Ambient display and Double tap to wake not working

1. Trickydd Eclair May 22, 2019

2. gideonbronte Froyo May 22, 2019

gideonbronte, May 22, 2019 :
    Double tap to wake is definitely having issues....thanks for the thread. Hopefully others add their voice

3. G_Meghanadh_Reddy_WHfw Cupcake May 22, 2019

4. wtosh Ice Cream Sandwich May 22, 2019

wtosh, May 22, 2019 :
    From what I seen, it works when you have a light source so you won't be able to double tap to wake up in a dark room.

5. ruimjpedro Eclair May 22, 2019

ruimjpedro, May 22, 2019 :
    Makes sense, so you don't "double tap" by mistake when you have it on the pocket, oneplus might just need to adjust the lighting settings for double tap.

6. nort10 Cupcake May 22, 2019

nort10, May 22, 2019 :
    I'd be interested to know if this issue was fixed after you turned off "screen saver". After I did this, mine instantly worked again. Might make sense with the worked then it didn't if the screen saver turned on.

7. JoseReyes69 Gingerbread May 22, 2019

JoseReyes69, May 22, 2019 :
    I'm on OS 9.5.3 GM21AA and double tap does not work at all for me. I do get screen wake for notifications during daylight, not so much in the dark.
    I see some people mentioning that their on a different version of OS like 9.5.4 or 9.5.5 for us in the US I've only seen the one I'm on.

8. john.fernandezIT Eclair May 22, 2019

john.fernandezIT, May 22, 2019 :
    Interesting... Mine just stopped working as well. Was perfectly fine this morning but now its not responding to double-tap??? Haven't changed any settings I'm aware of????

I hope this is not a sign of things to come!!!

9. AFK_Alex Cupcake May 22, 2019

AFK_Alex, May 22, 2019 :
    I just started having the problem now that it won't wake when I tap or lift the display, I have to use the power button. After reading the part about the light I just turned on the lights in my room and now it works.

[Edit]
    Now it suddenly works in dark rooms again; both the tap to wake and lift to wake. I'm so confused :)

Last edited: May 22, 2019

10. john.fernandezIT Eclair May 22, 2019

Huh!! Went to Settings > Display > Ambient Display...

Had to toggle "When to show" off and on. "New notifications" toggle was also off.
    I am completely sure I had all that set to on.

"What" could have done this?????

11. Trickydd Eclair May 22, 2019

Trickydd, May 22, 2019 :
    This was the solution! It instantly started to work again after I turned off the screen saver feature [e]263a[/e]️ Thank you!

12. john.fernandezIT Eclair May 22, 2019

Ok. The "wake" options apparently only work in brightly lit rooms!! Darker the room the more inconsistent the function becomes. It should based on screen contact or device motion. Not available light!!! This is not a well designed function at all!!!!

Does OnePlus monitor this forum?? If not we need to get busy reporting poor features such as these. An Update should be able to remedy these type of things.

Last edited: May 22, 2019

StudioRobot81 likes this.
  13. JoseReyes69 Gingerbread May 22, 2019

JoseReyes69, May 22, 2019 :
    I just double checked the screen off gestures and sure enough the double tap to wake was set to off. Set it to on and now the double tap to wake is working.

14. john.fernandezIT Eclair May 22, 2019

You are correct. There are several areas that impact this function. Needs clarity...

JoseReyes69 likes this.
  15. StudioRobot81 Cupcake May 22, 2019

StudioRobot81, May 22, 2019 :
    Hello !
    I have the same problem. Always on display does not work in the dark. The most annoying is that it is impossible to turn on the flashlight or do other things with quick gestures.
    Please fix it OnePlus

john.fernandezIT likes this.
  16. squirel Eclair May 23, 2019

squirel, May 23, 2019 :
    Just check my phone double tap only works when it's in a well-lit environment it does not work when the lights is off. Which is annoying, the whole point of having a flashlight gesture is so you can turn the flashlight on in the dark. hope they come with a quick fix

17. NoMysz Cupcake May 23, 2019

NoMysz, May 23, 2019 :

18. NoMysz Cupcake May 23, 2019

19. gideonbronte Froyo May 23, 2019

20. gravage Eclair May 23, 2019

gravage, May 23, 2019 :
    The people here saying that it has to do with light are right. I have tested this myself. Even in fairly lit rooms, if the light isn't shining directly on the ambient light sensor, Ambient Display, double-tap-to-wake, and lift-to-wake are all completely disabled. If you shine a flashlight on the light sensor, they suddenly become available. This means that if you aren't using the phone in broad daylight or VERY well lit rooms, you have to hit the power button. Aside from the inconsistency of functionality that creates, I haven't used a power button to wake my phone in 3 years. I certainly hope they plan to fix this soon, as I'm of a mind to return the phone right now. This makes it very annoying to use on a daily basis for me. I keep my house fairly dark at night when I'm watching TV.