Android OS Massive Battery Drain

1. shazman3
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2014

shazman3 , Nov 21, 2014 :
    Please, no fanboys telling me to research or act like I don't know what I'm doing...I've read every page about this issue and nothing works.

I lose 50-60% of battery life over night (8hours). This is ridiculous. Its happened on the last three updates and I'm so fed up with it. Every morning i wake up and see my phone is pretty much dead. I want a legit answer to this problem which is a HUGE problem to me.

Attached Files:

Ceasedd and Nyan_ like this.
  2. 0utblast
    Jelly Bean Nov 21, 2014

3. emaren
    Gingerbread Nov 21, 2014

emaren , Nov 21, 2014 :
    What I tend to do is to take a good look at what applications I have installed to see if any of those are interacting with Android's services and slamming the battery.

Judging by the graphs you have shown, you are losing 58% in 14hrs, which is only a little worse than me. Today my phone has lost 24% in 9hrs and 20 minutes.

My OPO is running the latest version (44R) and below use details I have a second half of the screen which tells me what is included in Android Services. One of those is Location Services.

Previous Android experience tells me that if you leave your GPS on 'high accuracy' and are indoors where GPS is poor, the impact is a whole lot of GPS traffic and reduced battery - I tend to flip GPS to battery saving' when I do not need it. (for example).

Personally I'd take a decent look at what you are running and I'd google to see if any of those applications are known battery hogs via services....

maegennicole and ronoldo like this.
  4. Iseek1
    KitKat Nov 21, 2014

Iseek1 , Nov 21, 2014 :
    here you will find some very useful information;
    [GUIDE] Insanely Better Battery Life When Idle - Battery Life Thread
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2357417

FlipJumpman, Joyyy and ronoldo like this.
  5. shazman3
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2014

I'm not running anything. GPS is always off. Only WiFi is on pretty much. I've tried turning wake off for Google play services which has not helped. What graph do you want to see. I'll take a screenshot

Backes and Patrykos like this.
  6. justr0
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2014

justr0 , Nov 21, 2014 :
    Its due to location reporting and wakeups. Just go to Advanced settings in Privacy Guard and disable wakeups, autostarts and keep awake settings for all the culprit apps. Do it for Google Play Services...that should fix the Android OS issue.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

7. ronoldo
    KitKat Nov 21, 2014

ronoldo , Nov 21, 2014 :
    Great advice...

Ceasedd likes this.
  8. yazhuang
    Eclair Nov 21, 2014

nxll likes this.
  9. Iseek1
    KitKat Nov 21, 2014

Iseek1 , Nov 21, 2014 :
    wow, read a bit of your blog, sorry to hear about the accident and all you're going through, and just wanted to share some good info that I came across over on the XDA threads regarding extending battery life, here is the link;
    [GUIDE] Insanely Better Battery Life When Idle - Battery Life Thread
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2357417

FlipJumpman likes this.
  10. shazman3
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2014

I've done the privacy guard and turned off wakes and it didn't help. I even turn off wake for android OS and started getting random reboots

irfanifse likes this.
  11. Craeshe
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2014

Craeshe , Nov 21, 2014 :
    I have had Words With Friends lag on me and drain the battery quickly....Point being, check your battery list under settings to see what is draining it. Some apps lag.

12. shazman3
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2014

Thanks so much for all the help everyone but I have honestly tried most of these and nothing works. I'm pretty bummed. Love the phone but this battery issue is a major deal breaker for me

13. shazman3
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2014

manuguer likes this.
  14. emaren
    Gingerbread Nov 21, 2014

emaren , Nov 21, 2014 :
    I've seen what you are seeing on a variety of Android devices.

In every case it has been down to stuff that is installed which is hammering android services.

Maybe you could reset the thing and see what happens totally 'out of the box'

Then maybe add your e-mail account and see the impact
    Then maybe add other apps, one at a time.

I've done this.

Whatsapp is a battery suck, KIK a huge batery suck, Several games that seem to want updates all the time are battery sucks.

GPS is a battery suck if you are nowhere near a window. Wifi is a battery suck if you connect to public WiFi. (I keep WiFi off unless I am home)..

etc.

15. theulcer
    Eclair Nov 21, 2014

theulcer , Nov 21, 2014 :
    I experienced this same problem. Android OS would kill the battery overnight from a 60% charge to 5%, it drove me nuts. I did everything that the forum users suggested, I even wiped/rooted the device and the problem continued. What I had noticed from the beginning was that when I left WiFi on Android OS slammed the battery. Disabling WiFi led to my battery draining just 5-10% overnight which I'm totally happy with. I tried different WiFi routers, different security methods, no change.

I didn't want to worry about manually turning WiFi off/on every night so my workaround was installing the free Silence app. With this app I scheduled WiFi to turn off from 10pm to 6am and now I'm getting 2 days worth of normal use with 4-5 hours of screen time. Give this a shot.

16. shazman3
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2014

My Google play services have not been active in 18 hours so I know that's not an issue. Can unlocked bootloader and TWRP recovery cause this issue even tho they are not present in my Android OS?

17. highdiver_2000
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2014

highdiver_2000 , Nov 21, 2014 :
    Install Better Battery Stats from Xda. Let it monitor for half an hour and check what is eating your battery.

How does the Battery, History Details graph looks like? (the one that shows wifi, gps, charging etc)

18. shazman3
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2014

I will do that now and report back in a bit. I just installed Greenify and greenified everything. I used to have that setup but back on the 25 or 33 update i started getting battery drain and removed greenify which helped.... this is a very weird and confusing situation. In early updates I was rooted and thought that was the issue, which went away when I unrooted and removed greenify. Ive been unrooted for 38 and 44 updates but had the battery drain issue return. I rooted once again and installed Greenify, will download better battery stats from xda now

19. shazman3
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2014

The chart showed that wifi was a bold and solid line through most of the night, unfortunately i deleted stats to start over and see if my problem is continuing.

20. shazman3
    Honeycomb Nov 21, 2014

what i dont get is... how is wifi killing so much battery over night if that is the culprit? isnt wifi supposed to help SAVE battery?