Android P is coming to the OnePlus 3 and 3T

1. dasche
    Gingerbread Apr 11, 2019

dasche , Apr 11, 2019 :
    Approaching 700 pages of nonsense. Congratulations all pie hungry users. At least we are going to achieve something. My sweet guess is that pie will be released at 900 pages. (hint: android 9.0.0).

Edit: this post is not for you if it did not hurt you. So better don't reply to this. (hint: sarcastic joke).

2. tpati
    Gingerbread Apr 11, 2019

tpati , Apr 11, 2019 :
    This thread is full of nonsense.

To those guys who defend OnePlus just understand that OnePlus team are avoiding OTA updates to the limited. Why? The time goes by and November 2019 is coming and after that they can say it's the last update. This means that optimization of pie will end before start. The first OTA will bring something wrong from sure if not they are the first team who can launch a new version with 90-100% perfectly (not).

To OSS 5.0.6 to 5.0.7 or 5.0.8 to now see how many time passed. They are a company and can afford this not happening.

Let's see what's goes happen in future with this device, hope everything goes ok.

This thread is full of toxiness.

Someone have a battery drain with cell standby with 4G enabled?

Srdjan Kostic likes this.
  3. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 11, 2019

elanglois , Apr 11, 2019 :
    Render did the kernel, Joshuous did the ROM (Vertex OS) and PowerHAL. Joshuous's Vertex was AOSP with full EAS support, lots of optimization, and very minimal added features. In my comparisons, it was one of the most efficient, although Zenity (based on his work) was also a top contender for games and beat Vertex in a few 3D benchmarks although did worse in more general purpose areas.

KennyOmega likes this.
  4. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Apr 11, 2019

Hydra Bob , Apr 11, 2019 :
    Well more recently they've both been working on the RenderZenith kernel for the 5/5t and 6/6t. I think Joshuous was talking about bringing Vertex back for one or both of those models for a while but judging on the lack of any mention of that lately I'm assuming that project either got back burnered or dropped altogether. It's a shame, sounded promising, I would have liked to see what they would have been able to do.

5. abhibnl
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 11, 2019

abhibnl , Apr 11, 2019 :
    Unfortunately, I never tried those ROMs as I wasn't quite ready to ditch the stability that OOS provided. But I was aware of that project all the way from day 1 but stopped keeping track and finally i think both render and Joshuous ditched OP3 support? I don't even see any kernel update to their EAS kernel for OP3. Maybe it isn't worth all the efforts afterall?

6. abhibnl

abhibnl , Apr 11, 2019 :
    That is because 6/6T comes by default with EAS based kernel/OS and they had to do a lot of development and patching for OP3 to keep it consistent with their target EAS performance. I would be happy if they collaborate again and release a Pie build, completely focused on EAS. If they won't be able to, I understand.

7. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Apr 11, 2019

Yeah unfortunately they've moved on from the from the OP3 and are offering support to just the newer models now.

abhibnl likes this.
  8. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Apr 11, 2019

Well apparently OOS still does a lot of things with EAS that are... shall we say outside of the expected norms. I guess it was enough of a hassle trying to peel back what the OP devs had done that he was considering bringing his own ROM back to see what he could do without those limitations.

9. ThE_MarD85
    Froyo Apr 11, 2019

ThE_MarD85 , Apr 11, 2019 :
    Heyyo, I'd recommend reading articles from community developers and in general about EAS. Essentially, it can be great if you're a big company like Google with hundreds of software engineers that can make it work perfectly... Otherwise? You can get EAS running by cherry-picking commits from GitHub, but it'll never run as good as a device designed with EAS from the ground up...

Does OnePlus have hundreds of software engineers? Probably not... Maybe a single hundred as an optimistic guess? Even so, are they going to put in the effort to redesign a device to work perfectly like a Pixel for EAS on a device that never launched with it? Extremely doubtful.

