.jpg

Raspberry Pi
    Now onto one of my favorite little gadgets is the Raspberry Pi. For those of you that don’t know what this is, no, it is not an actual pie it is a cheap credit card size computer. It is aimed to teach all ages to explore computing and to learn how to program. For the new Raspberry Pi 4, it costs about $46 and for the Raspberry Pi 3B around $35. These little machines are very powerful devices and some of the common real-world uses of this computer are using it for a Web Server, Home Theater PC, Wifi Extender, Game Emulator, Network Attached Storage Drive (NAS), Security Camera, and many more. The Raspberry Pi is commonly used in hardware-based projects like developing some kind of robot or weather station. The ideas for what you can do with a Raspberry Pi are limitless which makes it one of the best affordable tech releases of the past decade.

4G.jpg

4G
    4G is the fourth generation of broadband cellular network technology which started in the year 2009 and began to grow bigger and bigger by 2013. 4G replaced 3G, allowing wireless internet to be accessed at much higher speeds. It is said to run 10 times faster than that of 3G which was a giant leap for technology. 4G has helped lead to great advancements in our technology-driven world. With faster speeds and increased bandwidth allows for a overall better user experience. Now with this decade coming to an end, as great as 4G was, it will soon be replaced by 5G and 5G will open up a new realm for technology.

wearables.jpg

Wearable Accessories
    Wearables have come quite a long way in just a few short years. We have had digital watches for a long time now but we have now entered the era of smartwatches. We have a tiny screen on our wrists that can track our activity, tell us our heart rate, sends text messages, and so much more. Not only that, but wireless headphones have advanced to the point of being completely wireless. Some of the newest wireless headphones quite literally never need to be plugged into anything.

Cloud.png

The Cloud
    10 years ago, storing pictures, music, documents, movies, and most other types of data on your personal computer or hard drive were the way of the world. In the past decade, we have come to not only store, but instantly access in real-time almost every piece of data we can think of. The days of plugging in hard drives are all but gone thanks to the likes of Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Photos, iCloud, etc. Not only do we now store and access our files remotely, but we also access and play them instantly, from anywhere thanks to streaming. Who would have thought 10 years ago that I could pick up my phone and instantly listen to all the music I could ever want to hear, without taking up a single bite of space on my phone? Or that I could instantly watch thousands of hours of content right from my computer without having to rip any DVD’s? Say what you will about the cloud, but it has quite literally transformed the way our world accesses and uses information.

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 12.01.15 PM.png

Smartphones
    Wait, hold on, smartphones have been around longer than 10 years. That’s quite true. In fact, the original iPhone was released in 2007 with the first Android phone releasing in 2008. However, at the time “smartphones” were still very much a niche product. Only the rich and the first adopters really used them. Most would agree that it wasn’t until around the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Galaxy S, both launched in 2010, that smartphones really began to take off and become a part of everyday life. Smartphones are so ubiquitous nowadays that it's hard to believe most of us have only really been using them for about 10 years.

2. Starcommander
    Lollipop Dec 30, 2019

Starcommander , Dec 30, 2019 :
    The best technology of the decade, I believe is the evolution of battery industry and quick charging. I cannot imagine charging for hours!

3. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Dec 30, 2019

dsmonteiro , Dec 30, 2019 :
    This. One hundred percent this.

I currently have two Raspberry Pi's at my desk:
    A retired Raspberry 2 waiting for a second life (maybe a weather station project with my dad) and a Raspberry Pi 4 2GB set up as a Plex Media Server, Samba Server to act as NAS, Pi-Hole for adblocking and a DNS Server (and a few other things to be added in the future).

It's crazy how this tiny bit of tech can do so much for so little.

keithnyc, superplus, TibiTibi and 8 others like this.
  4. Schafer

Schafer , via OnePlus 7T , Dec 30, 2019 :
    That's a good one! I can't imagine what it would be like to not have fast charging, especially warp charging. It's definitely changed how I go around my day.

5. Schafer

I absolutely love Raspberry pis. They are so powerful for such small pieces of tech. I've used my 3B model to play retro games, act as my own NAS file backup, and to learn Linux. I haven't thought about it it for Plex, I'll have to try it. I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 with 6TB of storage for movies and a 3rd gen I5

6. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Dec 30, 2019

dsmonteiro , Dec 30, 2019 :
    Works perfectly if you're not doing any transcoding. I just want it for my home network.

