android auto not working

1. sajdog
    Donut Jul 2, 2019

sajdog , Jul 2, 2019 :
    Car won't recognise phone through USB cable although bt works... Any suggestions

2. BIB74000
    Donut Jul 9, 2019

3. Sir_Pool_de_Float_MD
    Gingerbread Jul 9, 2019

Sir_Pool_de_Float_MD , Jul 9, 2019 :
    No issues here with 3 different vehicles. Try a different cable. There's a thread on Reddit for this, and some have confirmed that certain cars don't like the OP cable.

4. BIB74000
    Donut Jul 9, 2019

BIB74000 , Jul 9, 2019 :
    have you got the link for reggedit ....i change the cable but it not Work's
    thanks

5. BIB74000
    Donut Jul 9, 2019

6. Dwstudeman
    Cupcake Jul 10, 2019

Dwstudeman , Jul 10, 2019 :
    Cars or systems that happen to be in said car? Manufacturers use X number of systems that are shared across their product line, any vehicle tuning would have nothing to do with the USB stack in the head unit.

In the case of aftermarket, I doubt the Alpine cares what vehicle it is in.

The issue is that the 7 Pro does not automatically switch to and remain in USB PTP mode which has nothing to do with any cable tried on two different vehicles. Overriding to PTP manually finally gets it working.

If an OTG cable meets protocol which they all likely do, it's on the phone itself at that point. I will reiterate that it is a USB PTP issue in the phone itself.

7. Dwstudeman
    Cupcake Jul 10, 2019

Dwstudeman , Jul 10, 2019 :
    No
    The same thing can be achieved by simply switching USB to PTP mode, sometimes several times. Talk about being discouraged from using Android Auto on short trips, the 7 Pro has this feature, er bug.

As an aside, I will say that once Android Auto is working, the amount of apps available, Neutron Player and even VLC now is getting very large. When I first used Android Auto last fall there was only a handful. Neutron Player works extremely well for playing your collection of Flac albums. It limits you to how much you can scroll while moving but has the search by first letter once artist or album is selected, search by artist for example > V > Van Halen > Pick an album, start playing. Alpha Player which is specific to streaming Soma FM stations has the same search ability. Napster, Tidal and others are all available in Android Auto now, want to be read a book? Audible is there now as well. Now OnePlus, fix PTP please!

8. Sir_Pool_de_Float_MD
    Gingerbread Jul 11, 2019

Sir_Pool_de_Float_MD , Jul 11, 2019 :
    I have used it in Hyundai, Kia vehicles I've owned, plus several loaners while they were in the shop. From memory, that list is: 2015 Sonata, 2017 Tucson, 2018 Sonata, 2018 Cadenza, and a handful of loaners from GM while cars were in for service

I use a braided cable that I originally bought when my Samsung cable was acting up. I don't have to make any changes on the phone to USB configuration. Just plug in and go.

9. Sir_Pool_de_Float_MD
    Gingerbread Jul 11, 2019

Sir_Pool_de_Float_MD , Jul 11, 2019 :
    I don't have to change any settings for my OP7 Pro to activate Android Auto on my Kia Cadenza. I plug it in after starting the car, and AA appears automatically on my radio. This has been the same for me on a Hyundai Tucson, the only other car I've used AA in since getting the OP7 Pro. But the same behavior described is how I've used it since I got my Sonata in 2015, which was the first car in the US to support AA.

10. Dwstudeman
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2019

Dwstudeman , Jul 14, 2019 :
    I have managed to get Android Auto working with the 7 Pro by unplugging and plugging it back in, sometimes only once, sometimes five times. There have been rare times where it worked the first time.

What I really need is a short USB-C OTG cable, I don't need three feet where the phone is stored near the jack, just several inches. Sir_Pool_de_Float_MD, is your braided cable a short one?

PS: I too have Nebula Blue, it's pretty.

11. BIB74000
    Donut Jul 14, 2019

12. Dwstudeman
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2019

Ok, apparently some cables don't behave per design. I was at an Autozone today picking up a vacuum check valve for my air conditioning/heating and decided to wander. I saw some USB-C cables made by Blaupunkt, nicely braided and three feet long which I do not need and bought one. So far three times it works every time, I'll see if this keeps up. It's nice to start up the car and have it available like we are supposed to.

