Android P is coming to the OnePlus 3 and 3T

1. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2019

Hydra Bob , Apr 13, 2019 :
    Sorry but A/B partitioning is out of the question. It simply requires too much space from a device that was designed before that was ever even a concept. And treble support and a /vendor partition were only possible on the 5/5t because third party developers found an unused partition with sufficient space, there probably isn't one available on the 3/3t. It could still theoretically be possible by carving up a chunk of user data and sacrificing part of your storage space to get it, but that would be a very risky operation to attempt OTA even if users were willing to sacrifice storage to do so. Your best bet for anything resembling Treble would probably be the third party development community. You might actually be better off that way, the Mokee implementation for the 5/5t still has better compatibility with most GSIs than the official version.

And of course it's worth mentioning that there's still a robust community providing plenty of choices for source built custom ROMs for the 3/3t which will almost always work better than generic GSIs anyway.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019

deligarbur and Sivalal R like this.
  2. F_Shubham_Amale_FIsQ
    Froyo Apr 13, 2019

F_Shubham_Amale_FIsQ , Apr 13, 2019 :
    Yeah. Native video calling is a most requested feature but they ignored it.

vishvanjay likes this.
  3. Sivalal R
    Froyo Apr 13, 2019

Sivalal R , Apr 13, 2019 :
    why is it risky through ota

4. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2019

5. Sivalal R
    Froyo Apr 13, 2019

I don't have to but since you complimented me i will, start after this msg , still waiting

jskrn8894 likes this.
  6. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2019

Because it would involve repartitioning the device and moving around critical data that could leave the device in a hard bricked state if the operation failed part way through for any reason. With the 5/5t all they had to do was rename one partition and copy some files there instead of trying to play what amounts to musical chairs with several.

deligarbur, RoverX, Bobbie63 and 2 others like this.
  7. OPO OOS lover
    Jelly Bean Apr 13, 2019

OPO OOS lover , Apr 13, 2019 :
    True
    But if you compare a few things it's doesn't show it-
    In around April 10, 2017 OnePlus had released a minor update for their worst phone hated by all OnePlus 2 named OxygenOS 3.5.8 everybody was asking about the status of Nougat update and on top of that the version had a lot bugs and it was totally useless
    To prevent this from happening they didn't release a new security update instead they gave it directly on pie closed beta update

The truth is OnePlus had released OxygenOS 5.0.7 was to add a new feature of USB Type-C if you check their bullets webpage you will see a small note written about adding this feature

If you also check the time gap between the Hydrogen OS open beta and OxygenOS open beta for the OnePlus 5/5T you will notice there was a big gap, so it might be applied for the OnePlus 3/3T as well

Also the same time gap between Hydrogen OS and OxygenOS OnePlus 3T stable version with face unlock was also the same it took weeks for them to release a new stable OxygenOS stable update based on Face unlock

So the chances are 50-50 one half I might be right on the other half you might be right too

prasannaraja2 likes this.
  8. OPO OOS lover
    Jelly Bean Apr 13, 2019

But didn't they say they will release it but with deep Google Duo integration?

9. prasannaraja2
    Honeycomb Apr 13, 2019

prasannaraja2 , Apr 13, 2019 :
    google duo video calling is different and native video calling is different

my network provide free video calling without internet why will i use duo

native video calling is a basic android feature available in all 4g devices

nobody wanted google duo calling, i think google paid oneplus to add it

vishvanjay likes this.
  10. F_Shubham_Amale_FIsQ
    Froyo Apr 13, 2019

F_Shubham_Amale_FIsQ , Apr 13, 2019 :
    For ur info Native video calling works over VOLTE without consuming data and works even when data is turned off.

11. Sivalal R
    Froyo Apr 13, 2019

but some developers wher successful to implement it without oneplus help. if they got that help it has the potential to install it without bricking.

12. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2019

For the 3/3t? I'm not aware of any projects that were able to do that for those models as of yet.

Sivalal R likes this.
  13. Sivalal R
    Froyo Apr 13, 2019

Hydra Bob likes this.
  14. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2019

Hydra Bob and Sivalal R like this.
  15. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2019

Interesting, I'll have to look more into that later. It does still seem to be an early testing version from the information in the link that @G_plusone provided and it seems some things are still broken.

But however they did it there's sure to be at least some risk involved in the process. Custom ROM developers also have the luxury of being able to post disclaimers saying that they aren't responsible for any damage that occurs as a result of their software while OnePlus is required to accept responsibility and cover the cost of fixing anything that might go wrong with theirs. It's not likely they'd being willing to invest the time and energy of developing Treble this late in the support cycle let alone accept the cost of any potential repairs.

This project is probably going to be your best bet if you want to be able to use GSIs on your phone, the effect will still be the same in the end whoever develops it.

G_plusone likes this.
  16. Sivalal R
    Froyo Apr 13, 2019

i remember oneplus using ther service center for enabling wildvine support. they could do somekind of pc software to enable that process automated and under control. lets hope they find a solution. only problem is that taking forever to get it ready. leading to believe they might be trying to implement those things that i said in my post. fingers crossed.

G_plusone and Hydra Bob like this.
  17. OPO OOS lover
    Jelly Bean Apr 13, 2019

Well that's a paddlin that OnePlus didn't add this in the OnePlus 3/3T but added it on the OnePlus 5/5T

18. Fursan Afzal
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 13, 2019

19. president99
    Froyo Apr 13, 2019

mukul2579 and m.parvage like this.
  20. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Apr 13, 2019