An update about Open Beta 12 for OnePlus 7 Pro and 7

1. Manu J.
    Global Product Operations Manager Staff Member Apr 25, 2020

Manu J. , Apr 25, 2020 :
    Update April 30:
    The OS team has been working around the clock to fix the issue, to ensure the lock screen issues some of you faced won't happen again. We're now going through all the internal steps needed to release the new Open Beta build and expect to do it so during early May.
    ____​

Hey everyone,

Open Beta 12 for OnePlus 7/7Pro was partially released on April 18. Regrettably, we had to stop the rollout after receiving reports from some users facing unlock issues. We immediately had direct one-on-one contact with affected users and have been closely following up on it since then.

We assign great importance to the issues reported by our users at the open beta stage. Therefore, we have assigned a special troubleshooting team to verify and investigate it further. We've made some progress; however, our analysis is primarily based on the limited cases we've received. The issue is quite complex as many mechanisms could trigger the unlock error, and it will take some time for us to find the exact solution.

Instead of rushing to release a flawed OBT version, we believe that postponing the release will guarantee an OxygenOS experience in line with your expectations. OBT builds can sometimes be unstable; our beta testers go through the builds, knowing it could result in bugs. We're thankful for their relentless contribution to ensure quality stable builds for the rest of the community, while also helping shape numerous features.

We sincerely apologize to the users affected by this release. Please stay tuned to OnePlus announcements in Community to get the latest information about the following open beta version release. We appreciate your patience in this matter.

Thank you for your support.

Never Settle.

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member May 7, 2020

Stickied Post

3. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Apr 25, 2020

AnonymousWP , Apr 25, 2020 :
    Thanks for the excuses. However, how didn't OnePlus catch this in either the daily, internal builds nor the closed beta (weekly) builds?

4. F_Rakshit_Vijayvargiya_O
    Cupcake Apr 25, 2020

F_Rakshit_Vijayvargiya_O , Apr 25, 2020 :
    my phone is connected to wifi. But after every internal my network is lost which disconnects my wifi too. the network comes back in 10-15 secs but my calls gets disconnected. totally new thread found which is creating problem. I have formatted my phone then too same problem is arising

6. NateDev
    Honeycomb Apr 25, 2020

NateDev , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 25, 2020 :
    Thanks for the update. Always better to wait a bit for the update then potentially have further issues just to get the update out, like you mentioned.

However, I would've expected something like this to be caught in either internal testing or closed beta. Like c'mon, this bug can cause people to permanently lose their phones data. Even though it's beta and "bugs are expected", in my opinion being locked out of your phone completely is just too far.

Hopefully a sufficient fix can come in both Beta 12 when it's re-released and for the users who are currently already affected by the unlocking bug.

7. wolf4477
    Froyo Apr 25, 2020

8. XRaptor29
    Gingerbread Apr 25, 2020

XRaptor29 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 25, 2020 :
    It's around 800 nits I believe.

9. thedarkpresence_
    Gingerbread Apr 25, 2020

thedarkpresence_ , Apr 25, 2020 :
    Thank you for the update. But it's kind of embarrassing this happened as beta 12 was already delayed, like after a month from beta 11. Not to mention prior multiple(6-7, I've lost the count) betas for 7/7pro have been delayed.
    Hope you guys know and are confident that you can handle updates for so many devices at the same pace you used to do. It used to be 2 devices a year. You made it 4 last year, which may or may not become 6 this year with the extra OnePlus Z/ZT. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Please don't become like other companies.

10. JmcRepair33
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 25, 2020

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020

11. insomnia77
    Froyo Apr 25, 2020

insomnia77 , Apr 25, 2020 :
    I'd rather have no selfie camera then a whole Punch. Waste of a screen 1100nit screen in my opinion.

12. aNGERY
    Donut Apr 25, 2020

aNGERY , Apr 25, 2020 :
    This is a risk you take with beta software. If you want to be on the cutting edge of software updates, there's a risk things slip through the cracks.

There are multiple people using OB12 with no issue.

My phone uses pattern unlock and fingerprint, and OB12 has been flawless.

They didn't catch it because it's not doing it on every device. If it were, it wouldn't have slipped through the cracks.

13. Joey463
    Honeycomb Apr 25, 2020

Joey463 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 25, 2020 :
    This seems like an odd bug to make it through internal testing. I know people have said this above me. But this needs being said over and over again. A bug this damaging and quite frankly easy to replicate shouldn't make in to open beta.

I respect the fact that the beta program is expected to have bugs. It comes with the package. But there are some bugs expected to be squashed and this falls in that category.

H1560321929485 likes this.
  14. Joey463
    Honeycomb Apr 25, 2020

Joey463 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 25, 2020 :
    To also add to my comment above I Always remove my security unlock before updating and reapplying it again after installing. I remember this happening with one of the old android version updates. I've stuck to this habit since then. So I recommend anyone on beta do the same from now on to be on the safe side.

H1560321929485 and SeddyOP like this.
  16. ankitsinghai8080
    Cupcake Apr 25, 2020

17. Batman360 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Apr 25, 2020 :
    This is really sad to see, i will never trust any builds may it be stable or open beta. Will always backup before updating and also read all the reviews and then update after 2-3 days whe everything is stable.
    All the help i got was to wipe my data. No troubleshooting was provided from any of the customer support or bug hunters.
    Bugs are one things and getting users locked out of their own device is other, kindly test all the important scenarios before releasing a build beta or not, this was a major issue which resulted in data loss.

18. zdanuga
    Cupcake Apr 25, 2020

zdanuga , Apr 25, 2020 :
    Здравствуйте я поставил 12 бету и не одной проблемы перечисленные вами не наблюдаю. Хорошей работы!

19. ididitfirst
    Froyo Apr 25, 2020

ididitfirst , Apr 25, 2020 :

20. ididitfirst
    Froyo Apr 25, 2020

ididitfirst , Apr 25, 2020 :
    i would like to know what happened to the 7 pro 12/256. i can not afford the 8 pro 12/256, so was the 7 pro 12/256 discontinued? it is no where on your site.

H1560321929485 and ldwp27 like this.
  21. TheCrazyStupidGamer , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 25, 2020 :
    I'm sorry... what is the apology about? everyone who installed the beta version should know that they were trading away stability in favour of being on the bleeding edge. I believe it has been mentioned on the download page for the beta too. Even if it isn't though, the name itself suggests that it's not yet fully polished and some issues, some of which extremely serious, can popup.
    I myself was one of the people who's phone got locked out. And I was pissed for a while, but I know this wouldn't have happened on the stable build and I waived my rights to blame OnePlus when I installed the beta builds. OnePlus is being generous by apologising and people are still pissed about some or the other things. what a shame...