I think we should just be thankful that OnePlus is even bothering with Pie for OP3/3t compared to pretty much every other company with a device that runs a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 or 821...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019

10. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Apr 11, 2019

Topper_Gas , Apr 11, 2019 :
    Posters using the leaked CB are saying it's fairly stable if OP can solve the seeming minor issues Pie will already be optimised, even if they wait til May/June to release it, which seems unlikely, then that's still 6 months away from EOL in November.

G_Dmitry_Glushko_CVji likes this.
  11. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 11, 2019

Yeah, they dropped the 3/3T and I pretty much gave up. Hopefully the renewed interest in EAS will get the ball rolling

Hydra Bob likes this.
  12. tpati
    Gingerbread Apr 11, 2019

tpati , Apr 11, 2019 :
    There's some mirror problems and only with time they will appear and solved. Don't look at 5.0.8 with last update, last update was on 5.0.7. OSS was the same with that version.

For me there's everything okey, at least I only complain about the cellstandy issue on 4G but a new IU and a new system version it's better.

This is the better phone I purchased but today there's so many choices and OnePlus have to prove their value to customers.

13. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 11, 2019

First, 2 people, not thousands got EAS working "perfectly" on the 3T. Even better than the Pixel.

Second, stop this "never designed for EAS" crap. The hardware does not require any changes at all. Not sure why you would make such a ridiculous statement.

Throwing more people at a technical problem doesn't make it happen better or faster. The issue is that people don't see immediate advantages to EAS and so its not a feature that will result in better sales numbers. In fact, some loads (even on a Pixel) end up using more power with EAS.

Hydra Bob likes this.
  14. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 11, 2019

I don't believe you.

Open a terminal or adb shell on a Oneplus 6 and type
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Does it say interactive or schedutil?

15. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 11, 2019

They stopped providing OP3 support awhile back. Joshuous's OP3 died and he upgraded. And I don't see why you assume the OOS is more stable. That's total BS. I moved away from OOS because of the bugs!

Hydra Bob likes this.
  16. abhibnl

abhibnl , Apr 11, 2019 :
    Reality of custom ROM support and totally understandable. Majority of users just like to switch to newer devices every year. Not everyone is like us who likes to stick to a device til the time it works perfectly fine for their usage.

I agree that OP wouldn't put efforts into an optimized EAS OOS for OP3 now, and I wouldn't even expect them to. While it would make sense that a dedicated team of engineers will produce a much more polished build of EAS for a device but also, as per what I was able to gather from ARM's articles on EAS, it's pretty much an actively developed stable feature available since Linux kernel 3.18 and pretty much anyone with the knowledge can implement it to their devices. So if 2 developers can release a EAS based kernel for OP3 with some dedicated work hours put in, I would imagine OP's qualified engineers can also do a good job if they want to. I don't think it will need a vast team for just feature. Also, don't forget they can share their EAS optimizations across their portfolio of devices - OP3/T, OP5/T, OP6/T.

17. abhibnl

abhibnl , Apr 11, 2019 :
    First, I would appreciate if you can calm down and respond with politeness. We are all just discussing here, no need to go beast mode. What you consider BS is none of my business because I have used both custom and OOS, and "for me" OOS is much more stable. I moved away from custom ROMs because of the bugs! See the difference there? What works for me might not work for you, and vice versa!

cmitchellshaw and KennyOmega like this.
  18. abhibnl

abhibnl , Apr 11, 2019 :
    I'll be able to do that after work once I reach home. My wife has OP6 and i can run this command then.

elanglois likes this.
  19. elanglois
    Lollipop Apr 11, 2019

No one is "beast mode". OOS has surely improved, but its obviously stagnant. Bugs can be reported to the developer, who will fix them. Good luck getting bugs fixed in OOS.

Not sure what ROMs you tried, but your error is making a general consensus about all custom ROMs when each must be evaluated on its own merit. Would you lump all OEM ROMs together and evaluate OOS on the merits of TouchWiz?

20. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Apr 11, 2019

They actually do have an EAS based kernel. Although from what Josh was saying in his development group they did some pretty wonky stuff with their implementation. Hang on a sec I'll grab a ss.