Android 12 Beta is bricking OnePlus 9 phones — here's how to fix it

1. philos64
    Community Hero 2020 May 19, 2021

philos64 , May 19, 2021 :
    The fix is easy, but you need to get back to Android 11

At Google I/O today, we got to meet Android 12's hot new interface. Not only would Pixel phones get an early taste, but phones from 10+ other OEMs, including OnePlus, are lining up to give their own users a peek at the new 12 Beta. While OnePlus is making it available for both the new OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro, it sounds like some users are facing pretty severe headaches — here's how to get your phone fixed if testing the beta goes wrong.

If you want to install this beta, make sure to unlock your phone's bootloader *before* installing the beta. If you don't, your phone will not be able to get past the setup process where the device verifies your old Google account for FRP (factory reset protection). Toggling OEM Unlock in developer options disables this check.

If you're like me and tried updating without unlocking your bootloader and unfortunately soft bricked your OnePlus 9 device (whoops), don't worry; I made this mistake on my OnePlus 9 Pro.

The good news is that this kind of bricking is easy to fix with an EDL restore; that means restoring your phone with a factory image using a Qualcomm chipset-level flash. XDA Developers has a great guide with links on how to restore your phone using EDL. The process is quite temperamental sometimes, but if you just keep trying it should end up working. After this experience if you still want to experiment with Android 12, you could either wait for the official Open Betas in a few months or unlock the bootloader and try again.

As of the time we publish, OnePlus has pulled the OTA updates for the Android 12 beta because of this bricking issue, but it's still good to remember that if this does happen again, an EDL restore will be able to fix your issue. If you don't want to risk your phone and want to see what's new with Android 12, live vicariously through us and check out all our coverage from Google I/O.

A news from Android Police by Max Weinbach

Revive your OnePlus 9, 9 Pro, and 9R back to factory firmware with these unbrick packages
    Bricking your Android device often feels like a disaster in real life. For many devices, there’s no clear-cut method or publicly available tool that will help you out in such a situation. Rooting, aftermarket kernels, and custom ROMs usually take much of the press and popularity, but tools that help users fix a hard-bricked device are every bit as important. Thankfully, users of the OnePlus 9 series are now lucky enough to have individual unbrick packages for the regular OnePlus 9, OnePlus 9 Pro, and the OnePlus 9R available for download on our forums.

Commonly known as the “MsmDownloadTool,” OnePlus’ low-level flashing program makes use of the underlying Qualcomm SoC’s Emergency Download Mode (EDL). You will need to have a PC running Microsoft Windows 7 or newer, as the unbrick package isn’t compatible with Linux and macOS. A Windows VM may work, but not recommended.

The workflow of the unbrick package is pretty simple. Just make sure your OnePlus 9/9 Pro/9R is switched off, then hold down both volume up and volume down buttons when plugging your phone back into your PC. The phone should boot into the EDL mode at this point, which can be easily verified by searching for a new “QDLOADER 9008” entry (or “QHUSB_BULK”, if the driver isn’t properly installed) under Device Manager. Once it connects, simply open the appropriate tool for your model, select “User type” as “Other”, click on “Target” button to verify the device variant, press “Start”, and you’re good to go.

Having access to the unbrick tool is quite a better and substantially less time-consuming alternative than shipping your bricked device back to OnePlus or sending it to a repair shop. Keep in mind that your phone will be completely wiped out during the revival process and the bootloader will be re-locked. In the circumstances, that’s not such a big deal, given that you can easily unlock again, but it’s worth noting.

I hope this post has helped you, and I would like to highlight the posts from Android Police and XDA-Developpers

Never Settle.

Last edited: May 19, 2021

2. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 May 19, 2021

Mr. BG , May 19, 2021 :
    Great thread!

@dsmonteiro

Please link in the A12 dev thread and pin, thanks...

Hopefully those who didn't even think to unlock before flashing that very alpha Developer version are able to follow your instruction instead of asking Oneplus to "fix this ASAP" or :rolleyes: "will never buy again"

Sometime this place starts to feel like kindergarten, you need to make sure everything is fully idiot proof or some many will f**k things up because "TL;DR, just flashed"

Last edited: May 20, 2021

3. KluGe
    Lollipop May 19, 2021

KluGe , May 19, 2021 :
    Completely nailed it. :)

But your post too is TL;DR for those some many that will cry afterwards "your fault". :(

otto2, KaranRIyer and Mr. BG like this.
  4. hvh
    Cupcake May 19, 2021

hvh , May 19, 2021 :
    OnePlus 9 Pro doesn't have "All variants"
    I can't get back to live my LE2120 :( due to no MSM Tool for it....

Never Settle.

5. Akashgujjar , via OnePlus Community App , May 22, 2021 :
    I tried all method using msm tool to unbrick my device but its stock on prama preload failed ...fater successfully connected my device in mam tool ....everything is perfect like using window 10 do all method ...driver successful connected and using original cable all method I do but its stuck when I start button its stuck on say parma preload failed .any suggestion ....I think its show because boot locked ?

7. Vipindeep
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2021

8. H1622671558155
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2021

9. derherrm
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2021

derherrm , Jun 6, 2021 :
    Hello there, I am encountering the same problem. I am stuck in edl and can do anything else...anyway, with the msm tool I am not able to get any data onto the phone.

With the newest version of windows you have to be in the special windows mode without certified drivers. Than you are able to install the qualcomm drivers and the device is correctly recognized.

But every time I try to install data via MSM (Indian, global), the following error occurred after "start download firehose binary" for 18sec. "Sahara communication error".

I have rebooted the device several times (power button an +loudness), no change.

Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021

10. The Dinosaur
    Gingerbread Jun 26, 2021

The Dinosaur , Jun 26, 2021 :
    Very Useful info. Now get ready to answer questions like “ When we’ll receive Android 12 in our Oneplus 5T” 😹

11. philos64
    Community Hero 2020 Jun 27, 2021

philos64 , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 27, 2021 :
    I think it will not be under OxygenOS but under LineageOS this should be possible 🤔😉.
    Enjoy good time with your 5T

The Dinosaur likes this.
  12. The Dinosaur
    Gingerbread Jul 4, 2021

The Dinosaur , Jul 4, 2021 :
    You know I was kidding. I am having a 7T.

13. tywolcot
    Cupcake Jul 17, 2021