Android P is coming to the OnePlus 3 and 3T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hennes
    YaImCo Developer Aug 11, 2018

hennes , Aug 11, 2018 :
    What does the relevance of the user experience have to do with the fact that android Pie has firmly integrated gestures, and Oxygen OS is not an Android One, but its own "ROM", even if only minimal changes have taken place?
    Right, nothing, the developers of Oxygen OS have to worry about how they roll out the Android Pie gestures for the 3 series, whether they let them be integrated or take them out, there will always be modifications that can have consequences on other things.

I think you should read exactly what was announced on Jun 28, 2018 in the thread "OnePlus Software Maintenance Schedule".

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-software-maintenance-schedule.862347/
    This means that in 4 months the last Oxygen version for OnePlus 3 and 3T will be rolled out, no matter how many bugs are in it. I hope that there will still be further updates, but if OnePlus sticks to its own support guidelines, you have to assume that nothing will happen afterwards.

There isn't one Oxygen OS version for all devices. Oxygen OS is not compatible with all OnePlus devices. Each device has its own Oxygen OS version, and each version must be adapted separately. There are bugs in the OP5 version that were never present in the OP3 version, and vice versa. They are different branches of development. The different hardware of the devices alone does not allow simple fixes from an OP6 to the OP3, which is one of the reason, there are support times, because OnePlus wants to save the extensive tests and prefers to put the energy into the new device.

Maybe you should read my post again and start to understand what I said, it's not about any bugs in LogCat, but about a new Android version putting all users back on top with enough bugs in it that are now out in Oreo.
    How many beta versions were there of Oreo again and how much time did it take to get to this version that is really stable today? ~15 beta versions and 9 months have passed to get where we are with Oreo now. If you think that you will get updates for a OnePlus 3 or 3T for so long, then keep on dreaming, I would be much happier with a stable Oreo version than with a buggy Pie version.

I wrote that this is just my opinion, and nobody has to share that opinion, but you shouldn't be as condescending as you did in your post, I won't take your opinion away from you. I would be happy if it is as you hope, but only hope is not enough for me. As long as there is nothing official, the decision is just not optimal for me.

Just to understand it correctly, I'm not talking about android's security patches, but about oxygen updates. The bugs I described are not android bugs, they are bugs in the port to Oxygen. Oh and with regard to LogCat, the errors that go through there are certainly mostly irrelevant, that's the reason i didn't mention them directly, and yes, of course you are right with the statement that all operating systems have such errors, I know that too, but the difference is that some are anxious to fix them while others prefer to open new construction sites by switching to a new version.

To repeat it, it is my opinion, there is no reason to write condescendingly here.

Vladut123 and RoverX like this.
  2. Abir_hossain
    Eclair Aug 11, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  3. F_Amit_Jasani_Bbrk
    Eclair Aug 11, 2018

F_Amit_Jasani_Bbrk , Aug 11, 2018 :
    really this is good news for me and all op e and 3t user i m waiting update in my 3t device because i m excited about p thanks and work great i appreciate op team

Vladut123 likes this.
  4. rupesh.joshi87
    Cupcake Aug 11, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  5. Abir_hossain
    Eclair Aug 11, 2018

Abir_hossain , Aug 11, 2018 :
    It's OK
    But after that one plus authority should be battery issues & problem has to be done

Vladut123 likes this.
  6. vishalbu
    Cupcake Aug 11, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  7. haseoxth
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  8. chinnidiwakar
    Froyo Aug 11, 2018

chinnidiwakar , Aug 11, 2018 :
    yeah buy samsung

Vladut123 likes this.
  9. CodesCodger
    Gingerbread Aug 11, 2018

CodesCodger , Aug 11, 2018 :
    i agree with most of the stuff apart from oreo open betas. Do you actually believe they brought optimizations? yeah they contained underlying changes in framework files but oneplus pushed a lot of cosmetic changes rather than polishing the rom. Oxygen os could have got better if oneplus put their effort on optimizations rather than bringing changes frequently. Oneplus is supposed to give bug fixes and security patches till next year and in upcoming four months we will get a unoptimized android p without proper testing. Speaking of software maintenance schedule, oneplus haven't given camera fixes for third party apps on op 3/T which they promised on open ear. these fixes are necessary for this device

Vladut123 likes this.
  10. Paulmathew26
    Eclair Aug 11, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  11. pirata_1985
    Nougat Aug 11, 2018

Vladut123 and zoestar like this.
  12. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Aug 11, 2018

Topper_Gas , Aug 11, 2018 :
    "This means that in 4 months the last Oxygen version for OnePlus 3 and 3T will be rolled out, no matter how many bugs are in it. I hope that there will still be further updates, but if OnePlus sticks to its own support guidelines, you have to assume that nothing will happen afterwards."

