Android development

1. dr.cognitive
    Honeycomb Aug 31, 2014

dr.cognitive , Aug 31, 2014 :
    Hello,
    I'm just curious if anyone knows of a good video tutorial for learning Android development using a current SDK that is either very low cost or free?

I've tried The New Boston/Bucky's Room and those are using Froyo 2.2 and under the new SDK a lot of things either don't work or don't work right, down to the wizards. I've looked at the Infinate Skills series and geezus, they either don't talk about coding or it is so far above the head that it makes no sense. I've also looked at a Lynda series and again, it's doing Gingerbread coding and a lot of things either no longer work or don't apply.

I did like the New Boston series with Travis, but I want something dealing with Jellybean or Kitkat.

Oh, and I've looked at uDemy and I can't seem to find a course that is both good and in English. Not trying to sound like a dink, but when I'm trying to learn something as new and complex as programming I don't think language barriers and heavy accents help. :-(

So, anyone know of a resource out there?

2. mstrouthos
    Gingerbread Sep 11, 2014

mstrouthos , Sep 11, 2014 :
    best way to learn how to develop on android is to learn java and be good at it, have a clear understanding of what is going on. then use the documentation on android developer and you should be able to make apps. Start by doing the simple stuff in youtube videos and progress moving on more advanced things.

3. ismet
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 11, 2014

ismet , Sep 11, 2014 :
    Android Development Studio/Java Eclipse

i prefer the first one, but both support the newest available SDKs (Android Wear, currently being the latest one added to the bundle and 4.4.4 of course included)

It took me 2 weeks to somehow put a simple app together that grabs the source code of an URL and makes it visible in a pagefragment. I did not have any Android experiences before and only knew the basics of Java. Basically it was an entire trial and error project, but a few weeks later my app turns out to be just fine.

Wish you good luck!

4. dennis123789
    Gingerbread Sep 11, 2014

avinashadvani, Fauno and dr.cognitive like this.
  5. Fauno
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2014

avinashadvani likes this.
  6. Fauno
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2014

avinashadvani likes this.
  7. dragon2777
    Jelly Bean Sep 19, 2014

8. avinashadvani
    Jelly Bean Sep 19, 2014

9. oneeyedhobbit
    Gingerbread Sep 19, 2014

oneeyedhobbit , Sep 19, 2014 :
    @mstrouthos is absolutely correct. Learn java reasonably well, and you can pick up everything else you need from the Android documentation. Android Studio is still pretty buggy (and a mess with unit testing frameworks), and you can grab a plug in to flip most of your hotkeys to eclipse hotkeys anyway if you use eclipse and decide its too much of a pain to relearn them.

mstrouthos and Fauno like this.
  10. bamboo
    Cupcake Sep 21, 2017