7. Schafer

Interesting, that's still pretty cool! I am amazed how this little, low power piece of tech can handle that. I share mine with a bunch friends so it might not work for me but I can definitely see it working if I didn't share my library.

keithnyc and MosheG1 like this.
  8. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 30, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 30, 2019 :
    cool thread...
    would you consider wireless headphones a pretty important change combine with streaming services like Netflix and Spotify allow constant entertainment and Bluetooth headphones are everywhere!

9. F1556204523619
    Froyo Dec 30, 2019

F1556204523619 , Dec 30, 2019 :
    I would posit throwing a few more items onto this list:

Tablets: Coming after the smartphones, the introduction of tablet interfaces (be they iPad or Samsung/Android) on larger screens (and keyboard accessories) proved an impetus for the lowering of prices for laptop computers.

Chromebooks: Call them the '2' to the '1' of tablets in the 1-2 punch on lowering the costs of laptops in general. Google's introduction of the Chrome OS with its low cost of entry to a viable computing environment further helped to make computers in general more approachable. True, they don't have the full suite of apps that you'll find on a Windows or OS X system - but they lower the price of admission considerably for the general populace.

The "Holy Quartet": The paradigm shift that lots of us can now experience through the combination of Cloud computing, advances in battery technology (be they external packs or internal to smartphones/laptops), 4G/LTE (directly or as a hotspot) and affordable smartphones/tablets/laptops. We are no longer nearly as tethered to a single place/time to engage in computing/Internet operations as we once were. And our world's been turned upside-down (both good and bad) because of it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019

G_plusone, Schafer and Ruby G. like this.
  10. scotty137

scotty137 , Dec 30, 2019 :
    Yes indeed! Wireless headphones were in fact on our list but we didn't want to overload the post with too many products. Definitely a huge leap forward in the past decade. Thanks for commenting!

G_plusone, F1556204523619 and MosheG1 like this.
  11. TAMIL_VANAN
    Donut Dec 30, 2019

TAMIL_VANAN , via OnePlus 7 , Dec 30, 2019 :
    ELECTRIC VEHICLES (EV'S) :
    EV's are also the best tech releases of this decade and it changes the perspective of fossil fuels rules the world.

G_plusone and Schafer like this.
  12. F1556204523619
    Froyo Dec 30, 2019

F1556204523619 , Dec 30, 2019 :
    To your point, Tamil - I'd specifically cite Tesla or, rather, Elon Musk's decision to make all of Tesla's EV patents free to use.

G_plusone, MosheG1 and Schafer like this.
  13. Manavparakh02
    Donut Dec 31, 2019

Manavparakh02 , Dec 31, 2019 :
    I think the best tech evolution is in the smartphones. Tgey are the ones that lead us to this new age of one plus. Long live one plus

G_plusone and Schafer like this.
  14. SWAPPYONE
    Gingerbread Dec 31, 2019

SWAPPYONE , via OnePlus 7 , Dec 31, 2019 :
    Nice one to be addressed @Schafer
    My personal favourite is Charging technologies and evolved batteries along side...I guess there is no denying this fact.
    Well since it's open to all i guess people might find many more baffling and mind blowing tech from all around.
    Happy New year Guys ....

@OnePlus #NeverSettle

Manavparakh02, G_plusone and Schafer like this.
  15. Anilcharan888
    Cupcake Dec 31, 2019

A1576565507306 and G_plusone like this.
  16. TAMIL_VANAN
    Donut Dec 31, 2019

TAMIL_VANAN , via OnePlus 7 , Dec 31, 2019 :
    No, It's not like that. At least it reduce the usage of fossil fuels. because it took lot of innocent lives in Middle East.

Anilcharan888 and G_plusone like this.
  17. F1556204523619
    Froyo Dec 31, 2019

F1556204523619 , Dec 31, 2019 :
    I agree with you regarding the situation in the Middle East. But if Musk hadn't made his patents free, then we wouldn't be seeing the build-out of the infrastructure now to make these kinds of cars viable (at least in the U.S.). We wouldn't be so close to a tipping point now where people are starting to entertain EV's as their primary (if not only) vehicle.

The concept of an electric car has been around since the late 1890's. But the idea of a viable electric car that people would want to buy that an auto company got behind to the point of "critical mass", that's a much more recent development.

Anilcharan888 and G_plusone like this.
  18. femiuex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 31, 2019

G_plusone and F1556204523619 like this.
  19. riffraff81
    KitKat Dec 31, 2019

20. A1576565507306
    Froyo Jan 1, 2020

A1576565507306 , Jan 1, 2020 :
    i made project on raspberry pi 3 using python codes which got selected in competition and college highlighted my project on their website
    1577897107443.jpg
    🥰🥰

Schafer, F1556204523619 and G_plusone like this.