Android Pay cannot be used

1. f4remix
    Eclair Sep 21, 2015

f4remix , Sep 21, 2015 :
    for some of the unrooted and stock devices. When you add your cards to the Android pay app, make sure you call your credit card company to activate "Android Pay" for you. It froze everytime i tried using my Bank of America CC until i called in and activated on their side before i use it w/o any problem. Same thing with my Discover card. I never got it working at Mcdonalds but in Whole Food Markets ,so the paying terminals does matter.

2. PaulF8080
    Gingerbread Sep 21, 2015

PaulF8080 , Sep 21, 2015 :
    US Bank authorized my card right away and then sent me an email warning that someone used my card to connect to Google Play. I called US Bank about $5 for a bottle of Coke. They said it is new and may have bugs, I said, "so I am a beta tester?". He says, "exactly". He also said that Coke only asked for authorization and they won't transfer money for a few days and then US Band can settle it. I'm thinking CocaCola is keeping a balance to avoid more bank transaction fees.

vapos likes this.
  3. DanDuke641
    Honeycomb Sep 21, 2015

DanDuke641 , Sep 21, 2015 :
    I was able to set mine up using my Wells Fargo debit card with no problems.
    Using Android Pay is another story. I tried again today on a vending machine at work. It locked my phone and rebooted. Tried again after it booted and it worked.
    Seriously unreliable.

4. kingmunch
    Cupcake Sep 21, 2015

kingmunch , Sep 21, 2015 :
    i deleted my superSU file from my android after rooting it and now, whenever turned on, it is stuck in the opening screen, i can access bootloader but i cannot connect the phone to computer. help?

5. PaulF8080
    Gingerbread Sep 21, 2015

PaulF8080 , Sep 21, 2015 :
    The setup said it wanted verify my security which apparently needed a reboot because I was forced to reboot, like you. Works, but the needed screen lock is annoying.

6. DanDuke641
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2015

DanDuke641 , Sep 22, 2015 :
    It's definitely not worth the trouble of having to reboot to use it

Hopefully everyone that has an issue has left a poor review in the play store.

beltway likes this.
  7. PaulF8080
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2015

PaulF8080 , Sep 22, 2015 :
    Apparently you don't use windows on a PC. :) One reboot after install seems normal to me. If you have multiple reboots that is a whole different story. I had only one.

8. GoldenBoyRB
    Lollipop Sep 22, 2015

GoldenBoyRB , Sep 22, 2015 :
    this... even after latest update 30 minutes ago. im pretty sure blame is on Google. Wallet works fine with my unrooted and rooted OPO. i like how they keep my loyalty cards under 1 app... with the barcodes as well

9. GoldenBoyRB
    Lollipop Sep 22, 2015

i did that bad review... lol

10. slarsen
    Eclair Sep 22, 2015

slarsen , Sep 22, 2015 :
    Just turning off SuperUser worked for me to get the App started. Haven't tried it at a store yet and probably won't. Like some others, I only used Wallet for the Loyalty Card feature and the Google Wallet Master Card. What has me P.O.'d is Google removing the Loyalty Cards from Wallet.

11. PaulF8080
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2015

PaulF8080 , Sep 22, 2015 :
    More random thoughts. It's a Google app on a Google based OS. Maybe Pay added something in the boot scripts that only runs if you have root privilege. It would signal root or unlocked boot loader and it would explain the one boot I had to do.

12. beltway
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2015

beltway , Sep 22, 2015 :
    I also was able to follow the tip from here and disable SuperUser temporarily from within SuperSU to get a payment method set up but haven't been anywhere I could try a transaction yet.

If it only works after a crash and forced device reboot while standing at the checkout point trying to pay, it's not very useful. The whole point of apps like this and all the infrastructure supporting them is to make paying for things easier and faster.

Thanks to everybody posting their experiences.

13. contritribulator
    Eclair Sep 22, 2015

contritribulator , Sep 22, 2015 :
    Android Pay is really not that useful though, with however few retailers there are, but how do you also use gift cards

14. DanDuke641
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2015

DanDuke641 , Sep 22, 2015 :
    I've many years with windows. lol
    I haven't had a successful transaction without a reboot.

There should be 2 of them. :p

15. silvagroup
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2015

silvagroup , Sep 22, 2015 :
    New technogy, probably no "standard" for terminals, as most things will be able and hile to iron it all out and for ROM devs to figure out how to make it as ll work with custom ROMS.
    A wallet and cash have worked just fine for me for 50 years and doesn't seem to be a huge time saver, pull out phone our pull out wallet, either way swipe and enter code or sign.....

DanDuke641 likes this.
  16. GoldenBoyRB
    Lollipop Sep 22, 2015

the review, yes 2 of them, but the rating, if im not mistaken, 1 per user

17. CaneDrew
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2015

CaneDrew , Sep 22, 2015 :
    Doesn't work for me either. I was able to use Google Wallet for NFC payments fine on my rooted 12.1 COS. After upgrading to Android Pay I was unable to add my old Google Wallet card until I un-rooted. I already had a password protected lock screen setup. When I try to pay, however, it keeps asking me to enter my passcode to unlock the device. Over and over. And over. And over. I guess at least it doesn't crash my phone like some have reported, but it's still unusable. This is even after a full unroot. My bootloader is unlocked, FWIW.

18. gringoboy
    Lollipop Sep 22, 2015

gringoboy , Sep 22, 2015 :
    Same here. I just use the card, you don't have to type any numbers or anything. Can only spend £30 though so far......

19. CaneDrew
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2015

CaneDrew , Sep 22, 2015 :
    What people are missing is the technology and security behind it. When you use NFC the way Android Pay and Apple Pay are done, your card number isn't sent. The transaction is tokenized, so a one-time token is generated and sent for verification. In the event the merchant is hacked like Target or any of the other hundreds of credit card hacks over the years, only that one-time token is obtained by the criminals, your card number is never at risk. That's the real benefit of NFC payment.

DanDuke641 likes this.
  20. ouyamaster
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2015

ouyamaster , Sep 22, 2015 :
    Tried again at Walgreens with enable super su unchecked cos 12.1.
    Locks phone asks for a pin.
    It won't accept the correct pin.
    Says to enter pin to use android pay.
    Reboots phone afterwards.
    This is total crap.
    Would have been a great idea for Google to test this before rolling it out.

i5xswipe and mls2k3 like this.