Answered Ambient display via OnePlus 8T

1. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Nov 9, 2020

Nikhil_Bhilai , via OnePlus 8T , Nov 9, 2020 :
    Hello guys, i want to ask a question: does ambient display uses light sensor and adjusts it's brightness according to the light around the phone whenever we raise to wake up the phone WHEN ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS IS DISABLED??

2. mojoyoyo77
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Nov 9, 2020

mojoyoyo77 , Nov 9, 2020 :
    I think not, but I couldn't be sure, since I don't use adaptive brightness

Nikhil_Bhilai likes this.
  3. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Nov 9, 2020

So does this mean that the brightness of the ambient display depends upon the screen brightness set on the phone?

4. mojoyoyo77

Actually, since I always have quite low brightness, I had not observed it, the level of brightness that you have does also include the ambient screen, I just tried it.
    So it is quite possible that the adaptive brightness also regulates the intensity on the ambient screen.

5. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Nov 9, 2020

Okay i got that but my question is for example, suppose if i disable the adaptive brightness and set the screen brightness to 25% so the brightness of the ambient display which i will see when i raise my phone to wake up will be according to the 25% of the screen brightness set or according to the light around my phone?

mojoyoyo77 likes this.
  6. mojoyoyo77

Yes, you can try it in a moment, put the brightness very high and then pick up your phone, you will see that the intensity is much higher

7. mojoyoyo77

What I do not know is if the adaptive brightness also influences the case of having it activated, I will try to find out and tell you ...

8. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Nov 9, 2020

Thank you so much for your replies... actually i asked this question because i have an issue with the ambient display of my One Plus 8T and the issue is i have disabled adaptive brightness and my screen brightness is set to 25% and sometimes (it happens 2-3 or 4 times in the entire day) whenever i lift my phone to wake up the ambient display, it wakes up but at the very low brightness of 0% as if i have kept my phone on 0% brightness, i again lay it flat and again lift to wake up the ambient display to match it's brightness to the screen brightness i have set. I don't know what could be the issue and what should i do and also, i have applied no tempered glass just the default screen guard is applied which we get pre-applied on the phone.

9. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Nov 9, 2020

Thank you so much...i am glad, you are so kind and helpful :)

10. AnubhavJuneja
    Cupcake Aug 16, 2021

AnubhavJuneja , Aug 16, 2021 :
    Hey I am facing the same issue on my OnePlus 9R Indian Variant(It's a rebranded 8T). Sometimes the ambient display brightness becomes very low when I pick my phone. I also have adaptive brightness disabled.Have you found a fix ?

11. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Aug 16, 2021

Nikhil_Bhilai , via OnePlus 8T , Aug 16, 2021 :
    After these many days of having asked this query to a lot of people...i came to know that it's actually not a bug...but a feature to save battery to some extent and also to avoid screen burn issue... it's the normal behaviour of ambient display on OP phones they say...so you should also not worry too much about this... it's normal...

AnubhavJuneja likes this.
  12. AnubhavJuneja
    Cupcake Aug 16, 2021

AnubhavJuneja , via OnePlus 9R , Aug 16, 2021 :
    Ohh I see. Thank you so much for the quick reply.!

13. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Aug 16, 2021