Android Pay cannot be used

1. Spliffman
    KitKat Oct 13, 2015

Spliffman , Oct 13, 2015 :
    Is your Moto rooted?

2. TekRantGaming
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 13, 2015

TekRantGaming , Oct 13, 2015 :
    Android Pay will not work on a rooted device they have disabled it on phones that are rooted google it ...there are ways round but ...dont this is your card info were talking about

3. Greg0410

4. JosephJacksonPhotography
    Gingerbread Oct 13, 2015

JosephJacksonPhotography , Oct 13, 2015 :
    I have had the same issue! Its hit or miss as far as Android Pay working, Wallet work flawlessly. Love when they fix stuff that isn't broken.

dreamcore and gringoboy like this.
  5. blaw2
    Froyo Oct 13, 2015

blaw2 , Oct 13, 2015 :
    Yeah, Android Pay has really been a failure. I've given up on it until there's an update or reports that it's miraculously working now.

As a side note, in a previous post I mentioned my co-worker having an S6 Edge. I got him to sign up and use the new Samsung pay, which uses the LoopPay technology, and it does seem to work everywhere. It's funny to watch cashiers say, "oh, we don't have that here" and then see their reaction when it goes through. Definitely makes me envious.

6. JosephJacksonPhotography
    Gingerbread Oct 13, 2015

JosephJacksonPhotography , Oct 13, 2015 :
    Because of the Android Pay fail Merchants will stay away from installing systems to except this type of payment which really stinks!

7. mprez333
    Cupcake Oct 13, 2015

mprez333 , Oct 13, 2015 :
    Disappointing news in this thread to say the least. I was hopeful that Android Pay might be worth a shot, but the freedom to root and modify my phone is a bigger draw.

8. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Oct 13, 2015

tEf0o , Oct 13, 2015 :
    Same with play drm apps for me, now the funstuff works with media-play.

9. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Oct 13, 2015

tEf0o , Oct 13, 2015 :
    Its the long running lockdown of android, same that was don on windows...

10. Spliffman
    KitKat Oct 13, 2015

Spliffman , Oct 13, 2015 :
    OPO runs Cyanogen (well most do), and OP2 runs near stock Android Oxygen OS. Neither of them come with crapware.

11. i5xswipe

i5xswipe , Oct 13, 2015 :
    No, my OPO crashes every time at the pin screen.

12. i5xswipe

i5xswipe , Oct 13, 2015 :
    The good news, I would expect the next Cyanogen and Oxygen to have to resolve this issue to receive Google Certification.

I am sure it will be soon™

13. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Oct 14, 2015

tEf0o , Oct 14, 2015 :
    Easy rooting - bye bye

14. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 14, 2015

elanglois , Oct 14, 2015 :
    Do to new regulations, Wallet is being reconfigured and Android Pay is replacing its payment options. The banks are requiring a certified chain of trust which means that you can't have a rooted phone and the OS must be certified (no custom ROMs). This is to protect Google financially.

This information comes from a Google developer that shared the information with us on XDA. If you need to use Android Pay on root, people are working on ways to circumvent the checks. I don't know if its done yet, but early tests were good. If anyone really needs this send me a PM and I'll see if I can track down my contact.

dreamcore likes this.
  15. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 14, 2015

elanglois , Oct 14, 2015 :
    What? No. Do you know how chain of trust works? Its not about the code, the code is fine. Your unrooted OPO will work because the ROM is certified by OP (remember when the Oxygen was caught up in Google certification and everyone was mad at OnePlus?) The issue is who signs the ROM and verifies it hasn't been tampered with. Signing with developer test keys won't work since everyone has access to the keys.

You cant verify a chain of trust unless you limit who can sign the ROM. And if the bootloader is unlocked, you can modify the ROM files, so its not possible to have a trusted device if you flash it yourself. Google has to watch their 6

16. Mr. BG
    Welcoming Expert, Community Hero 2020 Community Expert Oct 14, 2015

Mr. BG , Oct 14, 2015 :
    Thanks for the info buddy, it's quite clear.

Not much sense of putting the money in your safe but leaving all doors open and the code in the cookie jar..

17. RazorCharlie
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 14, 2015

RazorCharlie , Oct 14, 2015 :
    Opo /2 needs nfc already...

18. i5xswipe
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 16, 2015

i5xswipe , Oct 16, 2015 :
    Exactly, I know Android Pay will not work on custom ROMs or rooted devices, due to the compatibility test suite (CTS) using the SafetyNet API.

My OPO is not rooted and running stock CyanogenOS. Android Pay does NOT work. There is something wrong with the OS and Android Pay.

It installs fine and sets-up, but you cannot actually make a physical payment. I assume this is a compatibility issue on the OPO. I would expect Googles certification process will ensure app compatibility of Google apps including Android Pay with future updates.

19. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Oct 17, 2015

tEf0o , Oct 17, 2015 :
    Is android pay backwards compatible then ?
    Aint that newer then opo

20. i5xswipe
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 18, 2015

i5xswipe , Oct 18, 2015 :
    Yes, of course it is. Just needs a stock Android hardware. The pay function requires NFC.

It is just a more advanced version of Google Wallet (old).