I'm interested in some nice red six inch TT&C cables that are on Amazon, one reviewer said they worked with Android Auto where the stock Samsung one was hit and miss for him. Some of the cheaper short cables there were shown to burn up on one end according to a few reviewers who attached pictures. Even worse was that these cheaper cables were USB 2 to USB-C, this is a poor design decision as USB-C is touted as USB 3 capable, USB 3 is capable of a lot more current than earlier ones, USB 1.1 only allows 0.5 amps, you want over 2 amps at least.

I'm not sure if this mixed USB protocol has anything to do with the Android Auto sync issue of the flimsy cables. We will see.

13. AntStephenson
    Gingerbread Jul 14, 2019

14. Dwstudeman
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2019

The Blaupunkt cable I picked up does not have the problem so far but it's 3 feet which is more than 2 feet too long for my application. What is different about the Blaupunkt cable is that it is thicker and higher current capability (2.4a) than the cheap thin cable from one of my Samsungs of yore. Basically all my USB-C cables other than what came with the phone are thin and likely not capable of what the C connector is capable of.

I am using an Alpine X208U with Alpine's HDMI/USB accessory jack with cloth wrapped cables installed into the compartment of my center floor console so I can put the phone in and close the door and not see it while driving.

15. Dwstudeman
    Cupcake Jul 15, 2019

Dwstudeman , Jul 15, 2019 :
    Ok, it might be helpful to tell us what it works perfectly fine with such as what cable are you using, factory head unit, aftermarket head unit? Obviously it does not just work perfectly fine for many people and is the only phone that is this finicky that we know of so far. Yes, we know that it works fine for a lot of people, by sharing we may figure out why.

16. AntStephenson
    Gingerbread Jul 15, 2019

AntStephenson , Jul 15, 2019 :
    Android Auto as an implementation should not be different between head units, it's a standard API. As a hardware vendor If you're certified for Android Auto you're certified to run it on any compatible device.

That being said I'm using a built in head unit on a 2016 Audi A4. any cable I've ever tried works fine, as you'd expect. Even those proprietary Huawei SuperCharge cables work for.me.

17. Dwstudeman
    Cupcake Jul 15, 2019

Dwstudeman , Jul 15, 2019 :
    Are any of those every cables you tried really thin as if built with nothing in mind but previous USB versions? Today my first thick high current cable from Blaupunkt (They only make one USB-C cable I believe) and it works every time. All my previous cables tried could double as shoelaces in a pinch.

18. Sir_Pool_de_Float_MD
    Gingerbread Jul 15, 2019

Sir_Pool_de_Float_MD , Jul 15, 2019 :
    I was using an 18" braided cable, but then I got a car mount that needed a little more length to work. My current cable is 1m, wrapped up so that the extra doesn't get in the way. I have, however, used a cable all the way to 10ft without issue.

Definitely agree that the cable should not be super thin. My mom has been lucky with her Samsung cable working almost every time in her car, but I still think there should be some meat to the cables.

19. Dwstudeman
    Cupcake Jul 17, 2019

Dwstudeman , Jul 17, 2019 :
    Even beside the sync issue, the thicker cable can charge the phone faster as long as it is truly a 2.4a version if the head unit is capable. I do not miss USB 1.1 with 0.5a if you are lucky, quite an engineering challenge to get stuff to work on a half amp or less, that's why some devices required dual plugs just to get a full amp. Now almost 5 times as much current as a single USB 1.1 is standard

20. Sahil.Kad
    Cupcake Dec 27, 2019

Sahil.Kad , Dec 27, 2019 :
    I have a VW Golf GTI 2019... I have two OP fones.. 7 Pro n the 5T, and am using the original cable from OP (I bought a spare one from the store).
    So now the problem is that 7Pro connects but Waze or Google Maps don't work perfectly... And then I have to reconnect and then it will work...
    5T is a hit or miss... It will work once out 10 times...
    I have had the port on the car checked by VW...
    I have tried different cables... Also different phone.. including iPhone... All work fine except the OP's... 😭😭😭