OP have made an habit of not sticking to his guidelines and the P announcement followed after the Maintenance Guidelines announcement so OP3/3T could wel now be extended in order to try and ensure the P update is as bug free as possible before support ceases.

Vladut123 likes this.
  13. neil54
    Froyo Aug 11, 2018

neil54 , Aug 11, 2018 :
    Just got my second OP phone after a while consorting with other brands and am I glad that I have come back .Not only a great phone ,oneplus3 ,but being upgraded to Pie as well ,fantastic . Also tested this phone against my other phone ,P10 lite ,and it beat the Huawie in all tests,not by a little but walloped it . I am really glad I came back ,and thinking about next one to buy.

Vladut123 likes this.
  14. alexphl
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  15. Mohit_47
    Jelly Bean Aug 12, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  16. alexphl
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  17. alexphl
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2018

alexphl , Aug 12, 2018 :
    i do appreciate a solid read and your post definitely is one
    however

im want not to change your opinion, but rather point out that the assumptions you make in the process are questionable, so heres my take on it

you really dont have to look much further than the OP6 Dev build to see that 1+ is handling the merge of Oxygen and Pie rather well. yes, it's unclear if and how they will implement the gestures, but i can almost promise you that OP3 won't be getting them. it just doesn't make sense with capacitive buttons since the point of gestures is to free up screen space, which capacitive buttons already do.

your argument about Oxygen being so device specific is just wrong. yes there are device specifics like HALs, blobs and the kernel, but almost all UX components (Frameworks, Apps, etc) are entirely cross-device compatible and will be developed in the OP6/5/ Open Betas before being rolled out to us. By the time the first build for OP3 arrives, most high level components will be set and stable. Hardware specifics still are a big concern, just not as big as you make it out to be

that Maintenance schedule doesn't really mean much at this point as it has plainly denied that Pie will even come to OP3. things must have changed since then, somehow. you really can't trust Oneplus's long term planning skills anyway.

finally about your point that it's better to strive for a stable system rather than a newer one: i can just say that's not how the mobile OS market works, sadly, partly due to the law of diminishing returns and consumer satisfaction. neither Android nor iOS nor even Windows prioritize stability over adding new features these days. only MacOS comes to mind of allowing itself the luxury to hunt down every last bug before making major changes, and i've heard it being called boring just because it doesn't really ever change. 1+ obviously hopes to gain more attention with this update (nEVeR SeTtlE, duh). whether it's a good decision or a bad one, only time will tell

Vladut123, PTuT, hennes and 1 other person like this.
  18. I1534056028812
    Cupcake Aug 12, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  19. gpontisz24
    Cupcake Aug 12, 2018

Vladut123 likes this.
  20. CodesCodger
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2018

CodesCodger , Aug 12, 2018 :
    i appreciate your thoughts. i wonder why my comment got deleted somehow. I believe oxygen os is a single master tree with three separate branches for 3/T, 5/T and 6. I know framework files are same across the devices. I am more concerned about the device specific changes and optimizations. Ultimately we have to rely on the blobs and HALs given by oneplus. HAL implementation and fixes are different from 5/T or 6 because they use kernel 4.X and oneplus 3/T uses kernel 3.x. Though our chipset have support for kernel 4.x, oneplus is not gonna upstream it. Speaking of HALs, buggy implementation of HAL1 and HAL3 is bothering third party apps and custom roms. newer android versions prefer hal3 over hal1 because it's newer and oneplus is still using hal1. I think we need proper implementation and optimizations on our HALs before moving to android P. Yeah, android P will be safe to use since we will receive an optimized version of it but still i'll be looking for the hal fixes and optimizations over newer version of android since we have rely on hals in future.

Vladut123 and hennes like this.