[Submitted] Ambient Displays isn't turning off when you activate it during night with "raise phone" gesture

1. Sykora
    Froyo Oct 11, 2019

Sykora , Oct 11, 2019 :
    So I noticed this problem. When I go to sleep at 11pm and I wake up at 3 or 4am, I'm picking up the phone to check the time (I'm not unlocking it and I'm not doing the "tap to wake" gesture). I'm just raising the phone and then the ambient display activates. I check the time and lay the phone back down. I noticed that the ambient display stays alive for more than 5+ minutes (haven't checked how long). I have to unlock and lock the phone again so the ambient display turns off. After unlocking and locking the phone again, the ambient display won't get stuck the next time I raise my phone. So I think something goes on deep-sleep and that's why the ambient display stays alive.

It's a bit concerning because of the possible screen burn in when you don't notice this.

2. Sykora
    Froyo Oct 27, 2019

3. Sykora
    Froyo Nov 15, 2019

4. Sykora
    Froyo Nov 21, 2019

5. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

6. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

Nikhil_Bhilai , Jan 11, 2021 :
    Is that bug now solved for you?? Because i have this exact same bug on my OnePlus 8T

7. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

8. Sykora
    Froyo Jan 11, 2021

Sykora , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 11, 2021 :
    No its not solved. They don't care about the bug. People already complained that they have a Screen burn-in because of this problem.

Nikhil_Bhilai likes this.
  9. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

Nikhil_Bhilai , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 11, 2021 :
    Is this issue been reported by a lot of people?

10. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

11. CHAUHAN_AMIT
    Froyo Jan 12, 2021

CHAUHAN_AMIT , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 12, 2021 :
    I faced it today at 6:11am, I think it has something to do with deep sleep & raise to wake up & AOD. The screen didn't go off on its own.
    Once I turned the screen off, its back to normal. Raised the phone, AOD comes and goes off after few seconds.

12. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2021

Nikhil_Bhilai , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 12, 2021 :
    Yes, you are right. I did a factory reset yesterday on my phone and to my surprise, the problem is gone!!! I didn't faced this issue the previous night but i doubt it may again show up 😑

13. CHAUHAN_AMIT
    Froyo Jan 12, 2021

14. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2021

Yes it is...it was a pain for me... But i wanted to see that what will happen if i reset. I haven't faced the issue previous night but i am curious to observe the behaviour of ambient display over time. It may show again or may not.

15. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2021

So is it the normal behaviour or a bug? Will it be solved later with an update? Have you reported about this issue as feedback ti the devs? I have reported this issue two days ago.

16. CHAUHAN_AMIT
    Froyo Jan 12, 2021

CHAUHAN_AMIT , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 12, 2021 :
    It can't be a normal behaviour, its definitely a bug !

Sykora and Nikhil_Bhilai like this.
  17. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2021

18. Akhilbuddha
    Eclair Jan 12, 2021

19. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2021

What if we choose 'don't optimise' from battery optimization option for ambient display?

20. Nikhil_Bhilai
    Honeycomb Jan 31, 2021

Nikhil_Bhilai , Jan 31, 2021 :
    I have figured it out, it's not a bug, it's because of the feature of the OS in battery settings. Go to settings>>battery>>battery optimization>>tap on top right corner of three dots>>advanced optimization>> turn off sleep standby optimization. I have been testing after disabling this since 10 days now and ambient display works as it should even if i wake up to check the time in middle of the night, the ambient display sleeps after few seconds as normal. I came across this solution as one day in the middle of the night, i woke up at around 3:30 am and i lift the phone to check the time the ambient display didn't turned off then i pressed the power button and on the lock screen, there was a message written by the OS setting 'sleep standby optimization' enabled then i went to that option and disabled it and from then onwards every night i wake up to check the time and i lift my phone to wake up ambient display, it sleeps after few seconds as it should. So this is not a bug, i can confirm. It's an OS feature which tracks intelligently over time when you fall asleep, it puts the phone in sleep mode as well to save as much battery as it can but i have noticed no change in battery life after disabling this feature my battery performance is same as before.

Attached Files: