Android P is coming to the OnePlus 3 and 3T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Mar 20, 2019

Topper_Gas , Mar 20, 2019 :
    OP have already confirmed the OP3's won't be getting Treble with the Pie build, although not really sure there's any evidence it does bring faster updates, the custom ROMS still seem pretty quick compared to email like OP updates.

GorgeJohn likes this.
  2. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Mar 20, 2019

ghostofcain , Mar 20, 2019 :
    And no one promised it in Q1.

Just you.

FTFY

ssagheer and gazz1701 like this.
  3. GorgeJohn
    Eclair Mar 20, 2019

GorgeJohn , Mar 20, 2019 :
    Not sure about faster updates, but before project treble there wore bigger problems, let us say for example that I had a Galaxy S3 and you had a Google Nexus, then the same custom rom had to be built from nothing for my device amd yours, so the same custom os could have different bugs for different phones. But from what I understand (I could be wrong) treble makes it possible to have the same base rom for all supported phones and only implement the differences, if a phone has triple cameras and the other only one. But the base being the same it means that if I have a bluetooth bug in my OP3, then we know that you will have the same bug in a completly different phone so once it's fixed for one, it's fixed for the other to. Am I mistaken?

4. Maurizio_it_TR
    Froyo Mar 20, 2019

Maurizio_it_TR , Mar 20, 2019 :
    I wonder if they really have the will to do this update, I don't think it's possible that some guys, as good as they are, make decent ROMs, and OP can't make a ROM on its products.
    It's just a matter of the market, but maybe they were wrong to lengthen the time too much, hoping that customers tired of waiting will buy superior products (OP6 / OP7), I won't do it, my OP3 is fully functional, and as long as it is not I change it.

5. Fursan Afzal
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 20, 2019

6. Mike K.
    Gingerbread Mar 20, 2019

7. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Mar 20, 2019

Wow, deep. I suppose it's well above the intelligence of the majority of the posts in this thread.

Mike K. likes this.
  8. Prattech
    Honeycomb Mar 20, 2019

Prattech , Mar 20, 2019 :
    People who build custom roms does it as a hobby or passion not job. Even if there are some bugs in the rom when released they will fix it in some weeks or sometimes months. Also I have seen seen very few roms doing cts before release, but OP has to do it since its an oem os. They have no pressure of releasing a perfect rom (although some are almost). And gcam made their life easier. Earlier they had to develop a crappy cam app along or give a 3rd party one now it is too not required. Oneplus also has to test camera app for every update.

I am not saying OP did a very good job at time management however they have to have release this next update without bugs because they are already tired of giving updates to OP3/T. They will try their best not to f this up even with minor bugs since they are trying to wash their hands up with this 3 yr old phone. They have no intension to give even one update after this other than bug fixes and security. Also the updates that op5/6 got as incremental got combined into one for op3 so its even more difficult ( pie+ui changes+duo integration+callerid thing etc.) Oneplus is not doing the best job but also not the worst. The only thing they did wrong was skipping security update.

9. Mike K.
    Gingerbread Mar 20, 2019

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019

10. Amitp1998
    Honeycomb Mar 20, 2019

11. AravindFZS
    Froyo Mar 20, 2019

AravindFZS , Mar 20, 2019 :
    you're right.This is why OnePlus should stick to two major Android version upgrade and bi monthly security patches for three years.

12. cplasf
    Cupcake Mar 20, 2019

cplasf , Mar 20, 2019 :
    beta?????And the public test, why did it become the private test,

13. muraviov_max1
    Donut Mar 20, 2019

muraviov_max1 , Mar 20, 2019 :
    Sooo when "early this week" will come?

14. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Mar 20, 2019

Topper_Gas , Mar 20, 2019 :
    Nobody forced OP to offer 3 upgrades, it was there decision. The only thing seemingly holding up the Beta release is the CTS testing and given the Pixels passed it then surely it's not to big a task. You sense work only started recently, rather than 9 months ago.

G_Hiren_Trivedi_JfFZ likes this.
  15. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Mar 20, 2019

I believe the important word is "may".

Pixels don't run OOS.

Auristic, ssagheer, Bobbie63 and 2 others like this.
  16. kabbo.nibir
    Donut Mar 20, 2019

17. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Mar 20, 2019

Bobbie63 , Mar 20, 2019 :
    What promise would have that been?

The one about security updates I hope?

Auristic, ghostofcain and Pradeep@1+ like this.
  18. PTuT
    Jelly Bean Mar 20, 2019

PTuT , Mar 20, 2019 :
    No matter how much we like the progress or not, OP didn't break anything. Technically they didn't give us the date for release and they seem to work on Pie so we have to wait, as long as it will take. I am happy that after months of silence they started to provide us with update on this issue. More than long waiting I hate poor communication.

19. 8th_wond3r
    Froyo Mar 20, 2019

20. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 20, 2019

keithgpowell , Mar 20, 2019 :
    Yes, some people have a resentment against OP, but it is mainly based on misinterpretation of facts and misplaced fears.

And with regards to broken promises, well, that's life. Learn from it and grow up and move on. The supposed promises or even real promises were not about life changing or life threatening things. If you feel they are, then "shallow" lives comes to my mind.

Also try to understand humour, dark humour, irony, rhetoric, etc

Auristic and RoverX like this.