Android P is coming to the OnePlus 3 and 3T

1. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 14, 2019

Bobbie63 , Apr 14, 2019 :
    Aren't we all desperate for the hamburger emojji? Cheese at the bottom? That's just cruel.

2. gazz1701
    Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2019

gazz1701 , Apr 14, 2019 :
    Don't be ridiculous - 10 years? I'm not going to be using this phone in 10 years...

Well, I don't like to be picky...oh alright then; but the last update was 5.0.8 released 27/11. I make that 20 weeks ago this coming Tuesday. If we assume 4 weeks per month, then that's 20 / 4 = 5 months since the last update. Regardless, yes that is okay with me...they're working on v 9.x based on Pie...remember?

As above, last security update is November - most recent is April, which is still only 5 months. Regardless again, fine with me, all of my apps come from Play store, which I know Google scan for any vulnerabilities they pick up when doing the work on their security updates. We'll probably get a more recent patch either with Pie or before but its okay with me.
    Yes you can expect everything they promised, but there's that TIME word again...on time...there has been no time set for the Pie update. You're right they are behind on their security patch schedule...but in my opinion, no big deal. Guess you do what's right for you in the future.

Auristic and Bobbie63 like this.
  3. Andrei R.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 14, 2019

Andrei R. , Apr 14, 2019 :
    He was exaggerating so you can better see the effects of this "wait".

Auristic and gazz1701 like this.
  4. RogerOriginals

RogerOriginals , Apr 14, 2019 :
    I can only imagine how many "battery drain after pie update" threads are going to show up after the 3/T's get the stable update.

5. gazz1701
    Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2019

I know - and so thought would exaggerate a response. :)

6. gazz1701
    Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2019

Indeed - it will be full of complaints...first will be the "I've haven't got it! why haven't I got it?" and also all the "I installed the closed beta - how do i get it?"..."how do I go back to Oreo to get it from closed beta?"...then you're right, it will be "I installed the update 7.28 minutes ago, and my battery life is now ****"..."my phone is so slow now - this update is ****"..."PUBG only plays at 1 FPS now - WTF OnePlus"...together with all the general "OnePlus are ****" posts.

Not sure will bother to stick around this time; once Pie comes tempted to bail out...

7. RogerOriginals

This is the truth XD
    First curse OP for not delivering 9.0 on time, then curse OP for delivering 9.0 because it slowed down their phones. Although I'd like Pie on my phone, I do know that the new user experience will be at a big cost of performance and battery. This phone is almost 3 years old, obviously it won't work as good as newer phones with 9.0.

Auristic and gazz1701 like this.
  8. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 14, 2019

Bobbie63 , Apr 14, 2019 :
    And miss out on all the fun? :confused::confused:

9. johnpenzance
    Cupcake Apr 14, 2019

johnpenzance , Apr 14, 2019 :
    The question posed was whether 9 will be slower or more battery-draining than 8. A couple of weeks ago I gave up waiting for timely official security updates and installed LineageOS. That's Android 9. I'm now putting the phone on the charger every fourth day at the moment, that's a major improvement on Oxygen/Oreo. And I also have April's security updates, which is all I wanted. The hardware remains ideal, the gaps in security updates is no longer tolerable.

cmitchellshaw likes this.
  10. RogerOriginals

Lineage OS gives you a great battery doesn't mean OOS will. There were many OG Pixel users who reported of bad battery after Pie update, cannot rule out OP will have magically better battery backup as my battery got worse when I upgraded from Nougat. Plus, custom ROM is personally out of question for me because I use banking apps that need safety net and I don't want to deal with magisk headaches or constant flashing. Maybe someday when 3T isn't my primary anymore, but not now.

11. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2019

Topper_Gas , Apr 14, 2019 :
    If you can get 4 days out of one charge it begs the question why you ever needed a decent smartphone when a far cheaper one would have probably suited your needs, regardless we all know about custom ROMS but this thread is about the OOS Pie update.

12. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2019

Topper_Gas , Apr 14, 2019 :
    Going back to the earlier post it seems HydrogenOS OB users are suffering a number of issues, it may sound daft to the OP users depserate for any Pie update posting on here, but I'd sooner wait for OP to resolve the issues than have a problems with the camera and FFP not working correctly.

http://www.oneplusbbs.com/thread-4685478-1.html

(Google translated the full thread to English for me)

gazz1701 and nobraindk like this.
  13. nobraindk
    Froyo Apr 14, 2019

nobraindk , Apr 14, 2019 :
    Topper_Gas

Going back to the earlier post it seems HydrogenOS OB users are suffering a number of issues, it may sound daft to the OP users depserate for any Pie update posting on here, but I'd sooner wait for OP to resolve the issues than have a problems with the camera and FFP not working correctly.

http://www.oneplusbbs.com/thread-4685478-1.html

(Google translated the full thread to English for me)

OnePlus always developed new OOS versions to OP3 very quickly with minimal bugs. Remember Oreo release, it took just few months after Google released Oreo officially and it had only one critical bug, mobile standby battery drain.

Why Pie takes so much time and it still has much -critical- bug, i can't understand.

EDIT: App *****ed up the quote. Sorry.

14. gazz1701
    Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2019

Great - thanks for informing us; better get typing and posting then...we'll leave the work to get the update released in your hands...cheers matey.

Auristic likes this.
  15. VishalNeha
    Froyo Apr 14, 2019

16. stickfigure4
    Eclair Apr 14, 2019

stickfigure4 , Apr 14, 2019 :
    I guess because it is low priority for the company, thus takes more time..

nobraindk likes this.
  17. VishalNeha
    Froyo Apr 14, 2019

VishalNeha , Apr 14, 2019 :
    coz poco is a low budget flagship killer

18. gazz1701
    Jelly Bean Apr 14, 2019

Are you sure you mean Manu J? Do you mean Gary C, who made the original announcement thread last year, that 3/3T would get Pie? Regardless, that was announcing what would happen, there were no dates there and the only time line was that 6, 5/5T would get Pie before. Since the last of those were not until end of the year, what is to update on? They posted updates for those phones and their Pie releases.

Okay, agreed and they did make a commitment and by all recent activity seem to be sticking to it - e.g. the closed beta program for Oxygen, then the beta for Hydrogen. Remember they published no dates for any of this.

Okay, well that could still happen couldn't it - Pie isn't out yet, so they could slip out a 5.0.x with an updated security patch; or their plans could have changed, which does happen (and seems more likely at this point).

Well it is plural, but think in the context you meant bit of an exaggeration - the last update was 27/11, they are scheduled to be every two months...so it should have been around 27/02. Its now mid April, so strictly another update is only around 1.5 months overdue...so yes its months (plural) but not in the sense in which think you imply.

Tempted to agree - that the originally stated 8.1 update should have happened and been the last, but what I think happened is they made all those other promises, at different times about new features (such as the custom accent colours) but then realised those were being developed for newer phones based on Android Pie...and that could be more work to redo those to run on 8.1...so why don't we push back further updates to 3/3T and release Pie for those models (so its easier to deliver those other things we promised).

Yes agree, but although can understand yours (and others) frustrations, perhaps a more considered and respectful (professional?) tone is better? Probably a bit destroying to see loads of your users accusing you of lies and excuses, and all the variations of s*** etc. These are people after all, how would you feel?

We pay for the phones, as is, as a product and the agreement those products work as expected and continue to do so for an agreed period of time...but unless you can find it written in an agreement that came with your phone, you have not paid for the software update to Pie...

Auristic and cmitchellshaw like this.
  19. dasche
    Gingerbread Apr 14, 2019

dasche , Apr 14, 2019 :
    I m using skydragon rom. Battery life is phenomenal. Very very stable. Pair it with modded gcam (has better results than oneplus camera app) and root with magisk = perfection. I only miss a couple of oos features like long screenshot and oneplus launcher. I would say again that battery life is way better than any oos i had in last 2 and half years on this device. Other than that, skydragon update is released every month with its own kernel and latest security patches.

https://t.me/SkyDragonUpdates

sinha.sandy and xythiii like this.
  20. Ashutoshgurugram
    Cupcake Apr 15, 2019